Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WHO: bacon is 'as big a cancer threat as smoking'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Yes processed meats may increase our risk of cancer but based on the average life expantancy map we are still living longer. Maybe if they stated eating bacon they might live longer !!!

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/world-life-expectancy-map

All it proves is that if anyone takes a single set of statistics and uses a world map, it can be used to prove anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

kazamo wrote: »
    Yes processed meats may increase our risk of cancer but based on the average life expantancy map we are still living longer. Maybe if they stated eating bacon they might live longer !!!

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/world-life-expectancy-map

All it proves is that if anyone takes a single set of statistics and uses a world map, it can be used to prove anything.

hi... I posted 2 world maps in the OP. Dont you think there could be a correlation between the 2 sets of data?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

While these people may be professionals and know far more about the topic than I ever will, that is just their opinion and I think we should eat more bacon and steak. We're both entitled to our opinions so we'll just have to agree that both possibilities should be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

hi... I posted 2 world maps in the OP. Dont you think there could be a correlation between the 2 sets of data?

There could. But the point is well made about life expectancy, many cancers arrive in old age, if you don't live that long you don't get cancer. Something like prostate cancer may have been less common in the past in Ireland because the men concerned had already died of TB.

It might be more interesting to look at different European counties, many of which have their own slightly different processed meats. Some of these processes may increase cancer, some not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

What next ? the world health organisation says that breathing in fresh air will cause cancer :eek:.

The amount of drugs they inject into animals as it is is the real worry while folk eat the infected animal. We need to fatten them all up so we can make more profit so we'll inject this and that into them and change their genetics to do so. It's getting to the stage now that everything is so contaminated by man/woman that nothing is healthy any-more.

Look at that amazing sizzling chunk of meat on the barby encapsulated with luscious herbs and delicious spices while holding back the drewl with a napkin, But it will give you cancer so it's better not to eat this delicious smelling food substance, yeah pull the other one, where's the fecking plate, where's the sauce.

When every-thing in the world is contaminated by man/woman then why care ? just enjoy the succulent. Can I please have some more you say ? well of course you can, enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Yes I did see both maps......however if you put your Muslim countries map alongside my life expantancy map you could reach the conclusion that not eating bacon reduces their life expantancy.

As I said before, if any of us use limited data we can prove whatever we choose. Cancer rates per country is a lot more complex issue than reducing it down to one particular food or a particular religious ethos. If levels of healthcare, smoking rates, salt intake etc were brought into the research, it may not make bacon elimination from our diet as the magic bullet to cure a high proportion of cancer in the western world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Remember a few weeks ago when it was "sugar is as bad as smoking", then there the "sitting is the new smoking" headlines and now it's bacon.

All this has served to do is make me think smoking mustn't be so bad after all and seeing as I'm not giving up sugar or sitting or indeed bacon why am I so anti smoking?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

*makes cigarette sandwich*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

kevin bacon

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

You don't win friends with salad!

• Advertisement

fast food is no good,

because it go in to fast and it go out too fast,

Smokey bacon , mmmmm

The thing is that they can probably easily enough amend the nature of meat processing to remove 80% of the risk, not so with smoking.

What makes me laugh with most folk is that they have whined for so long to stop people smoking but yet are happy to breath in carbon monoxide - dioxide every day they are out walking or jogging. You'll get your healthy dose of cancer there.

The persons that are having that big sunday roast... open the window and let the succulent aroma spread throughout the planet.

me don't want no big mac

me don't want no big mac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭GrayFox208

So long as there is chicken, turkey and fish available, I wouldn't miss red meat.. I might even go vegetarian for a while.

so.. You won't eat red meat, and you'll eat chicken turkey and fish.. And call that vegetarian? You'll go far in this life.

Human beings are carnivorous so that's life, life is life... Food is food.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Budget 2016 will now be introducing a €2 increase on a packet of rashers. It is hoped that by 2020 the price of a packet will be in line with a packet of 20 cigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

How many bacon farmers and their family members have died from cancer? Serious question.

These sorts of reports could cripple the industry. While the majority here can joke, many people will actually stop eating it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

It is really stark to see that the wealthiest First World countries have the highest rates of cancer, sometimes three times the rate of the developing world. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Teafor two12345

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    It is really stark to see that the wealthiest First World countries have the highest rates of cancer, sometimes three times the rate of the developing world. :eek:

Interesting fact here actually but Japan has the lowest death from cancer rates in the world or one of the lowest anyway. But conversely has a similar occurrence of cancer rate to anywhere in the developed world. This is because they have a great health system and early detection rates.

But when they had those earthquakes a lot of nuclear stations leaked and cancer rates soared among even very young people in recent years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Tarzana2 wrote: »

But that's probably because people in the first world live longer so increase the risk of getting cancer.

My granny died of cancer aged 79 as she said herself something had to kill her and in a way she didn't really die of cancer as she just died at a pretty normal age .

Dying of cancer (in the really tragic sense) in my opinion is someone who dies of it at a younger age dying of cancer when you are getting old is just dying of life really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭mattP

As a healthy meat eater (im talking a lot of it), out of a family of healthy meat eaters, I wont be losing any sleep or sausages over this :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

The seven degrees of smokey bacon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Interesting fact here actually but Japan has the lowest death from cancer rates in the world or one of the lowest anyway. But conversely has a similar occurrence of cancer rate to anywhere in the developed world. This is because they have a great health system and early detection rates.

We really seem to lag behind on early detection. Lung, pancreatic and colon cancer are almost always found when it is far, far too late here and in the UK and US.
    Dying of cancer (in the really tragic sense) in my opinion is someone who dies of it at a younger age dying of cancer when you are getting old is just dying of life really.

I'm 31, and I'll be gone in a few years from it. A lot of stupidity on my part coupled with a blasé attitude from a few doctors due to my age. But the thing is, even if I'd got it early, 30% of women diagnosed with breast cancer will still die from it. Early detection is publicised as a cure, but you never hear about the women for whom it returns. (I have a problem with the survival rates that are quoted anyway. There is an indolent kind of breast cancer that will never kill the person who has it. But these people are still treated and lumped in with the invasive breast cancer survivors. I think the survival rate for invasive breast cancer is much lower than we hear about.) Hardly any of the money raised goes towards metastatic breast cancer research. Meanwhile companies cynically latch on to the pink ribbon stuff to boost their own sales.

The quite impressive rates of survival for metastatic testicular cancer (Whatever reputation Lance Armstrong has now, his cancer was metastatic and here he is 20 years on, due to advances in treatment) shows it can be done for other cancers, though it will take a long, long time to crack them all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Teafor two12345

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Such a horrible disease.

Wonder why it ever evolved. Natural selection has a lot to answer for.

I am no expert but i think cancer is a generic term for a lot of different illnesses. Some of which are caused by viruses whilst others are caused by the environment or carcinogens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    so.. You won't eat red meat, and you'll eat chicken turkey and fish.. And call that vegetarian? You'll go far in this life.

Erm....he's not calling that vegetarian?

More vegetables would be no bad thing for this planet. Huge implications for health, the environment and global hunger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭ Natasha Enough Lecturer

Sure look if you want to live to 120 you can eat no bacon or steak, not drink, smoke or other e stuff, run around for 2 hours a day, sleep 8 hours a night and have no stress at all in your life. But jesus what would be the point. Life is for living, not aligning your habits to what some professor says they should be.

from the Jerusalem Post

The leading cause of death in Israel in 2011 was cancer, as the rate of heart disease has dropped by 80% since the 70s.

The prevalence of cancers and heart disease is nevertheless lower relatively to most other countries in the OECD, according the Central Bureau of Statistics, which released its data for 2011 on Wednesday.

This significant improvement in cardiovascular disease results from prevention: less smoking, improved medications, improved treatment techniques, better surgical skills and better medical skills.

The mortality rates of breast cancer, kidney disease and diabetes are, however, higher in Israel than in most OECD countries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I posted this in a different thread a couple of years ago. Its worth a look

Advertisement