Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Abuse

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I think and in the morning Diamonds of Frost was pointing out cowardice on the part of the person carrying out such abuse.

Not sure which party you are suggesting possesses strength in such a situation, I also think people who carry out psychological warfare against others are doing so as a consequence of their own cowardice. I think it stems from a position of self loathing or personal fears and unfortunately some seek to gain control of such emotions through inflicting hurt/control on others rather than try to overcome their demons. That is a cowardly act.

The alternative to self awareness is to ignore fledgling emotions which can escalate or to not learn the tools of how to look inward for solutions instead of striking out.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    being too self aware and thinking deeply about yourself is a recipe for unhappiness , if you are prompted to do so by someone with a malevolent agenda to harm you , self introspection can do great harm , its like searching for a problem that doesnt even exist

no reason to believe those kind of people are cowards , they are merely evil

I see it as a way to truly know myself. To know my motivations and desires and hurts. It leads me to an acceptance of everything about me and an understanding of other peoples humanity. I respect that it isn't for you and no doubt not the way for many. It may make you unhappy but I'm very content with myself and my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I see it as a way to truly know myself. To know my motivations and desires and hurts. It leads me to an acceptance of everything about me and an understanding of other peoples humanity. I respect that it isn't for you and no doubt not the way for many. It may make you unhappy but I'm very content with myself and my life.

fair play to you but due to past abuse i spent far too much time on introspection and it did me nothing but harm , left me constantly second guessing

i firmly believe ignorance is bliss

fair play to you but due to past abuse i spent far too much time on introspection and it did me nothing but harm , left me constantly second guessing

There are times when I would like to put it all back in to the box but for me that wouldn't be a good idea. We all have different ways of surviving and thriving in the world. If I didn't already know that then the last few months certainly showed it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

There are times when I would like to put it all back in to the box but for me that wouldn't be a good idea. We all have different ways of surviving and thriving in the world. If I didn't already know that then the last few months certainly showed it to me.

if you investigate , you will always find something you dont like , better to just keep busy and not think about things , thats providing you are not harming anyone

some people certainly need to take a long hard look at themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

This. It's timing really. There are times we need to keep it in the box to survive and times when the contents of the box start spilling out til you can't ignore it anymore. It's important to have positive supports around you if the stuff in your box is really toxic. For me that can be something as simple as remembering someone once encountered with a truly beautiful and light spirit. There are lots of really rotten to the core individuals in the world and some of us have the misfortune to be born into families with one or many of them or getting ducked into relationships with them. For me, just knowing that there are people who live and embody the polar opposite of that can stop me from sinking under sometimes. Until I'm ready to go digging in that box.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

hayoc wrote: »
    Its a hugely complex question.

Take a well rounded confident individual, lock them in a house with an abuser, and they may well recognise immediately that they are being abused.

Take someone with a background of being abused, learning survival and coping mechanisms, lock them in a house with an abuser and they will revert straight to trying to protect themselves.

But no one gets suddenly locked into an abusive relationship. Its the Frog in Boiling Water example. You throw a frog into hot water, he will jump out immediately. Put him in cold water and heat it and he will stay a lot longer than he should.

Abusers pick victims, they dont start out showing their true colours. They use abusive tactics over time, isolation, making the victim think they deserve it, they normalise it. Denial is very strong, and so is fear.

I come from an abusive background and I would run a mile from a drinker or anything related to alcoholic abuse. But I have been in abusive relationships since that I did not realise were abusive because it was a different type of abuse.

What a fantastic explanation of abuse.
    Couldn’t explain it better.

OP your to recognise that abuse occurs very slowly where the abuser tries to push boundaries little by little until over time they are gone.
    The relationships start off lovely and healthy and the abusers learns their partners ticks and weaknesses which they will use against them little by little.

It’s only when you look back overs years can the victims start to see the extent of the damage done.

I'd kind of agree with this..
    Kind of similar happened to me..I'd spent years of the mindset that the unexamined life isn't worth living.. questioning everything, constantly trying to delve into my own motivations etc..
    Then, yeah, others with questionable intentions started doing the same, and there wasn't enough of me for me to hold on to..

I think there's a lot to be said for ignorance being bliss now..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'd kind of agree with this..
    Kind of similar happened to me..I'd spent years of the mindset that the unexamined life isn't worth living.. questioning everything, constantly trying to delve into my own motivations etc..
    Then, yeah, others with questionable intentions started doing the same, and there wasn't enough of me for me to hold on to..

I think there's a lot to be said for ignorance being bliss now..

I think it depends on the impact which a prior event has had or continues to have on your quality of life. If it truly is in the past, and you have found a way to deal with it, (either through ignoring it, or whatever) then I would agree that there is no value in seeking to open up that episode.

But, if you suffer in areas of your life in your mood, or how you engage with others and have such an event in the background, I think that it would be worth exploring in the correct environment to determine if the solution to your problems could be helped be looking at the past.

A skilled and experienced therapist will know whether or not to focus on the past, or to focus on techniques to overcome uncomfortable modern day practices or tendencies.
    If we think we have a stone in our shoe, we take it off and check, we don't just automatically walk with a limp and continue to do so.

Advertisement