Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spring 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

highdef wrote: »
    Why is it being unseasonably cool a good thing?

Because we do not all like excessive heat :rolleyes:

Yesterday was perfect; warm enough to sit out in the sun without roasting. hoping today will develop the same but even met ie speak of almost flat calm. which means midges

Flat calm out there. Between midges and hay fever I am banjaxed..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭highdef

Graces7 wrote: »
    Because we do not all like excessive heat :rolleyes:
    Yeah but unseasonably cool in May basically means cold. May is not a particularly warm month, in any case. So for it to be unseasonably cool means that it's rather cold.

I don't think "excessive heat" is in any part of this argument, just the discussion of an unusually cold late spring month. Fair enough if we were encroaching on 30c during the month of May, then excessive heat could be brought into the equation but for most regions of the country on most days, mid teens seems to be the order of the day for the maximum temperature. Sometimes a bit warmer, sometimes a bit cooler but on the the whole it's inarguably been a very cool month thus far with the drier than normal weather being the only thing that's kept the month from feeling unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Grass beginning to show signs of stress here with a clear 'yellowing' along verges & edges. Open fields nearby not looking so bad, probably because of early morning mists that have allowed some trace moisture to be collected.

Looked like the heavens were going to open here 30 mins ago, and one or 2 big drops did fall but that was it.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Grass beginning to show signs of stress here with a clear 'yellowing' along verges & edges. Open fields nearby not looking so bad, probably because of early morning mists that have allowed some trace moisture to be collected.

Looked like the heavens were going to open here 30 mins ago, and one or 2 big drops did fall but that was it.

Heavy clay here. Ground has turned very hard. Water table way down. Grass growth in fields poor for this time of year tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭acequion

For me personally this May has been close to perfect. I wouldn't want a roasting May, it would be very inconvenient in my line of work and as somebody pointed out already, it's not even summer yet. I get all summery from June. I generally go for a sun holiday in early June and come back acclimatised to high temps and wanting them here,though the roasting temps rarely materialise in Kerry. But hey[before anyone attacks me] that's just me! Weather,costs,taxes and aging are things we all experience and each in his own personal way.

The brightness and sunshine this May has been a balm to the soul. Getting up each morning to a crystal clear view of the magnificent Macgillycuddy Reeks to the south, etched against a blue sky and the late, late light of the evenings,being able to go beach walking at 9pm, is just marvellous. While I'd miss my heat, I'd trade it just for a summer of this fabulous brightness and clarity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

^ great post :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Freezing in Dublin everyone in winter coats. Im certain previous Mays were nicer. Whever global warming is taking place, it certainly skipped Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The_Brood wrote: »
    Freezing in Dublin everyone in winter coats. Im certain previous Mays were nicer. Whever global warming is taking place, it certainly skipped Ireland.

Dublin and the east coast has generally had a cool May so far, first week of May was like the middle of winter. The past 2 weeks have been much better in terms of dryness but temperatures have struggled a bit.

It's certainly been milder further west and south. Cool May's in Dublin are not unusual. We often get an easterly in May with sea breezes off a cold Irish sea really shaving the edge off the temperatures within 60km of the Irish Sea coastline.

Hopefully June will bring us some proper warmth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

UK Met Office 10 day forecast:

I don't know what it is lately, but these forecasts by the once renowned UK Met have become increasingly dumbed down in a sort of Americanised way, and with regards this particular presenter, who seems to be some sort of head honcho, his obsession with the 'jet stream' is really becoming off-putting and increasingly grating to listen to. He can barely go 10 second without mentioning it, not just in this particular forecast, but in pretty much any video forecast that he presents. Add to this the ridiculously animated style of presenting, which in fairness, is not exclusive to this lad. It really makes you wonder if UK weather presenters have to take dance lessons before they become TV presenters?

Say what you like about our own TV forecasters, but at least they haven't succumbed to this US friendly, in your face style of presenting just yet. Far classier altogether.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The_Brood wrote: »

I've been out the back doing some bits and pieces and I've found it a warm evening

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Tried to sit out this evening but the wind is just a bit too cool for my liking. Very warm to me would be temps in excess of 25 degrees. I doubt it’s more than 15 at the moment and the breeze is taking the edge right off it as it’s done for most of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Super day today, even managed to get a little sunburn

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Tried to sit out this evening but the wind is just a bit too cool for my liking. Very warm to me would be temps in excess of 25 degrees. I doubt it’s more than 15 at the moment and the breeze is taking the edge right off it as it’s done for most of this month.

Trying not to be smart here but if you're waiting around for days in excess of 25 degrees you could very well be spending the entire year indoors.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Trying not to be smart here but if you're waiting around for days in excess of 25 degrees you could very well be spending the entire year indoors.

Big difference between 15 and 25c though. If 25c is considered very warm (which I would generally agree with), about 20c would be considered warm if accompanied by light winds and fairly unbroken sunshine. With a breeze going and/or cloudy spells, it would need to be around 22/23c before I'd consider it warm.

Again, each to their own however I have to agree about the fantastic clarity and visibility. The air source, which has regularly being sourced from continental Europe, had resulted in some extremely low humidity at times which had led to some stunning visibility.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

chilly enough evening here in Meath, currently only 12C. Next week looks even cooler with daytime temperatures struggling between 9 and 14C for many places. Cool conditions lasting into early June with temperatures recovering from about 4th June.

lawred2 wrote: »

Trust me I’m not waiting around for it but I’m just pointing out that 15 degrees is not my idea of very warm. No likes in that I know but each to their own.

Big difference between 15 and 25c though. If 25c is considered very warm (which I would generally agree with), about 20c would be considered warm if accompanied by light winds and fairly unbroken sunshine. With a breeze going and/or cloudy spells, it would need to be around 22/23c before I'd consider it warm.

Again, each to their own however I have to agree about the fantastic clarity and visibility. The air source, which has regularly being sourced from continental Europe, had resulted in some extremely low humidity at times which had led to some stunning visibility.

Would agree 100% with this.

Yeah but unseasonably cool in May basically means cold. May is not a particularly warm month, in any case. So for it to be unseasonably cool means that it's rather cold.

I don't think "excessive heat" is in any part of this argument, just the discussion of an unusually cold late spring month. Fair enough if we were encroaching on 30c during the month of May, then excessive heat could be brought into the equation but for most regions of the country on most days, mid teens seems to be the order of the day for the maximum temperature. Sometimes a bit warmer, sometimes a bit cooler but on the the whole it's inarguably been a very cool month thus far with the drier than normal weather being the only thing that's kept the month from feeling unpleasant.

You are misunderstanding as you are seeing/assessing it from a tech meteorological view whereas my view is subjective.

And no no excessive heat and I did not say there was but just enough to make sitting out pleasant even for very old folk who cannot tolerate excessive heat and to whom excessive has a personal rather techn meaning

Mid teens is perfection. anything more is too much! It has been thus a perfect week weather wise. Hardly VERY cool, but again thi sis always subjective

Offline now a few weeks due to increasing illness. Blessings and peace

Trust me I’m not waiting around for it but I’m just pointing out that 15 degrees is not my idea of very warm. No likes in that I know but each to their own.

exactly so! I was raised during the War and after without central heating and find folks seem these days to need far far more heating than we ever had,

The mid teens is as high as is comfortable FOR ME. Last summer was torture. lol.. vive la difference

ps raining water and midges here

Over and out..not enough well to stay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Anyone else having trouble seeing MT forecasts.
    It will show new post 2hours ago but when I open it, yesterday's forecast is the newest one
    . This only happens every now and then..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Anyone else having trouble seeing MT forecasts.
    It will show new post 2hours ago but when I open it, yesterday's forecast is the newest one
    . This only happens every now and then..

That happens to me nearly all the time on mobile. On PC, I've never had the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

exactly so! I was raised during the War and after without central heating and find folks seem these days to need far far more heating than we ever had,

The mid teens is as high as is comfortable FOR ME. Last summer was torture. lol.. vive la difference

ps raining water and midges here

Over and out..not enough well to stay

aw hope you feel better Graces7. Keep us posted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

sryanbruen wrote: »
    That happens to me nearly all the time on mobile. On PC, I've never had the issue.

No issues here on mobile
    Incidentally Met Éireann's forecast this morning differs on tomorrow's showers
    He says connaught and South Ulster

They say mainly in the East
    Big difference

You are misunderstanding as you are seeing/assessing it from a tech meteorological view whereas my view is subjective.

And no no excessive heat and I did not say there was but just enough to make sitting out pleasant even for very old folk who cannot tolerate excessive heat and to whom excessive has a personal rather techn meaning

Mid teens is perfection. anything more is too much! It has been thus a perfect week weather wise. Hardly VERY cool, but again thi sis always subjective

Maybe it's a local thing. You live off the west coast so higher temperatures are far less likely than on the mainland so you would most likely be used to lower overall temperatures than the majority of people in Ireland.

Having said that, there are a lot of elderly people living in the part of Dublin where I work. At 15c, any of them out and about will be wrapped up in a heavy winter jacket, the ladies with head scarfs and the gents with flat caps. Even when the temperatures are nearer the 20c mark, most will still be in full winter outfits which is what I have learned to expect.....older people seem to need more heat around them to keep warm. Obviously a continued rise in temperatures will eventually become too warm for various groups of people especially when the outside temperatures reaches a point where it's difficult to cool your dwelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Overcast in cork today for the first time in a while, had a light shower aswell. Just saw the 1pm weather though showing 20 degrees in the south tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

met eireann is telling me its 18 degrees celsius in dublin today???? in north dublin its overcast and cold

met eireann is telling me its 18 degrees celsius in dublin today???? in north dublin its overcast and cold

I just checked the met Eireann forecast for the Dublin region and it's forecasting highs of 14c to 16c today with mainly cloudy conditions but some brighter spells through the afternoon, together with light variable winds. I'm just back from a 5km walk around the Dublin 8 area and forecast sounds spot in. Could be nearer the 17c for me due to urban heat Island effect but that would be typical.

Looking at the latest readings from Dublin airport (probably your nearest official met station) and at 14:00 it was 16c there, which ties in well with the forecast.

Can you link to your 18c forecast for the Dublin region, according to Met Eireann? The forecast details sometimes differ. I was looking on the www version.

In any case 2c lower than the 18c you mention is very little. With winds being light and variable, there's a chance you've and onshore breeze if you're located close to the coast. That would bring temperatures down a little bit more than widely forecasted for the region but this would be considered more of a microclimate issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A summer with temperatures between 22- 24 degrees would be ideal for me. I am not a fan of temperatures in the high twenties to low 30s - especially when you are stuck in heavy traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

A summer with temperatures between 22- 24 degrees would be ideal for me. I am not a fan of temperatures in the high twenties to low 30s - especially when you are stuck in heavy traffic.

That’s why we have the beautiful invention of Air Con ;-)

• Advertisement

pad199207 wrote: »
    That’s why we have the beautiful invention of Air Con ;-)

Thankfully now included on basically all new cars, right down to poverty spec. Air con is an essential in a car, summer and winter, for different reasons.

Advertisement