Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Fibre

• 14-06-2012 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

I am living in Ennis Co. Clare and am on a 8mb broadband package with Eircom and am only getting around 3mb. When I go onto the Eircom site and type my phone line number in the box that say's "Can you receive fibre broadband" and it says I can get 25mb fibre and 50mb. Could this be an error on the site or can I actual sign up for Eircom right now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭SickBoy

briggy wrote: »
    I am living in Ennis Co. Clare and am on a 8mb broadband package with Eircom and am only getting around 3mb. When I go onto the Eircom site and type my phone line number in the box that say's "Can you receive fibre broadband" and it says I can get 25mb fibre and 50mb. Could this be an error on the site or can I actual sign up for Eircom right now?
    You lucky lucky Bastard!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Which part of ennis are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭briggy

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Which part of ennis are you in?

I am living out the Tulla Road out in Roslevan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Unfortunately I think its an error on the site, Ennis isn't in phase 1 of the fibre roll out. It might be available at some stage though as they are rolling it out nationwide.

First thing, eircom fibre is only in parts of Wexford and south Dublin

Tulla road falls under two exchanges, the ennis exchange which is NGB enabled, and a rural exchange which isn't

For example, The ghost estate behind the shopping centre has something like 3 houses on NGB and the rest on the other exchange. Cappahard is all on the old exchange,

Castle rock is Ngb, but forest park which is joined onto is isn't

Do you mind me asking which estate it is?

• Advertisement

iMuse wrote: »
    Unfortunately I think its an error on the site, Ennis isn't in phase 1 or 2 of the fibre roll out. It might be available at some stage though as they are rolling it out nationwide.

It says that Ennis is in pahse 2 but it never said what parts of Ennis were going to be connected. Even though when I put my phone number in the box here: http://www.eircom.net/broadband/fibre/ It says I can get the 25 and 50 meg packages.

First thing, eircom fibre is only in parts of Wexford and south Dublin

Tulla road falls under two exchanges, the ennis exchange which is NGB enabled, and a rural exchange which isn't

For example, The ghost estate behind the shopping centre has something like 3 houses on NGB and the rest on the other exchange. Cappahard is all on the old exchange,

Castle rock is Ngb, but forest park which is joined onto is isn't

Do you mind me asking which estate it is?

An tSean Dun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

briggy wrote: »
    It says that Ennis is in pahse 2 but it never said what parts of Ennis were going to be connected. Even though when I put my phone number in the box here: http://www.eircom.net/broadband/fibre/ It says I can get the 25 and 50 meg packages.

Sorry you are correct it is in phase 2. Im in Letterkenny and its in phase 1, my number says its available on the site but its not actually available when you call eircom. Apparently phase 2 won't be live till early 2013.

I'm 99% sure it's an NGB estate but from memory (used to work for eircom in ennis) the lines can't handle anywhere near 8mb. It would appear you'll be stuck with these speeds unless eircom do a serious amount of work in your estate or UPC come along.(which isn't any time soon )

Ennis is listed for NGN alright,

I'm 99% sure it's an NGB estate but from memory (used to work for eircom in ennis) the lines can't handle anywhere near 8mb. It would appear you'll be stuck with these speeds unless eircom do a serious amount of work (which they won't) or UPC come along.(which isn't any time soon either)

The broadband here isn't totally unusable here but I would rather get faster speeds as I am currently paying for 8mb and only getting around 3mb which isn't acceptable.

• Advertisement

Just checked and it's NGB alright

You're paying for UP TO 8mb - which is what you're getting. Sucks, but that's what you signed up for.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

iMuse wrote: »
    Unfortunately I think its an error on the site, Ennis isn't in phase 1 of the fibre roll out. It might be available at some stage though as they are rolling it out nationwide.
    iMuse did you check fibre availability in Letterkenny in the last day or two? They seem to have have fixed it. I'm back to normal - fibre availability gone.
    The KN crews must be nearly finished their runs from the exchange to the cabinets and their work on the cabinets. I only hope the eircom lads can step up to the mark and finalise their end of the job as quickly as the KN crews did theirs!!! Knowing our luck we'll hardly see anything before the end of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Was Ennis not the new 'information age' (or something like that) town back a few years ago?so eircom have completely abandoned that too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Was Ennis not the new 'information age' (or something like that) town back a few years ago?so eircom have completely abandoned that too?

No, it was the information age town, where Eircom split the lines to make sure everyone got a phone line, but of course these split lines can't do broadband.....short sighted

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭talkingpj

Just had a eircom technician out as I am getting 8mb broadband on lahinch road. He said that they are currently laying fibre cabling and I will be able to get up to 50mg in jan/feb. I forgot to ask will i need to get a technician out for an upgrade etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭swoofer

yes when fibre becomes available you will need a different modem/router and at the moment an eircom technician will need to visit to hook it all up. As for the Jan/Feb date I would not get too excited. Letterkeny is already cabled and not a notion of rolling out the connections. In another thread it gave the latest schedules of the roll out and Easter 2013 was the completion for Phase 3. The likelihood is that eircom will wait until all is ready and then do a big bang so it could be another 6 months or more. But we live in hope.....

Well I just hope they roll out the fibre in the part of Ennis where I'm from.....

Advertisement