Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Golf Society 2020

• 29-10-2019 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭

Ladies, Gentlemen (and Benny :D)

Now that the 2019 Boards Society season has come to a successful end with a triumphant retaining of the Ryder Jug, it gives me great pleasure to announce the venues for the 2020 season. I wanted to get the venues & dates out there early to let people start planning early & hopefully drum up some interest among new members.

So, without further ado:

ADJUSTED COVID-19 REMAINING SCHEDULE

July 18th, 12.00 - Klkea Castle

August 29th, 14:00 - Gowran Park Golf Club

Captains Prize, September 12th, 12:00 - Dromoland Castle Golf Club

October 10th, 11.30 - Palmerstown House Golf Club

Membership is €30 for the year. We have 8 outings with the best 5 outings counting towards both Golfer Of The Year as well as making the Ryder Jug team.

At each outing points are allocated to all attendees depending on your finishing position, using a scoring system similar to that used for the FedEx Cup on the PGA Tour (though being top of the leaderboard will not give you a stableford points headstart for captains :D).

The top 10 each year automatically qualify for the Ryder Jug team & the Captain (Me) has 2 wildcard picks. The Ryder Jug team plays against another Society, "The Reps", normally around the 3rd Saturday in October with the venue tba.

As mentioned above new members are most welcome! To those feeling a bit nervous about the idea of joining an online society & meeting up to play golf with a crowd of strangers, please give it a chance. I took that chance a few years ago, and haven't looked back! We are a unique society & one that is passionate about our golf. Whether you're a scratch golfer or a 36-handicap player, as long as you love golf, you'll be welcome amongst the society. There is no requirement to have a GUI handicap in order to join the society.

This is a link to the society charter & rules for everyones reference: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057510992

This year we'll be returning to a couple of old favourites, but also introducing a few new courses to the roster, with a mix of links, heathland & parkland.

I've tried to balance out the journey times as best I can to keep our Cork/Soutwest crew & our Leinster based members happy. I'd just like to thank the committee for all the help so far! The advice has been invaluable, and I hope it shows in the value & standard of courses we have lined up for next year.

Many thanks to Benny, our outgoing Captain. He has made everyone, new or old, in the society feel welcome at every outing, and had a fantastic, and successful year.

Thanks to the committee for the nomination to be the incoming Captain. I hope we all have a great year & continue to grow the society we all love.

Looking forward to seeing you all in the new year.

Happy golfing

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Nice mix, West Waterford is new to me and happy to go back to all the others, great selection to look forward to Cap

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

slave1 wrote: »
    Nice mix, West Waterford is new to me and happy to go back to all the others, great selection to look forward to Cap
    Cheers, yeah, it was one of Kevin Markham's "must play courses you've never heard of" (slight paraphrase there) so thought it was definitely worth a look & should be somewhere new for most of the members I would think

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Excellent, I can't wait to get going.
    A great selection of courses there and Space is a great man to lead us into 2020. Best of luck with your year as captain, enjoy it.

Unfortunately I'll be out of the country for March and April outings, but hopefully the stars will align and I can make it to the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

Cheers, yeah, it was one of Kevin Markham's "must play courses you've never heard of" (slight paraphrase there) so thought it was definitely worth a look & should be somewhere new for most of the members I would think

In case u don't already know west waterford gc is up for sale at the moment, so may be a good idea to have an alternative venue just in case it sells/closes in the mean time

golfguy1 wrote: »
    In case u don't already know west waterford gc is up for sale at the moment, so may be a good idea to have an alternative venue just in case it sells/closes in the mean time

if there is any chance it could be rescheduled to the Emirates Club that would suit me fine please gaffer :D

• Advertisement

Cheers for the info golfguy. Have 1 back-up locked down, and a good 2nd back-up that should be available too if needs be

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

My home course (Curragh), and my favourite away course (Enniscrone). Lovely stuff...can't wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Great lineup! Can't wait for the year to begin! Enniscrone was my fav course ever when I played it last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Great list. After an absence of a few years I hope to join up with ye again. Bit of driving from Galway but hope to make at least 50% and definitely making Enniscrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

Ah ye feckers. I was hoping to join this year if portmarnock links was on the list. I can walk to the course from my house. You'd have to put it on the day I'm supposed to be getting married! I see tramore, the course I grew up on there also. I suspect you'll enjoy it, but I'll be interested to see what ye make of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

How do I sign up for the society?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

blue note wrote: »
    Ah ye feckers. I was hoping to join this year if portmarnock links was on the list. I can walk to the course from my house. You'd have to put it on the day I'm supposed to be getting married! I see tramore, the course I grew up on there also. I suspect you'll enjoy it, but I'll be interested to see what ye make of it.

Before they redesigned some of the holes it was a lovely course. Pity they ruined some of the unique/better holes

• Registered Users Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Lads I might join this year as I "think" I should be free for most of those weekends so if you've space a very casual golfer that would be great.

I'm a member in Bunclody as well so fire away if ye have any questions.

The Millrace has closed down so if anyone is staying the night before, Enniscorthy is probably your best bet or try Clody Lodge just beside the club.

How do I sign up for the society?

This is a part of a post from Seve from last years thread:
    Seve OB wrote:
    Anyway, lads and lassies, I manage Teamer which we use to organise the outings.

If you are new here, interested in joining up, drop me a PM with your name, email, phone number, handicap and club. No biggie if you don't have a club or handicap, we will sort you out. Beginners, improvers, pros...... All welcome.

You'll need to sign up to Teamer (easiest way is to install their app on your phone).

Once you're on there, you'll get a notification when the timesheet is opened for an upcoming event, and you just need to Accept/Decline to confirm if you're playing

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Supposed?? ..... Dont thínk the other half would like to read that....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭benny79

Great selection of courses there Space! good few I'm dying to play. Its great been able to hand over the Captaincy to a good man like yourself Space!

I cant wait for the 2020 season to start. So I can relax and concentrate on my game :D

best of luck for the Year! You are already off to a great start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

Before they redesigned some of the holes it was a lovely course. Pity they ruined some of the unique/better holes

I can't agree with that at all. I can imagine people saying that about the 4th, 12th and 15th. But in the case of the 4th it was a dated hole. It was described as needing 2 big Carrie's to get to the green, but ib the end it was a relatively easy lay up and a pitching wedge in. They had to change it. For the 15th the bunker island green looked great, but it had drainage problems. Again, had to be changed. 15 is the only hole on the course that wasn't made better in my view.

But overall I think the redesign was excellent. The greens are much tougher, the course got some length which it needed and you have to think your way around the course in a way that you previously didn't. The 9 added holes were excellent too, it's such a shame the members didn't embrace them. The 9th on that 9 is my favourite of the 27. But I think the membership was a bit old for the redesign in general. The blue tees are never used and even the captain's prize tends to be stableford off the whites. They don't enjoy the challenge of the full course.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

that's the grub after the round sorted, how many of us can you fit in?!!!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Start as you mean to go on, play Portmarnock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Start as you mean to go on, play Portmarnock

Agree, you'd still make dinner & full afters.
    It's done now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

Can’t wait to get going again, great list space, looking forward to next years golf already

Just want to say the work you lads put into the society doesn’t go unnoticed, at least not all the time, Bennyand all on the committee, you did a mighty job and I know space will be great, cheers to you all ðŸº

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

Super list of courses, great to have the schedule well in advance. I know I won't make all of these but I think I should be in for at least half of them. Thanks Space!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Great list of courses, I see a chance of a few overnighters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Enniscrone is my favourite course in Ireland, been looking for an excuse

Portmarnock should become the traditional starter!!

I am going to do an end of year review of handicaps
    can all society member please update me with their most recent official handicaps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

Good Idea to do the HCP Review...............

My GUI is 11 (10.8)

GUI 9.6 Seve

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭paulos53

My GUI is 10.9

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Mine is 15.4

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Mine is still 17.4.

Advertisement