Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LGBT and Islam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,400 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Westernised Muslims. Different type of people. Similar to ourselves

So you agree that this statement by you
    All Muslims don't like you

Was a lie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

So you agree that this statement by you

Was a lie.

Both are true.

Both are true.

How illogical will you be getting tonight because honestly......idiotic pists like that are 10 a penny on boards saturday nights.

You're going to have to up your game somewhat if you're going to continue seeking attention.

How illogical will you be getting tonight because honestly......idiotic pists like that are 10 a penny on boards saturday nights.

You're going to have to up your game somewhat if you're going to continue seeking attention.

I'll try my best just for you. I have also contacted friends working at Citi Bank to verify your story.
    I will get back to you in time

I'll try my best just for you. I have also contacted friends working at Citi Bank to verify your story.
    I will get back to you in time

Which of the 214,000 employees? Which of the 2,649 branches in 19 countries does he/she work? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Which of the 214,000 employees? Which of the 2,649 branches in 19 countries does he/she work? :rolleyes:

Il find out. Don't you worry.
    You were the chap making the tea in the canteen. I know that much.

Il find out. Don't you worry.
    You were the chap making the tea in the canteen. I know that much.

Nah i was in IT, I was wearing a shirt, shouldn't be too hard for someone of your intelligence;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Are gay Muslims accepted as Muslims by other Muslims though?

Yes. Get over it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I never said nor implied this, this is just your own silly interpretation of what i said

You said he was attacked by Christians. What was the point of mentioning their (presumed) religion?

Yes. Get over it.

No

• Advertisement

Nah i was in IT, I was wearing a shirt, shouldn't be too hard for someone of your intelligence;)

No sugar , nice drop of milk please

• Registered Users Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes. Get over it.

In some Country's, Yes, they are accepted, but in other's, no. At least not openly. It's not a case of world wide acceptance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,934 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

jmreire wrote: »
    In some Country's, Yes, they are accepted, but in other's, no. At least not openly. It's not a case of world wide acceptance.

The more seriously people take religions like Christianity and Islam, the more likely they are to discriminate against gays. It's lucky for us that people in Ireland don't tend to take catholicism seriously. But those that know catholicism know that homosexuality is forbidden.

Over time the catholics will adapt and develop interpretations that accommodate gays. Islam is miles behind in so far as Muslims actually tend to know their religion and take it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

The more seriously people take religions like Christianity and Islam, the more likely they are to discriminate against gays. It's lucky for us that people in Ireland don't tend to take catholicism seriously. But those that know catholicism know that homosexuality is forbidden.

Over time the catholics will adapt and develop interpretations that accommodate gays. Islam is miles behind in so far as Muslims actually tend to know their religion and take it seriously.

Why then, as the op suggests are the lgbt community showing support for Islam and not Christianity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/muslim-parent-birmingham-school-islamophobia-homophobia-lgbt-a8756421.html?amp&ved=2ahUKEwjR4bCar-ziAhUypnEKHY_QCOwQFjABegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw0veLpUkxqXjmPNmjipn1XJ&ampcf=1

This is the reality in the UK where the majority of Muslims believe homosexuality should be criminilised and where teachers are being ostracized for having the audacity to tell children being gay is nothing to be ashamed of.

The usual suspects maintain Islam and the LGBT communities can live harmoniously... these usual suspects are willfully deluded

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The usual suspects maintain Islam and the LGBT communities can live harmoniously... these usual suspects are willfully deluded

They are living harmoniously. Are we bombing each other or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Are you saying that ISIS are representative of over a billion muslims?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Gay people are living harmoniously in muslim nations???

See this is the reason why intelligent discussion cannot happen in After Hours, you get posters such as the above posting disingenuously just to start an argument, that this is their form of entertainment on a Saturday night is pitiful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Why then, as the op suggests are the lgbt community showing support for Islam and not Christianity?

Premise is false to begin with. As is the original post.
    Point me to any stats on the gay community supporting Islam? You have a picture. From an unknown source. Claiming all lgbt people support Islam.

I’m a Dubliner and I’ve lived in a few cities in Europe and the states. I have never once seen or heard of lgbt folks supporting Islam or even protesting ordinary Muslims being abused or suffering islamaphobia

It’s a stupid word. Islamaphobia. It’s there and it happens. No doubt about it.
    To quote the meme, ‘It’s not a phobia. You’re an asshole’

But if they’re suffering abuse and gay and trans people are suffering abuse it might just be that straight white Christians, so called, are the problem.

• Advertisement

Odhinn wrote: »

801.jpg

But if they’re suffering abuse and gay and trans people are suffering abuse it might just be that straight white Christians, so called, are the problem.

Yes. It's all the straight white Christian's fault.

Unbelievable.

Yes, up to a point, but there is a difference. Catholics follow the Bible, New Testament version, but it's not legally binding. It all depends on how "deep" ( for want of a better word) a Catholic you are. In the last 20-30 years or so, many Catholics are Catholic in name only. Baptism, Marriage, Death's etc they will use, but outside of that, they don't see the inside of a Church from one end of the year to the other. There is absolutely nothing that the Church can do about it. None the less, there is still a hard core of Catholics, whose faith is unwavering, and they are at the heart of the Church in Ireland today.
    Muslims, on the other hand, follow the Koran but there is one major difference. Where as the Bible is not legally binding ( Law of the Land), the Koran is. It covers EVERY activity of a practicing Muslim's life. It affects how he react's to every day events he encounters. In a Muslim Country, a policeman, on the beat, who see's a Muslim breaking any part of Sharia Law, can arrest that man on the spot. If a Catholic Priest see's a Catholic breaking the Law of the Land, he is powerless, even if he see's some one committing a sin.. or breaking Church Law, there is nothing he can do. So it's not surprising that Muslims are more "connected" with Islam, if that's the proper way to describe it. Say for example, that of all the Islamic grouping's that exist, at the centre the Wahabbi's in Saudi Arabia are the most strict version ( which most likely they are....) But the further removed from that Wahabbi center you are, in terms of actual distance and influence, the more you will find less strict versions of Islam, until you reach a place like Ireland, where Muslims are basically as "liberated" as it's possible to be, and still call yourself a Muslim. The tolerance for LGBT groups would follow the same trajectory.
    There is no mention in the New Testament of killing Gays or LGBT, what ever about accepting them.Plus, if a Catholic ( or anyone else either) kills or physically harms ( or even mentally as in Discrimination ) he or she will have to answer for it in the Law of the Land here in Ireland. So Irish People may like or dislike LGBT People, but the thought's of doing serious jail time is a powerfull deterrent.
    But the Koran holds different view's, and the nearer you get to the centre of Islam ( Wahabbi's ) not only is killing LGBT people allowed, in fact it is mandated.

Yes. It's all the straight white Christian's fault.

Unbelievable.

I’d love to live in your bullet proof bubble.*
    I’ve never once had abuse or violence from anyone identifiable as Muslim. Anywhere.

I have several times from straight white angry sh!thead males. More times than I care to remember in fact. In Ireland more than anywhere else.

We won. We’re equal. This adjustment period will take some time for idiots to come around to but we will still be here.

*You said earlier you suffered and experienced abuse. Now it’s unbelievable?

*You said earlier you suffered and experienced abuse. Now it’s unbelievable?

I did. What has that to do with anything?

I did. What has that to do with anything?

Say what you want about Muslims. They follow the rules as laid down in their Koran.

‘Christians’? However..their bible says Jesus and his message was peace love and forgiveness.
    ‘Love one another’
    Not a bit of that from his diminishing number of ardent supporters though. Sadly.

Odhinn wrote: »

No, I am not really worried about 1 Billion ( or as in another figure I have heard recently, 1.8 Billion ) But it does not matter which figure you choose, it's a lot of people. And no one seriously think that overnight, 1 or 1.8 Billion people are are going to go an a murderous spree, killing every non-Muslim on the planet. But, it does not have to be a 1 or 1.8 Billion...a tiny percentage of that would be enough. How many Muslim extremists are out there world wide, who would strictly follow the Koran's instructions to kill the unbeliever's?. I don't have the exact figures for the number of Muslims world wide who flocked to join isis, but i'm pretty sure that it was in the hundred's of thousand's ( I am open to correction on this figure ) And it was their declared intention to kill or convert every non Muslim on the planet. Crazy, I know,,, but they believed it because it was what they read in the Koran. And that's only isis,,,you have world wide several other extremist Islam groups... Al-Queda, Boko Haram etc.
    So for the Muslims I am friends with ...no problem, and I suspect the 99.999% of the 1 or 1.8 Billion Muslims on the planet,,,are worried about the 0.00001 % too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,934 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I'm pretty sure this has been answered loads of times already.

If the majority was proposing to discriminate against a minority of catholics, or call all catholics Paedophiles, then I'm pretty sure they would get some support from other minorities who have also experienced discrimination.

I think if you've read this thread you'll see actual gay posters who have explained that they have no time for Islam but are willing to stand up against discrimination. It's not that complicated.

Say what you want about Muslims. They follow the rules as laid down in their Koran.

Ummm.... Ok. I said nowt about them. Do you prefer current Muslim ideals to current Christian? I'm neither so I won't take offense.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure this has been answered loads of times already.

If the majority was proposing to discriminate against a minority of catholics, or call all catholics Paedophiles, then I'm pretty sure they would get some support from other minorities who have also experienced discrimination.

I think if you've read this thread you'll see actual gay posters who have explained that they have no time for Islam but are willing to stand up against discrimination. It's not that complicated.

I don't find it complicated, just weird. Now if you can show me support for the minority Christians been discriminated against in Africa, Syria and Egypt, by the lgbt community. I'd love to see it.

Advertisement