Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LGBT and Islam

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Russian police have detained LGBT activists attempting to raise awareness about the persecution of gay men in Chechnya.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/russia-gay-rights-lgbt-chechnya-persecution-st-petersburg-may-day-protest-a7711531.html

A number of groups are to hold a demonstration on Cork’s Grand Parade on Tuesday in protest at the reported detention and killing of gay men in Chechnya.https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cork-protest-over-treatment-of-gay-men-in-chechnya-447871.html

Hundreds of people descended on the Russian Embassy in London to protest against the reported torture and murder of gay men in Chechnya.
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/hundreds-protest-against-gay-concentration-camps-in-chechnya-outside-londons-russian-embassy-a3514026.html

1"]

They'll just move the goalposts each time.

I donate money to LGBT causes and i hihglight the persecution of LGBT people.

Cool. I highlight persecution too. I don't donate to any causes though. Good for you. Keep up the great work.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,934 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah I think that is always a problem that the left has had though. The assumption is that since the feminist, migrant, Traveller, LGBT groups are all on the same "oppressed victim" team that they must have similar views on most things. But Travellers have very traditional views towards abortion, women rights and gays. Muslim migrants have very backward views about women, and they think being gay is a sin.

They have spent so long seeing the straight, white, settled male as being the enemy, but just because they share this view does not mean that some of their other beliefs are not diametrically opposed.

I've absolutely no idea why you posted this in response to my post.

But it's ironic that you accuse "the left" of seeing those various groups as all the same and in the same post you paint "the left" as being a single group with the same views.

Maybe things aren't as black and white as you seem to think. Personally I think people probably have some views in common and and disagree on other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭jackboy

It's a valid question that you have dodged with your reply.

What are you doing to help LGBT people in Chechnya?

The question itself was a dodge and you know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,401 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

jackboy wrote: »
    The question itself was a dodge and you know that.

A dodge to what? :confused:

You made a statement and i asked you a question that you chose (and still choose to) dodge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

Please point me to the survey that clarifies this

One of my children is gay, surprisingly, no pressure from Muslims, plenty of abuse from christians.

Wheres your outrage at the westboro baptist church and their protests?

Why don't you find one survey from a Muslim country which shows a majority favourable attitude towards Homosexuals..just one.

Down the line you're going to have to explain to your son why you tacitly supported, sympathised and made excuses for an ideology which wishes to murder him.

I have shown plenty of outrage towards the WBC which has less than 100 members thank you very much..that was quite a few years ago.

Why don't you find one survey from a Muslim country which shows a majority favourable attitude towards Homosexuals..just one.

I never claimed one existed, why dont you show me some?
    Down the line you're going to have to explain to your son why you tacitly supported, sympathised and made excuses for an ideology which wishes to murder him.

You presume it's my onr of my sons who is gay?
    I have shown plenty of outrage towards the WBC which has less than 100 members thank you very much..that was quite a few years ago.

Well your join date is 5 days ago so i must have missed it on one of your previous accounts ;)

You presume it's my onr of my sons who is gay?

In fairness, the point stands regardless of the gender of your child

In fairness, the point stands regardless of the gender of your child

Well no muslims have tried to murder my child yet, not even a bad word from one.

Christians on the other hand......

Christians on the other hand......

Christians have tried to murder your child?

• Advertisement

Christians have tried to murder your child?

They have attacked them, and definitely plenty of abuse from them.

In the name of Christ? That's mad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Muslim countries where homosexuality is legal:

1. Lebanon
    2. Kazakhstan.
    3. Niger.
    4. Indonesia
    5. Bahrain
    6.Azerbaijan

But the record goes to Turkey where homosexuality has been legal since the formation of the State in 1923 - A Muslim country where homosexuality has never been illegal.

And the absolute winner is Turkey's predecessor The Ottoman Empire which decriminalised homosexuality in 1858 - which beats Western Christian countries by over 100 years. Oscar Wilde would not have been jailed if he had lived in Constantinople rather than London. Alan Turing wouldn't have been subjected to chemical castration if he had lived in Istanbul.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

We're they shouting "Jesus is great" at the time?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Can anyone help me?

I’m gay. Living in Ireland. And I want to just be myself with my boyfriend.

And reading through the thread, i have the fear.
    is it the Islamic extremists, Irish catholics or crazy Russians I am supposed to watch out for? Who is more likely to abduct me or punch me in the face and then beat me up in the street?

Not many Russians or islamics around me. But you never know?

Any advice appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Lebanon has historically been a Christian nation and since independence has had a power sharing arrangement between the various religions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Are you sure they were actual Christians? Not exactly following the example set by Jesus.

Are you sure they were actual Christians? Not exactly following the example set by Jesus.

White irish in ireland? Chances are they were christians.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Can anyone help me?

is it the Islamic extremists, Irish catholics or crazy Russians I am supposed to watch out for? Who is more likely to abduct me or punch me in the face and then beat me up in the street?

Any advice appreciated

Stop listening to political horseshyte and enjoy your life would be the best advice you'll ever get.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Lebanon has historically been a Christian nation and since independence has had a power sharing arrangement between the various religions.

Still has a Muslim majority.

The main two religions are Islam with 57.7% of the citizenry (Sunni and Shia) and Christianity with 36.2% of the citizenry (the Maronite Church, the Orthodox Church, the Melkite Greek Catholic Church, the Protestant Church, the Armenian Apostolic Church).
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Lebanon.

Plus the poster I was responding to asked for one Muslim country - I gave him a Muslim country that has never criminalized homosexuality and an Muslim empire that decriminalized it when Christian empires such as the British still had the Death Penalty on it's statute books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

White irish in ireland? Chances are they were christians.

If that's your justification in saying that he was "attacked by Christians" then it's very deceptive.

Chances are they were raised in some denomination of Christianity, yes. But to therefore class them as Christians and imply that the attack was motivated by religion is nonsense.

That would be like a lad raised in a Muslim home but not necessarily a devout believer, committing a hit and run of an old lady, and the Daily Mail running a headline "Pensioner injured in Islamic hate crime".

Such a headline would be ridiculed and rightly so. But you're doing the same thing.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    If that's your justification in saying that he was "attacked by Christians" then it's very deceptive.

Chances are they were raised in some denomination of Christianity, yes. But to therefore class them as Christians and imply that the attack was motivated by religion is nonsense.

That would be like a lad raised in a Muslim home but not necessarily a devout believer, committing a hit and run of an old lady, and the Daily Mail running a headline "Pensioner injured in Islamic hate crime".

Such a headline would be ridiculed and rightly so. But you're doing the same thing.

I never said nor implied this, this is just your own silly interpretation of what i said

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Can anyone help me?

Any advice appreciated

All Muslims don't like you

Blueshoe wrote: »
    All Muslims don't like you

What about the gay ones?

What about the gay ones?

Thy don't say anything. Unless they can fly that is. But in the western world they are ok. Great people

Thy don't say anything. Unless they can fly that is. But in the western world they are ok. Great people

So not all.

So not all.

Are gay Muslims accepted as Muslims by other Muslims though?

Are gay Muslims accepted as Muslims by other Muslims though?

Find a muslim and ask one.

There were both when i worked in citi bank a few years ago and they always seemed to have their lunch together.

Find a muslim and ask one.

There were both when i worked in citi bank a few years ago and they always seemed to have their lunch together.

Westernised Muslims. Different type of people. Similar to ourselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,934 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That's right. The last time there was a conference of all the gays and all the feminists, they agreed that they were all in favour of Islam because it harms the west and for them, that is good.

Lol.

Advertisement