Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Joint problems?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

Great if the fish oil helps, along with keeping fit. I've been using it for a long time but still have bone trouble.

It's probably a good supplement though and worth taking.

I'd agree with Niman above that a warmer climate probably helps those with arthritis, or at least getting some exposure to the sun during our damp winters.

If only the WD40 worked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

chinwag wrote: »
    Great if the fish oil helps, along with keeping fit. I've been using it for a long time but still have bone trouble.

It's probably a good supplement though and worth taking.

I'd agree with Niman above that a warmer climate probably helps those with arthritis, or at least getting some exposure to the sun during our damp winters.

If only the WD40 worked!!
    Cod liver is just an omega 3, with D and A vits thought it was something else there for a min.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I've been taking Boswellia and I honestly think it has helped. And so does Pilates, the gym, walking and swimming.

I take a ton of supplements every morning, including Vit D and Glucosamine/chondroitin, have done for years: but the Boswellia is newish and seems to have decreased swelling and pain in knuckles. Of course its impossible to prove cause and effect!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,405 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

I take doctor recommended vitamin D. Never tried fish oil.
    I recently purchased Glucosamine Chondrotin, but haven't taken it yet (always been leery of taking pills)... But if it helps, sounds worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,011 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Glucosamine and chondroitin are naturally occurring in the body but can also be taken as supplements. Provided you are not taking blood thinners or don't have any diabetes issues they are not considered to have any other side effects.
    Useful article here https://nccih.nih.gov/health/glucosaminechondroitin#hed3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,405 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Thanks looksee, appreciate the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Rose of Lima

Cod liver oil omega 3, Glucosamine, and vitamin D I take. Keeping active stops the joints rusting up too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Graces7 wrote: »
    I am giving turmeric a good try in sheer desperation. The knee that has given intermittent trouble for much of my life has deteriorated very painfully and even eg getting to the bathroom can be arduous in two ways, pain and safety.

I tried eg glucosamine etc way back when it was not as bad.

We shall see. Many get relief from turmeric. Costly though.

One week in now...

It's basically an anti inflammatory and has had some good results for osteoarthritic knee pain. However it is strongly recommended that use is only short term.

My knuckles have started giving me problems over the past few months. It's hard to make a fist if I have had the hand flat for any time, or first thing I. The morning. Anti inflammatory tablets have done nothing. I may have to give the Doc. a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

otnomart wrote: »
    Read up about the supplement Glucosamine.

There is a lot of info online, and you can also ask your GP what they think in relation to your own specific case.

I used to get this on prescription but it made no difference.

Nor did cod liver oil.

Many, folk I know , get long term relief as in many years, from turmeric in food or as caps. so we shall see . I am well stocked for many months and well researched and will see it through. No holds barred now! Onwards and upwards... we are each different.

Offline here a while now again.

Stay safe! Stay well!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,940 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To be honest I think a lot of this stuff, be it cod liver oil, glucosamine etc are placebo's.

If your body is aging and hurting, will these things really help?

• Advertisement

I use Holland & Barrett's own brand. Haven't killed me yet.

H and B are very reliable and their customer reviews are varied and honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

I have only seen one case of cartilage/bone improvement, shown on x-ray, before and after 3year gap.
    He was a 24year suffering from osteoarthritis in knee, we worked out he was kneeling while at work as roofer giving wear at certain point on joint, once we changed this and improved function he got better.

However this is the only case I have seen in 25yr, so do all you can to keep what you have, deteriorate more slowly but don't expect significant improvement. Hoping my big toe holds out as long as possible.

Supplements may help if you don't have the needed chemical already via a good diet.

The supposed benefit to being in canaries over Ireland is that the general weather pattern is of high pressure.
    So that the pressure difference between your swollen joint and that of surrounding air is less.
    So you feel less pain on high pressure day, more in low pressure hence wet and windy weather.
    In Ireland we get lots of low pressure systems and therefore feel swollen/worn joints worse here.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Riodej1578

Bit late to the party but anyone here have their opinions on taking Glucosamine or Turmeric to help with joint pain? Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,011 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Some people find glucosamine helpful and it has been around for a good while. I might see about going back on it myself.

Turmeric gets great write-ups but I don't know if any actual research has been done on it specific to joint pain. I think the quality of the turmeric matters significantly, I am going on memory here, I think the active ingredient is curcumin which has some scientific backing.

For any of these drugs (and of course for any drugs) you need to check with your gp or pharmacist about contra-indications for any other drugs or conditions you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Riodej1578

looksee wrote: »
    Some people find glucosamine helpful and it has been around for a good while. I might see about going back on it myself.

Turmeric gets great write-ups but I don't know if any actual research has been done on it specific to joint pain. I think the quality of the turmeric matters significantly, I am going on memory here, I think the active ingredient is curcumin which has some scientific backing.

For any of these drugs (and of course for any drugs) you need to check with your gp or pharmacist about contra-indications for any other drugs or conditions you have.

Thank you, I did hear that curcumin is quiet good too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

NIMAN wrote: »
    Was chatting to someone recently whose aunt and uncle spend the winter in the Canaries.

They say their arthritis reduces to very low levels when they are there, and gets worse when they come back to Ireland.

Our wet and damp weather definitely plays a part in making it worse. But not many can spend the winter in the sun.

There are studies on exactly this for people with Rheumatoid Arthritis.

All conclude that wintering in The Canaries rather than northern Europe is beneficial.

This may be due to the climate or it may be due to it being easier ( longer daylight hours, warmer etc ) to exercise.

In the best traditions of all medical studies a universal conclusion is that more research is required :D

I understand that the Norwegian health system will pay ( travel and basic accom costs ) towards Norwegians with RA wintering in The Canaries.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm sure a decent dehumidifier in the house would also help a bit. It's not the same thing as the Canaries, granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ReadySteadyGo

Time restricted feeding and fasting.

Both seem to be anti-inflammatory.

New Home wrote: »
    I'm sure a decent dehumidifier in the house would also help a bit. It's not the same thing as the Canaries, granted.

Oh absolutely. One rental I lived in... when I moved the settee the wall was black with mould and I was in stage 3 of black mould disease.

Just leaving it near the open wardrobe door and it would fill overnight.

A dehumidifier is essential; but out here no need as not a but of damp

Thanks to HSE I had 3 months last year with no pain meds and lost over half my mobility. Still days when walking is nigh impossible. As they say, old age is not for cissies!

But we soldier on. Stoics every one of us.

I found a jar of turmeric in the cupboard and could not remember what it was for!I may start it again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

My auld lad must have been taking a serious dose of cod liver oil, it would come through his pores when he’d bathe. Did absolutely nothing for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    My auld lad must have been taking a serious dose of cod liver oil, it would come through his pores when he’d bathe. Did absolutely nothing for him.
    no supplement mentioned on this thread does anything good.

looksee wrote: »

A lot of vets and pet owners use eg turmeric for critters; with good results. animals are more objective than we are. Oh and turmeric needs black pepper with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

NIMAN wrote: »
    To be honest I think a lot of this stuff, be it cod liver oil, glucosamine etc are placebo's.

If your body is aging and hurting, will these things really help?

I thoroughly agree with this.

I can only speak from experience and say that what definitely did 'work for me' when I had very bad knee pain in recent years was strengthening exercises 2 or 3 times a week, complemented by frequent (but not excessive) walking, swimming and cycling.

This notion that cod liver oil, or zinc tablets, or kombucha, or fermented whatever is going to sort your knee pain.....if only life was that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

On a related note- having gone through somewhat of a journey when my knee broke down two years ago, I would be quite resentful of any supplements or food company who uses the arthritis calling card as part of their advertising......its a cheap trick and gives people false hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Ravendale

How has this gone for you? I asked GP but he said that steroid use over time would mean a high cortisol lever over time. Bringin its own problem, id be interested if you are still on it and any issues with BP, Insulin or Weight Gain?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,430 ✭✭✭✭banie01

My last injection was the 2019 one. I may have another soon tho as my shoulder is beginning to act up again.

No issues with BP/Weight Gain or insulin (I actually eliminated my lantus dose).

I keep a close eye on BP, weight and blood glucose as they are important for me to manage risk as a diabetic. It worked for me, but it may not work for you and it really is a matter that your GP can best advise on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

There are different causes for joint pain and different forms of arthritis.

wear and tear causing the cartilage loss and the pain of bone on bone is not reversible. Exercise will not prevent this or remedy it. it is best to seek help when symptoms first show up rather than wearing your knees or other joints out to the point of no return. If you have wear n tear then a physio needs to advise you on the correct excercise for your joints. Your gp will refer you to a hospital and i have found hospital physio excellent above private physio. This was for my upper body.

i had a lot of Joint pain in knee and ankle in the 1990s. i went to a homeopath who advised - Oils are good - it doesnt have to be fish oils - starflower and evening primrose are good too but oils are best taken every day with other general mulitivitamins so that the full nutrients of oils are absorbed. dwvils claw taken with them cures the pain. they need to be taken for 3 months before the benefits are felt.

I did this and it worked. I kept it up for 6 momths and then i stopped. my symptoms ceased after 2 momth. i stopped after I left Belfast and went south. The winter was v cold that year and the northern air got in on me. all well since then..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Devils claw - i made a typo above and i cannot figure out how to edit it,😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Click the gear icon on your post. This brings up the Edit option.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement