Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PlayStation Classic €36.99 @ Argos

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It can be easily modded to play any PSX games as well, so it's really an excellent deal. I bought one when they were reduced to €60 and it's a cool little thing, if a little flawed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

ordered one, thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Says power supply not supplied in description?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

sugarman wrote: »
    It's not, it's usb powered. You can power it off most TVs with a usb socket, or else use a phone charger.

Ah cool get you now

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭carq

Metal gear solid included as it says on the argos link ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭you2008

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Hoors! wrote: »
    Make sure to read the description. This is a mini version and no proper power supply.

It's nothing more than a fancy USB stick with an old PS1 controller.

The NES and snes minis didn't come with a USB power supply either.They can be powered off the TV or a phone charger.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

magentis wrote: »
    The NES and snes minis didn't come with a USB power supply either.They can be powered off the TV or a phone charger.

The USB cable is actually included in this just not the Plug end included :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭pah

Make sure to read the description. This is a mini version and no proper power supply.

It's nothing more than a fancy USB stick with an old PS1 controller.

As opposed to??? A full sized functioning PS1?

I don't think anyone is under that impression

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭pah

you2008 wrote: »

As an aside.......

Why is the Irish site such muck compared to the UK one

• Advertisement

pah wrote: »
    As an aside.......

Why is the Irish site such muck compared to the UK one

until we get amazon.ie:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

I read a review and someone was complaining about the graphics being worse than the original?? Think some people have rose tinted graphics. Think I'll buy this, just for metal gear solid and resident evil alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

steves2 wrote: »
    I read a review and someone was complaining about the graphics being worse than the original?? Think some people have rose tinted graphics. Think I'll buy this, just for metal gear solid and resident evil alone.

Resident evil graphics are so bad you won't last 15min.
    Don't know why the graphics are so bad compared to my original ps1 on the same telly

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Is everyone seeing that there's no stock available and it won't be until next week?

Is everyone seeing that there's no stock available and it won't be until next week?

2 @Jervis Street (Dublin)

Ordered one through a previous deal that fell through (Smartoys for €34 shipped).

In the meantime I decided I wouldn't bother if it came back at a similar price. I concluded i'd spend more time hacking it than using it, then it would go in the back of a cupboard. If I really want to play some old PS1 games I have any number of ways of doing it - most of them better than this.

It's a good price so each to his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Just reserved one. Nostalgia factor and a bit of craic. Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Are these decent when hacked?

Are the built in games fine too, or a bit sluggish? Heard the implementation wasn't as great as the SNES classic?

I was never a PS owner (SNES was my last console before I went PC), so this will be my first PS1 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Ordered and have a 5 euro voucher. Thanks OP
    Pure nostalgia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

BASHIR wrote: »
    Ordered and have a 5 euro voucher. Thanks OP
    Pure nostalgia
    Now if only the ZX Spectrum remakes got off the ground. That's the retro release I'm waiting for!

• Advertisement

This is not a PS1.

eh... yeah it is

Same as NES Classic was a NES .. SNES Classic was a SNES ... once they're hacked you can add games to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

steves2 wrote: »

Read up about it. It was universally panned on release, has poor emulation, and includes inferior PAL versions of some games. It’s not worth this.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-playstation-classic-review

• Registered Users Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭ongarite

Read up about it. It was universally panned on release, has poor emulation, and includes inferior PAL versions of some games. It’s not worth this.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-playstation-classic-review

Yes, that is true of original retail product but the whole point of buying it now is that it’s been hacked so you can modify the emulator and load any PS1 game you want on it.

Once hacked you can put up NTSC versions of the games which run at a better framerate.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PlaystationClassic/comments/aa4d3w/question_ps_classic_performance_when_modded/

Playstation 1 release date: 1995

Playstation Classic release date: 2018

and both are identical once hacked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

36 euro for the ability ( with very little technical knowledge) of being able to play the entire ps1 back catalogue is a bargain if you ask me.

i was given a ps1 classic for xmas and since its been hackable its a great little device.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'm sure you could buy a PS2 for less than that price, and play PS1 and PS2 games through it. Still have one set up under t.v. here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I think people are missing the point of this bargain alert. Sure there are other ways to play ps1 games, for free even, but the bargain is regarding this particular device. You won't get it much cheaper brand new at this time, so yeah, it is a bargain. Whether you think its worth the money is not really the point

Kolido wrote: »
    so yeah, it is a bargain. Whether you think its worth the money is not really the point

:confused:

Surely throwing away money on rubbish isn't a "bargain" ?

The point of Bargain Alerts is to alert people to good prices on good things. Otherwise the forum would be filled with crap from dealextreme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

mrcheez wrote: »
    :confused:

Surely throwing away money on rubbish isn't a "bargain" ?

The point of Bargain Alerts is to alert people to good prices on good things. Otherwise the forum would be filled with crap from dealextreme.

Whos to say its not a good thing, you?

Anyone interested in getting this, wont find it much cheaper, hence the bargain.

Advertisement