Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Quiz marque 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

What did Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi design?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭nompere

Is it the Statue of Liberty?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

feargale wrote: »
    Which U.S. state's great seal features the following motto: "Si Quæris Peninsulam Amœnam Circumspice Armiger"?

This one has been passed over. I'll give it 24 hours. Anybody want a clue?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,014 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Don't suppose it would be Florida?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

This one has been passed over. I'll give it 24 hours. Anybody want a clue?

Yes, as long as it’s not a translation. I have the gist of it, and it doesn’t help :D

• Advertisement

Lol, no its not, I picked out the word peninsula from the motto and that was the only one I could think of!

looksee wrote: »
    Don't suppose it would be Florida?

Frayed knot :)

But I would encourage you particularly to try again.

I checked it up and I would not have ever guessed it, though I was in the right direction with the translation.

At this stage I'm surprised at all of you. It might help to ponder Trump v. Biden.

P.S.

Which U.S. state's great seal features the following motto: "Si Quæris Peninsulam Amœnam Circumspice Armiger"?

Final clue = translation: "If you seek a pleasant peninsula look around you, squire."

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

nompere wrote: »
    Is it the Statue of Liberty?

Yep, correct
    .sorry for delay.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    I checked it up and I would not have ever guessed it, though I was in the right direction with the translation.

You were indeed.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Yep, correct
    .sorry for delay.

What do beetroot clows top, hendre huffcap, painted lady, snake pole and zealous wick have in common?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭OldRio

Butterflys?

OldRio wrote: »
    Butterflys?

Sorry - no.

Fungi

Edit - no, checked up, who'd a thought it?

At this stage I'm surprised at all of you. It might help to ponder Trump v. Biden.

Final clue = translation: "If you seek a pleasant peninsula look around you, squire."

The answer is Michigan, not one but two peninsulas. The motto is a play on Christopher Wren's words in St. Paul's Cathedral. I thought mentioning peninsula would be too obvious. And I thought saying Trump v. Biden would have focused you on battleground states.

So here's a nice easy one. Ten U.S. vice-presidents have subsequently been elected president, but only two of them after a break from public office having vacated the vice-presidency. Joe Biden is one. Name the other.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

nompere wrote: »
    What do beetroot clows top, hendre huffcap, painted lady, snake pole and zealous wick have in common?

Fish?

The answer is Michigan, not one but two peninsulas. The motto is a play on Christopher Wren's words in St. Paul's Cathedral. I thought mentioning peninsula would be too obvious. And I thought saying Trump v. Biden would have focused you on battleground states.

So here's a nice easy one. Ten U.S. vice-presidents have subsequently been elected president, but only two of them after a break from public office having vacated the vice-presidency. Joe Biden is one. Name the other.

George Bush senior? (Or possibly Nixon?)

IrishZeus wrote: »
    George Bush senior? (Or possibly Nixon?)

Which?

Which?

I’ll reverse and go for Nixon!?

• Advertisement

I’ll reverse and go for Nixon!?

Right. You're on.

Which US president served non-consecutive terms?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Which US president served non-consecutive terms?

I have this one in my head as being Grover Cleveland?

keane2097 wrote: »
    I have this one in my head as being Grover Cleveland?

Correct. You’re up

New Home wrote: »
    Fish?

Sorry - no.

Correct. You’re up

I just see a nice bit of trivia about him while looking for another question - it's claimed he used to answer the White House phone himself :D

Back shortly with a Q

OK this seems like a nice one - who was the first US president to be born in a hospital?

OK this seems like a nice one - who was the first US president to be born in a hospital?

Eisenhower?

Eisenhower?

Not him

• Advertisement

Not him

I came across it sometime but I can't remember. Cleveland?

Advertisement