Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Condition Warning thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

Did anyone experience icy cycle paths around Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown? I asked for the routes below to be salted and was told they all were apart from Blackrock Park. Was this your experience?
    A request has been made to the Parks section to do the Blackrock coastal park route.

High traffic routes:
    N11,
    Rock Road
    Frascati Rd
    Blackrock Park
    Newtown Avenue

bottom of hills:
    Mt Merrion Ave
    Temple Hill
    Glenageary Rd Lower
    Mounttown Rd upper
    Newtonpark Ave

Shankill - N11 - Clonkeen Road - Deansgrange - Blackrock - Ballsbridge ... all clear of ice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

The road in my estate is pure white, I actually thought it was snow when I peered out the curtains first. I haven't seen it this bad in a long while.

Has anyone been on the main roads around rathfarnham yet?

Funny ... it's not as cold as yesterday but a lot more visible ice on the road and paths around the south side of Dublin! More moisture in the air maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

The road in my estate is pure white, I actually thought it was snow when I peered out the curtains first. I haven't seen it this bad in a long while.

Has anyone been on the main roads around rathfarnham yet?

Not a million miles away in Firhouse, exact same in my estate - roads and paths far worse than yesterday even tho it's above 0. Once onto main road everything was fine, but cycle tracks as far as at least blue haven are pure white, so I stuck to road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

C3PO wrote: »
    Funny ... it's not as cold as yesterday but a lot more visible ice on the road and paths around the south side of Dublin! More moisture in the air maybe?

No its definitely not. Looked out and drive was white this morning.....which it wasnt yesterday when I took the bike.....but drove today and its nowhere near as bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Get In There

Anyone cycle on the old n2 the last couple of days? I've wimped out yesterday and today on account of the ice but already missing my cycling fix. Wouldn't be surprised if the flyover bridge going over into Finglas continued to be lethal a good bit longer once this icy spell comes to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I noticed same around rathfarnham area but the main roads themselves wernt too bad on way in. Noticed one or two areas where there was black ice in cycle lane but avoided as best as I could

• Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Yes. It’s the moisture that causes this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Gave it a miss this morning and glad i did. Plenty of opportunities out there to have a fall.
    2 weeks till Xmas and month and a half till holidays so the sensible option was best.
    First day missed this year due to weather so i was due one but not one for the wimp list thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Definitely. Took the bike with wider tyres yesterday when I could have taken road bike and back on the road bike today when the wider tyres would have been nice.

But made it in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Way frostier out there this morning. Main roads were fine, but on-path cycle tracks were completely covered in frost. I did make it in okay, but I just kept of the brakes and took it handy.

Portmarnock ->Baldoyle -> Coast cycle path into Fairview.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Had to do some cyclecross coming out of the estate. Once on main roads it was fine. Cycle tracks a no go. D18 to Eastpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

#5 People! :)

?width=630&version=3745229

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Concur that it was much frostier than yesterday. No issues, but kids were very late for school. I was crawling along.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

Wicklow road gritting programme for the winter.

AA don't seem to be advising that the Sally Gap is closed. Does anyone know what the status is? I was thinking about trying to head over the Featherbeds tomorrow from Glencree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Plastik wrote: »
    Wicklow road gritting programme for the winter.

AA don't seem to be advising that the Sally Gap is closed. Does anyone know what the status is? I was thinking about trying to head over the Featherbeds tomorrow from Glencree.

Yr.no states that it'll be -2 overnight and not getting any warmer than 2°C tomorrow. It could be frosty enough up there. I'd be surprised if there's any snow left.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

It's 12 degrees is Dublin. I'm sure the Dublin/Wicklow mountains are completely clear but thought to check anyway, in case there's some compacted stuff lingering. Anyone been up that way in the last few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

1bryan wrote: »
    It's 12 degrees is Dublin. I'm sure the Dublin/Wicklow mountains are completely clear but thought to check anyway, in case there's some compacted stuff lingering. Anyone been up that way in the last few days?

Was up last Sunday through from Glenasmole up Cunard, Glencree, Lough Bray and over Sally gap all clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Corner of Cardiff Lane and John Rogersons Quay - Bad Oil Slick Warning

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,185 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

That's two oil spills so this evening. One on north king Street too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That's two oil spills so this evening. One on north king Street too.

Probably related.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Come off turning on to Alfie Byrne road from east wall, wheel just went from under me so keep an eye out there if coming home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Excluding oil leaks lads the bloody roads are very greasy at present...take it easy out there...

Come off turning on to Alfie Byrne road from east wall, wheel just went from under me so keep an eye out there if coming home

The only nasty fall I've had from a road bike was on that corner ... always covered in a sheen of diesel!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

What's the prognosis for early morning Ice risk on the coast road to Bray and the environs of Enniskerry?

I see it's going to be 1-2c at 0600-0800 which is my normal weekday training window

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

What's the prognosis for early morning Ice risk on the coast road to Bray and the environs of Enniskerry?

I see it's going to be 1-2c at 0600-0800 which is my normal weekday training window

Low I’d say..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Take it easy this morning lads already spotted 1 cyclist down in Blackrock. Some large patches of black ice about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭buffalo

Grassey wrote: »
    Take it easy this morning lads already spotted 1 cyclist down in Blackrock. Some large patches of black ice about.

It seemed extremely mild to me in Dublin, zero ice though a light covering of snow (YMMV). Last night was much colder for the commute home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I didn't mind the cycle last night when it was falling, woke up this morning and the 1.5km to the main road was slush and ice. Had to take about 2 inches of snow/ice off the car this morning. Looked alright up until I got to Newtownpark Ave, paths there still iced over, and once I was on the Temple Road a lot of black ice in the cycle lane and foothpaths, main roads seemed OK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Walked out of the estate this morning, paths were quite ropey. Cycle tracks from Firhouse to City Centre via KCR were mostly frosted over and quite slippy. Main roads were fine apart from a few lesser used spots where I came across some piles of slush. Didn't feel as cold as last night at all though.

Advertisement