Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNA Analysis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

Is it possible for me to get my DNA onto a surname program to see who I match up with, without buying another FDNA test? I thought I would've been able to trace the origins of my Paternal line through the Haplogroup, but I guess not?

I'm not surprised about the difference in England as there is quite a large difference there. Tbh, I didn't expect any English anyway. Interesting none the less.

Another user commented on my lack of Scandinavia from another site. What does that indicate? No mixing?

Yes you can join the surname project on FTDNA for your direct paternal ancestors if one exists. Join it and you can contact the project administrator and see what they suggest.

I don't think that it's in any way unusual to have no Scandinavian ancestry unless you have a Scandinavian ancestor. I think that it would only be unusual to have no Scandinavian if your ancestors were from Orkney. I don't see why a lack of Scandinavian should be strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Is it possible for me to get my DNA onto a surname program to see who I match up with, without buying another FDNA test? I thought I would've been able to trace the origins of my Paternal line through the Haplogroup, but I guess not?

What test did you already get? The haplogroups you get from basic testing are thousands of years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭180567

Hello. I am interested in getting a dna test done , as i am adopted and am hoping it might provide some clues about my original parents. or extended family. (At the moment I know nothing about them except my mothers name - no county she was from or any information at all about my father). I would love to try and find out, and possibly a dna test might give me some names and locations to check out. I have been doing a bit of research and found a company called Myheritage doing a test for 71 euros including shipping. This seems to be the best value one , and around the price I could afford. The other one I found was ancestry which was 115 euros (95 plus shipping). I am just wondering if anyone could advise me if Myheritage are a good company to use ? Will it give me the same results as the other ones ? I am completely new to this whole area and would welcome any suggestions / advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

180567 wrote: »
    Hello. I am interested in getting a dna test done , as i am adopted and am hoping it might provide some clues about my original parents. or extended family. (At the moment I know nothing about them except my mothers name - no county she was from or any information at all about my father). I would love to try and find out, and possibly a dna test might give me some names and locations to check out. I have been doing a bit of research and found a company called Myheritage doing a test for 71 euros including shipping. This seems to be the best value one , and around the price I could afford. The other one I found was ancestry which was 115 euros (95 plus shipping). I am just wondering if anyone could advise me if Myheritage are a good company to use ? Will it give me the same results as the other ones ? I am completely new to this whole area and would welcome any suggestions / advice.

If you are adopted and looking to find out information about your family, the most valuable aspect of DNA testing for you is the opportunity to match with relatives that also happen to have tested. In connecting with distant cousins, or hopefully closer cousins, you might be able to work out something.

With that in mind, My Heritage is actually the worst option of all the major companies out there because they have the smallest database of customers and therefore the smallest chance of having meaningful matches.

Even though it's more expensive, Ancestry is your best bet because millions of people have tested there. Also, at least for the moment, people who have tested with Ancestry can transfer their results for free to Family Tree DNA and My Heritage.

My Heritage is a cheaper option for a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Are you male or female? If you are a male a Y-DNA test might help you connect with your father's side, it will give you matches who will share a common ancestor on your direct male line.
    I think mitochondrial DNA tests are available that can find equivalent matches on your direct female line.
    A standard autosomal DNA test will just give you a lot of relatives but you have no way to tell how they match you, using an autosomal test in conjunction with Y-DNA and mitochondrial results could help you see what side of the family the matches are on.

• Advertisement

Y-DNA and mtDNA would be great tools to use, especially Y-DNA since it should give an indication of your father's surname. FTDNA is good for those services. Don't overlook autosomal though. I know someone that found both of her birth parents using autosomal and all that she had to go on was her mother's surname so it can be done. I'm currently in touch with someone trying to find her birth parents but has no information to go on and yet she still has many leads. As said before, Ancestry would be the best company to buy from due to the size of its database alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Gloraghgirl

I Would advise stay away from My Heritage dna test.it seems very wishy washy plus no tree's with names to try and work with..my uncle is adopted and he did the my heritage and was very disappointed with the results..i asked him if he could afford it would he do the Ancestry test (the same me and mum did) and he did.he got 2 instant 3rd cousin matches,one of them because of their attatched tree and names we contacted them and yes definite connectioon :-) ..he doesnt know who his father is/was and this is what we are building towards finding out hopefully...but with ancestry you can upload to FTDNA and Gedmatch which has dna tools and aids and chromosome browser.once you get your result their are 2 groups on Facebook that help adoptees and people with NPE try and work through their matches and help build mirror trees to help join the dots.. one is called
    Search Squad
    DNA Detectives are very helpful also :-)
    Good luck and i really hope you find some answers :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭BottleOfSmoke

180567 wrote: »

I was in the same boat. I did Ancestry and over a period of months I matched with a 2nd cousin (a lovely lady who confirmed my maternal line). I now have 60 fourth cousins, and the number trickles upward every month. If I hadn't got a 2nd cousin match, I'd have worked through the fourth cousins looking at their trees - much harder work when it's that distant, but you'll find sites with loads of advice for adoptees on doing this.

I'm half Irish, and my other half is a country with few people testing DNA, so my number of matches are probably on the low side.

You can upload for free your Ancestry DNA to other sites, including MyHeritage. I have six fourth-cousin matches on MyHeritage - it's just a much smaller database.

Best of luck with it. But please prepare yourself for the consequences of matching. You can make your details private and choose a generic username - but remember that when you see a close match, that match will know of your existence also. Think how you'd react if it's a first cousin, or closer, and how best to communicate. There's good advice out there in some facebook groups, I think another poster has mentioned some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Hi folks i have just got my results back from ancestry, just wondering what i need to do now can i put my results etc on other Dna Sites ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭BottleOfSmoke

torrevieja wrote: »
    Hi folks i have just got my results back from ancestry, just wondering what i need to do now can i put my results etc on other Dna Sites ?

Thanks

Gedmatch, MyFTDNA, MyHeritage I think are the main ones (Gedmatch seems to be the best recommended).
    If you create an account on Gedmatch, they have instructions on how to download from Ancestry and upload to them. Once you've got that figured out, you can upload to the other sites.
    Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Mod Note: Guys, there is a lot of repetition in this thread.

Please use the search function before asking.

I have created a new sticky to combat the most commonly asked questions.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

I have tested myself and three other family members with Ancestry. I would like to convince a brother to do Y-DNA. And to order in the next couple of days while there's a sale on at FTDNA. If he did Y-DNA67 does that include autosomal testing or would he need to order both Family Finder and a Y test?

Also I have a link to sale pricing but it's all in USD. Is there a site priced in Euro or sterling?

leck wrote: »
    I have tested myself and three other family members with Ancestry. I would like to convince a brother to do Y-DNA. And to order in the next couple of days while there's a sale on at FTDNA. If he did Y-DNA67 does that include autosomal testing or would he need to order both Family Finder and a Y test?

Also I have a link to sale pricing but it's all in USD. Is there a site priced in Euro or sterling?

Y-DNA67 doesn't include autosomal testing so he'd need to order both Family Finder and a Y test if you wanted to get both.

The pricing is only available in dollars. You can convert it yourself online but there's no official price in euro or sterling on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭torrevieja

hi folks i uploaded my ancestry DNA results to Ged Match but cant see any results is this site free or do i have to pay ,

pm me if u like cheers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

torrevieja wrote: »
    hi folks i uploaded my ancestry DNA results to Ged Match but cant see any results is this site free or do i have to pay ,

pm me if u like cheers

It's a free site, though there are a few extra tools at a small charge.
    It takes a couple of days from upload to get matches.
    If there are none after a week or so, delete it and re-upload it. I had an issue with a second cousin's results, but they worked fine the second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭BowWow

Did an Ancestry DNA test recently. At the moment I have over 8,000 matches with 64 in the 4th. Cousin or closer catagory. I'm very happy with this and have made some good contacts which has enabled me to fill in blanks on my tree, and to assist others with the info I had.

I uploaded my results to both MyHeritage an FamilyTreeDNA.

MyHeritage have given me 19 matches of all types.
    FTDNA have given me 293 matches of all types.
    Both of them keep trying to sell me add-ons.

Seems to be a no-brainer to recommend Ancestry to people for their initial requirements.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would disagree. The no-brainer for me is for people to get onto GEDMatch, avoid paying twice and three times for tests.

I went with FTDNA and have over 2000 matches, 300 3rd cousin or closer. The numbers are of course bigger on GEDMatch.

Also went on Gedmatch.

But Gedmatch is not a user friendly site - very difficult to understand/use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

The parents got their results back today. Delighted with themselves discovering 2nd cousins & down that they never know, but I have some questions.

When they were activating their Ancestry kits, they both set up accounts & each has linked their own DNA test results to their own tree. Is there a way to link these two trees? Or failing that is there a way to delete one account & then import both sets of results to the one tree?

Is there a way for me to import both results into the trees that I maintain? Would doing so likely give me a set of data - as I'm 50% him & 50% her?

The closest match they got is a 2nd cousin, who neither of them recognises either by name or the photo they have. Now I have a little concern here because I'm aware of a very strong possibility of some indiscretions by both sides of the family, (which they, to my knowledge are not - I could be wrong), is this going to open a can of worms? I bet it is, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

OU812 wrote: »
    The parents got their results back today. Delighted with themselves discovering 2nd cousins & down that they never know, but I have some questions.

When they were activating their Ancestry kits, they both set up accounts & each has linked their own DNA test results to their own tree. Is there a way to link these two trees? Or failing that is there a way to delete one account & then import both sets of results to the one tree?

Is there a way for me to import both results into the trees that I maintain? Would doing so likely give me a set of data - as I'm 50% him & 50% her?

The closest match they got is a 2nd cousin, who neither of them recognises either by name or the photo they have. Now I have a little concern here because I'm aware of a very strong possibility of some indiscretions by both sides of the family, (which they, to my knowledge are not - I could be wrong), is this going to open a can of worms? I bet it is, right?
    I'm not sure about linking the trees, but you can have both of them give you access to their kits. Within each account, go to DNA Results Summary --> Settings -->DNA Results Access -->Add a Person. They can add you by username or email address and give you one of three roles (Viewer, Collaborator, Manager).

You're on your own with the NPEs. At least it's a second cousin, not a child or sibling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭VirginiaB

I finally broke down and took a DNA test thru Ancestry.com tho I have been very dubious about the test for genealogical purposes. No surprise, I am very Irish.

I had not thought about cousins but, seeing the results, I thought it would be great to find cousins in Ireland. They would likely be 4th or beyond as it was my great-greats who emigrated. No luck so far as most people do not have attached trees where I might recognize surnames etc. I have found cousins in Ireland via records and am sure there are many more.

So my question is this: What is your guess about the percentage of people in Ireland doing genealogy who are taking DNA tests--and Ancestry's in particular?

I read somewhere more Irish people have done FTDNA, but sure it's all the same if you upload your results to GEDMatch.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I've no idea really but bullet to my head scenario I go, less than 5%

Thanks for that. I think I may take FTDNA's test just to compare results with the Ancestry results so I appreciate the good tip.

Coincidentally, I just read Clare Santry's blog and see that Ancestry seems to be doing a huge push in Ireland. Not breaking news, I guess.

It's more expensive though. FTDNA occasionally have offers that work out at 60 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

VirginiaB wrote: »
    So my question is this: What is your guess about the percentage of people in Ireland doing genealogy who are taking DNA tests--and Ancestry's in particular?

I think DNA tests are becoming more popular. They're advertised now on TV and everything.

The more people that do them the bigger the database they have, so you may discover relatives in a few weeks/ months/ years time.

I got Ancestry's test via a sale in August and will keep my eyes open for one on FTDNA--tho I may just cave in & spring for it. Curiosity not only killed the cat--it emptied the wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I got Ancestry's test via a sale in August and will keep my eyes open for one on FTDNA--tho I may just cave in & spring for it. Curiosity not only killed the cat--it emptied the wallet.

Does the Ancestry one also provide any health information or is it just what percentage Irish, English, Scandinavian you are?

No health info on Ancestry's DNA test. That is not what it is for. I would not trust a genealogy company that made such a claim. You would have to go to an accredited medical facility for that kind of test.

• Advertisement

I think I may take FTDNA's test just to compare results with the Ancestry results

I was able to upload my Ancestry DNA results to FTDNA for free, and then look up my matches on their(FTDNA) site.

Advertisement