Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Audax Rides

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭paul a newman

If CDaly can enlighten us further on the weather forecast, that would be great!
    But cycle goes ahead , hope a few come out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Got a chance, because of last weeks cancellation, to ride Gheimhridh 200 today.

Really lovely route, which took a lot of planning and mapping I would guess.

Food at halfway point and finish you wouldn't see at a sportive.

Super stuff Marc

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

did this today also, even though i had planned on Dying Light being my end of season..the cycling bug ..isn't it great
    great route and great food , lovely rashers sandwiches at the end(thanks Marc)
    new club jacket worked a treat even in the pervading damp on/off drizzle
    only thing my Garmin only recorded 200.3km had issues midway with the screen...
    met Ford2600 and also namelessPhil i think ?

great weather for this today, sunny, cold on the descents, big numbers 70+ and groups of clubs participating
    cheers to Mike Law for organising
    went well until about 160Km Ardmore, then felt very tired (need to pace it better!!) BIG THANKS to Bill for encouragement to get to the end

https://www.strava.com/activities/509466666

devonp wrote: »
    great weather for this today, sunny, cold on the descents, big numbers 70+ and groups of clubs participating
    cheers to Mike Law for organising
    went well until about 160Km Ardmore, then felt very tired (need to pace it better!!) BIG THANKS to Bill for encouragement to get to the end

https://www.strava.com/activities/509466666

Check your email, there is a new more audaxy (read way more climbing and boreens) route in the making. The climbing won't bother you. I wouldn't be using deep sections with racing tyres though☺

Dialing back pace a little especially on climbs and you'll be doing 300 and the rest faster than most.

Bill is a good man to meet on the road

EDIT: Just saw your time for Mountain Road up out of Clonmel. That effort after 80km into a headwind, no wonder you were tired, especially with just two of ye

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

......which was 208k. That's grand, you can never measure an exact 200 I reckon.
    Busy event, seemed to be over 80 entrants.
    Down the old N4 to Kilbeggan (for 6 shots of Single Malt), dropped down to Tullamore and back via Portlaoise/ Monster..evin.
    Cool'ish day :), but I got the clothing right compliments of a pair of xl Primaloft ski mitts on top of regular gloves.
    Some group riding, alot of solo cycling. Lumpy towards the end.

218k @24.1 in 9.01 rolling time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Thud

This looks cool, race around Iceland, 1,358 km, in perpetual daylight during the summer solstice:

http://www.wowcyclothon.com/?gclid=CIL6scqitssCFRATGwodJ20LtA

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Thud wrote: »
    This looks cool, race around Iceland, 1,358 km, in perpetual daylight during the summer solstice:

http://www.wowcyclothon.com/?gclid=CIL6scqitssCFRATGwodJ20LtA

I heard about it last year when I was there. I'd absolutely love to give it a go. Requires a CX bike for a 30 km section. If you get a sponsor, and a team together WOW will arrange for 20kg baggage and a bike for each passenger.

All money raised goes to Icelandic charities I think, but some of the teams last year raised so little that I imagine they were raising some off site for their own charity.

Weather looking good for Sunday 😊
    58 entries so far and TWO FOOD STOPS.....what's not to like.
    New roads, new scenery.....brill. Kingscourt, Bailieborough direction and back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 rogcaler

ford2600 wrote:
    Midleton 200. Perfect early season 200, primarily decent roads, plenty climbing but no steep stuffs and loads of places to refuel. Lemybrien back to Midleton is on some lovely quite back roads, especially Youghal-Midleton.

ford2600 wrote:
    Midleton 200. Perfect early season 200, primarily decent roads, plenty climbing but no steep stuffs and loads of places to refuel. Lemybrien back to Midleton is on some lovely quite back roads, especially Youghal-Midleton.

ford2600 wrote:
    Pink Elephant 200. A favourite of mine and a lovely way to spend day on bike. Coachford to Clondroihid, Coum to Gougane and section around by Rathbarry are pretty special. Tough 200 but still very enjoyable. Rode this 5 times in last 10 months and on most sections cars a are a rarity.

Hi...would i find the routes for the two above on Strava? or where I could find them...thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

Maybe a bit offtopic, but what would be your advise on pushing the distance to "audax-ish" figures? Currently I'm fairly comfortable on doing 100-150k rides around Wicklow with decent amount of climbing, so I think I should have somewhat decent level of fitness to start. What would be the steps required to push the distance well beyond 200k mark or even closer to 300k/day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Hauki wrote: »
    Maybe a bit offtopic, but what would be your advise on pushing the distance to "audax-ish" figures? Currently I'm fairly comfortable on doing 100-150k rides around Wicklow with decent amount of climbing, so I think I should have somewhat decent level of fitness to start. What would be the steps required to push the distance well beyond 200k mark or even closer to 300k/day?

The general rule is to do a 200, which prepares you for 300, the 300 prepares you for a 400, and the 400 for a 600 and so on up to a 1200km, ideally all in the same season with not too big a gap between each ride.

Apart from that, the usual things have additional importance if you're looking for a personal best/time; body weight, strength training, hill work, diet etc.

Around Wicklow, there's the Ardattin 200 in April and the Mick Byrne 200 in May. The MB has more climbing - almost 3500m in the first 150km. The Ardattin is less taxing and has a nice food stop at the Ardattin Inn half way round. Both are great events and very well run.

any info on the MB registration ?

devonp wrote: »
    any info on the MB registration ?

Probably around mid-April. There was still places left last year so should be grand.

rogcaler wrote: »
    Hi...would i find the routes for the two above on Strava? or where I could find them...thanks.

http://www.audaxireland.org/

You'll find them both there. You can download appropriate file for your gps device and/or route sheet.

PE in magic on a bike but pretty tough, hilly with some very poor surfaces. Midleton while not easy is not as hard.

I can pm you strava rides of both if you can't make above link work.

I think any rider than do long distance with right mentality and following well proven advice. If you go to audax Ireland page have a read of "Stepping up to 300km" by Audax Irelands main man Paul O'Donoghue

http://www.audaxireland.org/the-saddlebag/stepping-up-to-300k/

Planet X wrote: »
    Weather looking good for Sunday 😊
    58 entries so far and TWO FOOD STOPS.....what's not to like.
    New roads, new scenery.....brill. Kingscourt, Bailieborough direction and back in.

will ye be crossing the Boyle GP route ??this sunday;)

Rumour has it.......😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I'll be riding the Mick Byrne 200 route on Sunday in preparation for the Easter Fleche. If you hear someone cursing themselves up Slieve Maan on Sunday afternoon, it'll be me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    The general rule is to do a 200, which prepares you for 300, the 300 prepares you for a 400, and the 400 for a 600 and so on up to a 1200km, ideally all in the same season with not too big a gap between each ride.

Apart from that, the usual things have additional importance if you're looking for a personal best/time; body weight, strength training, hill work, diet etc.

Around Wicklow, there's the Ardattin 200 in April and the Mick Byrne 200 in May. The MB has more climbing - almost 3500m in the first 150km. The Ardattin is less taxing and has a nice food stop at the Ardattin Inn half way round. Both are great events and very well run.
    Just to add that getting out on the road early has a huge psychological advantage (for me anyway). It's a great feeling to have 100k done by 9/10am with the whole day still in front of you. You're much more likely to stay out and clock up big mileage that way than setting off at 11am.

Another way of getting a big one in is to incorporate a club ride/sportive into your ride. Do 40km prior to the start, throw in a 120k club ride or a 160k sportive, and then do another 50k afterwards. It breaks up the day nicely.

The inaugural. At 200.5k, very nicely gauged.
    First stop around 50k, Donore, thought that was a bit early.....but.......the amount of climbing in that 50k. was fairly decent.
    Big turn out, over 60 I reckon, kicked off together @8am.
    Met ROK ON :)

Came across the tail end on one of the Boyne Race groups. No issues.

Kingscourt/ Bailieboro, checkpoint at 110k. On to Athboy, Kells and the final check @Trim @160k. Again, Dave laid on a tremendous spread as the first stop....too much food. Congrats to Dave Finnegan, stellar job, diamond geezer.

So, the sting in the tail was Tara Hill and before, draggy draggy. Tara Hill....straight up, straight road. Head job, and no descent of note. Bummer.
    Back roads in, not bad, back before 5pm.
    @23.2kph or thereabouts. Forgot to zero the Garmin and had 25k up on it.

Good event, new scenery always a bonus.
    Plenty of hills in NCD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I must keep this in mind for next year - didn't realise it was on until a day or two ago.
    ..Plenty of hills in NCD.
    :confused: The only bit through NCD would have been Garristown to Naul - pretty flattish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If you can do 150 k in Wicklow, a flatter 200 in the midlands would be no bother
    And if you can do the Mick Byrne or Wicklow 200 all the better

The next step is to cycle 20 km or so to the start of an audax and home again after

The Tara200 was a great spin, with a few sharp climbs at the start and the drag up the Hill of Tara and Skryne hill
    Loads of food (and Gatorade)at the stops, nice scenery and courteous Cavan drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

The inaugural. At 200.5k, very nicely gauged.
    First stop around 50k, Donore, thought that was a bit early.....but.......the amount of climbing in that 50k. was fairly decent.
    Big turn out, over 60 I reckon, kicked off together @8am.
    Met ROK ON :)

Came across the tail end on one of the Boyne Race groups. No issues.

Kingscourt/ Bailieboro, checkpoint at 110k. On to Athboy, Kells and the final check @Trim @160k. Again, Dave laid on a tremendous spread as the first stop....too much food. Congrats to Dave Finnegan, stellar job, diamond geezer.

So, the sting in the tail was Tara Hill and before, draggy draggy. Tara Hill....straight up, straight road. Head job, and no descent of note. Bummer.
    Back roads in, not bad, back before 5pm.
    @23.2kph or thereabouts. Forgot to zero the Garmin and had 25k up on it.

Good event, new scenery always a bonus.
    Plenty of hills in NCD.

Fair play to ye, martyrs all! I don't think I'd have it in the legs this time of year, but building up to it hopefully!
    Was thinking of cycling some of that section in the near future, out towards Kingscourt via the Naul from Dublin. The route looks good and quietish until that section on 73k where you hit the main Navan-Kingscourt road. I've always thought that road would be miserable cycling due to traffic though - how did ye find it if ye don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It was fine, its very straight, so traffic can pass when it's clear, and not force by when going between bends. Reasonable surface for the most part. Not too busy.

Good luck to all Flêche riders on Friday/Saturday.

Just looking at the weather....... mixed. Probably better than what we've had for the last few weeks though.:-o

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

Has anybody done the The Quiet Man 300?

http://www.audaxireland.org/the-quiet-man-300

Route looks fantastic and thinking of doing it (If the weather is good). Hoping to get some past experience from anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Ging and I

topcat77 wrote: »
    Has anybody done the The Quiet Man 300?

http://www.audaxireland.org/the-quiet-man-300

Route looks fantastic and thinking of doing it (If the weather is good). Hoping to get some past experience from anyone.

WIND :D
    Great route and event.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

OleRodrigo wrote: »

Anyone know if the Ardattin 200 is being run this year? There's no mention of it on the Audax Ireland web site.

MediaMan wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Ardattin 200 is being run this year? There's no mention of it on the Audax Ireland web site.

Not on this year, just got confirmation.

Ah well. More legs for the Mick Byrne I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

Another option (depending on where one lives) is to ride to and from a 200 and make it longer. Most Dublin based Audax are 25/30k from my house making it easy to do a 250/260 or even a 300 with a diversion on the way home.

Following on from this :

I’m going to cycle from my house to the Orwell Wheelers Randonee at the end of the month which is about 25k if I go by Pine Forest Road through Glencullen.

I was wondering if you have any tips, regarding the start / stop nature of getting going and then stopping for registration etc.

Should I eat again or just treat it as break?

Take lights or hi viz as it may be dark when i get going?

Anything else?

I’m also doing the Mick Byrne which I’m hoping to cycle to and back to, only an extra 10/15k each way to build up to the Wicklow 200 that if the other 2 events go well I’ll be cycling to that aswell possibly an extra 50k each way.

I done a 164k spin last week that had more climbing than any of these but obvs not the distance so I think I can manage it , even if it means crawling home , I was just looking for an titbits of advice

Advertisement