Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

montgo wrote: »
    Have a look at the birth for Maurice Power on 31 December 1872.

Confirmation of the father's name and the informant pls? By the way, Maurice was baptised on 28 December, 1972:)

What's three days among friends?, better than three years!

The name recorded as father is definitely Thomas

That recorded as informant looks most like Denis, but could conceivably be construed as James, at a stretch.

The fact that informant, Denis/ James is father, rather than Thomas, is clearly an error.

It does not surprise me, I have been saying for years that there are errors in all types of records, some can be proven, some not.

In this case, the question is, which entry is the error, or which is correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

tabbey wrote: »
    What's three days among friends?, better than three years!

The name recorded as father is definitely Thomas

That recorded as informant looks most like Denis, but could conceivably be construed as James, at a stretch.

The fact that informant, Denis/ James is father, rather than Thomas, is clearly an error.

It does not surprise me, I have been saying for years that there are errors in all types of records, some can be proven, some not.

In this case, the question is, which entry is the error, or which is correct?

Cross reference with the birth of Maurice's siblings (if any)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I have a number of ancestors whose church baptism I can find, but whose civil birth record gives their birth date as months later, sometimes in another year. I also have informants with the wrong relationship to the deceased stated - nephew instead of grandson, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

It would appear Maurice was the only child of this couple. The parish register recorded the father as James and the church marriage also recorded James Power who married Catherine/Kate English. Unfortunately, the image of civil marriage record is not available but it would appear that the civil record was also for a James and the death record is for James with Maurice as informant.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

spurious wrote: »
    I have a number of ancestors whose church baptism I can find, but whose civil birth record gives their birth date as months later, sometimes in another year...
    That's not uncommon.

Children were generally baptised without delay, sometimes even on the day they were born.

People were more casual about the registration process, especially if it involved travelling to wherever the registrar's office was located. There was a financial penalty for late registration, and the standard way of avoiding it was to declare a date that avoided the penalty.

• Advertisement

That's not uncommon.

Children were generally baptised without delay, sometimes even on the day they were born.

People were more casual about the registration process, especially if it involved travelling to wherever the registrar's office was located. There was a financial penalty for late registration, and the standard way of avoiding it was to declare a date that avoided the penalty.

Indeed I suspect that some registrars advised the parents to do this . I came across a dispensary doctor who resigned his registrar role in Co Louth in the 1870s, because he felt fining people for late registration was incompatible with his doctor / patient relationship. As no other doctor was found to undertake this duty, he was persuaded to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Hi, I need some help deciphering some handwriting, the first entry for the marriage of Henry Byrne and Susan Verdon, what is his profession and address?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1923/09179/5320129

Thanks, Dylbert.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

dylbert wrote: »
    Hi, I need some help deciphering some handwriting, the first entry for the marriage of Henry Byrne and Susan Verdon, what is his profession and address?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1923/09179/5320129

Thanks, Dylbert.

87 Corporation Buildings (off Foley Street Dublin at the time). Could it be "wine porter"? (*) His father was a coal porter, so definitely porter of some type but not sure what.

(*) It was an actual job: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=154235.0

P.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Wine porter (?) and 87 Corporation Buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Great guys thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

I wonder if anyone can read the note on the right hand side of Michael Fay's birth (hopefully attached, but if not, please search 14-6-1885 Navan)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I don't see baptisms that late on the Navan register. Is this the page:

http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0955

rhapsody wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone can read the note on the right hand side of Michael Fay's birth (hopefully attached, but if not, please search 14-6-1885 Navan)?

Correction
    Informant not father.
    RC (Richard Cousin)
    Registrar.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I don't see baptisms that late on the Navan register. Is this the page:

http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0955

It is a birth (civil reg)

Oops! Silly me. Sorry.

"Correction, informant not father" is what I see.

As the whole document was crossed out I would expect it to have been re-written. But the name of the informant could be another John Fay in the family, just not the actual father of the child.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I'm struggling with the second line line of this evidence of age form if anyone can figure it out.
    I certify that Ignatius Moore, born 2 July 1862
    was baptised ______ _ __ _ RC Church 20 July
    1862 as appears from Parochial Register of this Church

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mollymoo19

Hermy wrote: »
    I'm struggling with the second line line of this evidence of age form if anyone can figure it out.

Maybe 'according to rites of'

Yep, that might be it all right.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Hermy wrote: »

According to the rites of the RC church.

The parish is Clontarf.

Canon O'Neill was a long serving cleric, and was the celebrant of my grandparents marriage in 1904.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

tabbey wrote: »
    Correction
    Informant not father.
    RC (Richard Cousin)
    Registrar.
    "Correction, informant not father" is what I see.
    As the whole document was crossed out I would expect it to have been re-written. But the name of the informant could be another John Fay in the family, just not the actual father of the child.

Thanks- I could see the 'not father' and thought the worst!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭kildarejohn

Not handwriting, so hope this is appropriate thread.
    Can anyone decipher dates and Ages on this tombstone photo?
    Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Decryption of any kind is acceptable, as long as it's genealogy, and not, say, enigma code.

Have you tried flipping the photo into negative?

Genealogy Forum Mod

If you take a photo from the side of the stone as well as the end that might help too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Not handwriting, so hope this is appropriate thread. Can anyone decipher dates and Ages on this tombstone photo? Thanks

Have you only access to this photo? I only ask because if you can get back to the headstone I find water splashed on the letters helps to read it or try a rubbing with paper and something like charcoal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Hermy wrote:
    If you take a photo from the side of the stone as well as the end that might help too.

Even tracing each letter or number with the tip of a finger helps. Time consuming but it works!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

Thanks

Wife Son and Daughter
    d April 18th 1817 Aged ? Y
    died Nov 1 1831 Aged ? Years
    d June 3rd 1836 Aged 21 Years
    d June 10th 1837 Aged 31 Years
    rest in peace Amen

Thanks

What graveyard is it? and what name is on it?

Might be easier to see the stone if it is nearby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭kildarejohn

Several of you ask about checking stone itself, but unfortunately I wont be able to do this for some months.
    josip wrote: »
    Wife Son and Daughter
    d April 18th 1817 Aged ? Y
    died Nov 1 1831 Aged ? Years
    d June 3rd 1836 Aged 21 Years
    d June 10th 1837 Aged 31 Years
    rest in peace Amen
    Josip - thanks for above, I would read it about the same, but one thing I disagree on is that I thought last 3 ages all started with 2 -. Anyone else see the 4th age as 31, I thought it was 21. But seems unlikely that 2 children were both 21 - I wonder could it be 24?

Advertisement