Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corballis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭blue note

gypsy79 wrote: »
    I hit an 8 iron 125-130!!

Driver is 190-200 fwiw

Next club down is 2 hybrid, which i would probably take in a gale here myself

The is no wind that would make a driver the right club on that hole for you! Back tees and a gale force wind I'd be recommending hitting whatever you hit 170. If not you'll be on the next fairway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

Also a new member out there.

I love it as a club to be a member off as it really is a different challenge depending on the wind speed/direction. The 3rd hole is up there with any hole in the country. For someone visiting for the first time I can see how it would be a complete nightmare. I played with 3 visitors recently and one of them told me afterwards that I saved him 10 shots just by talking through the holes from the tee box. Holes 2, 7, 11 and 14 in particular are quirky holes which if you didn't know your way around you could easily lose a ball or rack up a big score.

Hole 2: 250 yard par 4 which a massive chasm 160 yards from the tee box. Need to play 8 iron + Wedge
    Hole 7: Depending on the tee you are playing its a 7 or 5 iron to a landing zone and then a 120 yard pitch in
    Hole 11: There is a marker on the hill which IMO you are served by hitting a 160+ yard shot 10 yards right off which should get you just short of the green.
    Hole 14: Loads of space on your tee shot but your second shot is blind into a hidden green

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

I have to say it's the most fun course I've ever played. Now I know it's not everyones cup of tea but those who get it seem to really get it. Rocking up to the 1st tee there fills me with more excitement and joy than the vast majority of other courses I've played. Long live the King.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's fun, but that fekin 17th

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

for the hell of it - Here is my course guide

1: Usually a pitching wedge but depending on the wind it can be an 8 iron - large green so a par is a good score
    2: The wind is usually off the right here so take nothing more than an 8 iron of the tee and aim for the right hand side of the gap. That should leave a handy wedge. Birdie chance
    3: Really tough but an amazing hole. From the back teeth aim for the fairway in front of you, if you are forward then you can take a bit off the right hand side. The fairway is undulating and the green is long but narrow, it is protected right by a dune and left a small bunker and another dune. Bogey is a great score
    4: Downhill par 3, 100 yard flick with a wedge. if you land short right you will roll off. Short left is the play
    5: Really tricky short par 4. There is more room out right than you can see from the tee box. If you can the play is a draw with a hybrid of the tee. Should leave 8iron to a wedge
    6: Another par 3, short again you just need a wedge. Beautiful hole where the wind can be deceiving, there is never a breath on the flag but when the ball is in the air it can move alot
    7: Another tricky short par 4. Completely different hole from the back tee, you need to play safe with a 6 iron aimed at the marker. From the front tee you can hit a 5 wood at the green but you can easily lose a ball this way.
    Approach is tricky, you need your yardage to be spot on
    8: Par 4 where you can take the driver. There is water down the left and a slice right will end up with a lost ball. If you can hit a baby fade 250 then you are in good position to hit a big enough green
    9: Long Par 3 which dependent on the wind and pin position could be a 5wood / hybrid or an 8 iron. Water hazard skirts the whole left side of the green down to the front tho in the summer you can easily play out of this. Really good par 3
    10: Straightforward par 3 where a par should be standard enough
    11: Quirky as hell, alot of people go for the green. I think its a recipe for a lost ball. Far better tactic is a 5 iron 10 yards right of the marker and you should avoid the bunker. Left of the marker leaves a blind shot into the green. Even if you are in the bunker you can make a birdie here as long as you don't do something stupid from the tee
    12: Par 5 where it pays to hug the right hand side. If you can't get home in two then aim a 7 iron at the driving nets, Shoudl leave a wedge into a tricky green. For a par 5 a par is a good score
    13: Snakey green - super tricky putt no matter where you land it. Really nice par 3 which is a 9 iron when its not too windy
    14: Another mental challenge of a hole - you need to hit a solid long iron or maybe a 5 wood just short of the dunes. This will leave an 8 iron which 9 times out of ten will be blind. I think a par is a great score here. Lots of ways in which you can go wrong
    15: Straight forward grip it and rip it - two fairways to aim at. Approach shot needs to be accurate to a small undulating green
    16: Usually into the wind it is an easy drive but like 15 the important shot is the approach. A par is a great score here
    17: ALl about the pin position, if its up top then its a tough 9 iron to hold it up there. If its on the bottom then you need to be on the bottom deck, you are better off off the green than on the top deck
    18: Decent closing hole. I like to aim a 5 wood at the two bunkers which should leave me short and a wedge into the green. There is a bunker on the left which eats up more than it should and if you are too far right you can be dead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Lads, I hit my driver 240 to 270 yards consistently and have had 300 yards+ drives in Spain (ball travels further there) My playing partner is not a big hitter and the two low guys that were paired with us on the day were big as well and we all played driver and none of us got to the green!

I'm not making it up :)

I've hit a pitching wedge to the same green previously with the wind going the other way.

Just to qualify it though it was by far the windiest conditions I've played in ever and many didn't turn up and many more walked in before they finished the 18. It was crazy. I wasnt even able to stand up securely while playing my shots...

Hopefully yell never see conditions like that for those who are members... but just ask lads in pro shop if they remember society day a few years back when it was really really REALLY windy..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

kip

kip

Some people don't have the game for it in fairness.

I have seen some really good parkland golfers fall to bits in corballis - they might be able to overpower some holes but you need to know your miss out there - it will bite you

Great course synopsis by the way willabur. I'd agree with virtually everything and have the same comments on most holes.

The one criticism I'd have of the course is that a lot of the tee shots have very little danger considering the club you'll be playing. 2nd and 7th (not from the back tees) have large fairways to hit and you only need to carry about 140m. 14 has huge space to aim for, although the better you position yourself you can leave yourself with a 9 iron into the green as opposed to a 5 room or so. And 15 and 16 are virtually 0 danger driver holes. Now there are still difficulties on those holes, but they're almost entirely on the second shots.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I honestly enjoy playing there, its great for your short game. 15 & 16 are real mickey mouse holes and are outright dangerous but the rest is a good test. Obviously Blue Note has never put a ball out on the road or into the derelict house on the right!!!

You could actually play it with a 7 iron and a putter!!

The best part of Corballis (runs.......)

EJmLJK7XUAE9FyP?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

slave1 wrote: »
    The best part of Corballis (runs.......)

EJmLJK7XUAE9FyP?format=jpg&name=small

Lol

That's mean!!!

:p Only Joshing, think it's a great picture though

Bump for anyone posting in Hollystown thread.

So what do people think of Hollystown as a course?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

blue note wrote: »
    So what do people think of Hollystown as a course?

I think its great because of how safe it is to play.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Up 5 places to 85 in Irish Golfer rankings spot the typo in below review...

"This is a thrilling links (par 66) rolling over some chaotic and shapely dunes. With six par threes it promises fun and adventure and, in the par four 3rd, one of Ireland’s great golf holes.

VERDICT: Public links golf that packs in the adventure. (⇑5) "

https://irishgolfer.ie/top-100/2020/01/13/the-irish-golfer-top-100-courses-in-ireland-2020/

7 par threes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Was thinking of playing the open on wednesday but it seems to only have slots for 2 hours and they're full. Sites not what I'm used to, am I reading it wrong? Any members?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Was thinking of playing the open on wednesday but it seems to only have slots for 2 hours and they're full. Sites not what I'm used to, am I reading it wrong? Any members?

They are using Chronogolf as their booking engine. Its the greatest heap of sh1t ever. It costs them money on a daily basis with people unable to book anything through it and simply getting annoyed and going elsewhere. I can't understand why any club would use this software.

To answer your question. No, its unlikely its full - The comp is usually all day but you have to ring them to see what times are free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Cheers, I'll give a ring tomorrow.

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Cheers, I'll give a ring tomorrow.

It's not full at all, loads of spots left. Give them a ring. You can play any time on the day and enter the comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

from reading this forum, this place is a course i want to play, just a pity its so far away!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,740 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

davegilly wrote: »
    To answer your question. No, its unlikely its full - The comp is usually all day but you have to ring them to see what times are free.

How much is Friday Comp these days - was 15 quid , before new operation.

How much is Friday Comp these days - was 15 quid , before new operation.

€20. Mon, Wed and Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

davegilly wrote: »
    €20. Mon, Wed and Friday

open comp there 3 days a week over the summer?

• Advertisement

They had one on a saturday also last year though I hear it didn't do great business for them so it might not happen again this year. Its a pity as sometimes a saturday suits me better to get out and play a comp

Advertisement