Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Good Shepherd Convent Dunboyne

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gavig123

I remember Ivan and yes he was sr annes dog.

I was there twice - once in 1969 when I was born and stayed there with my birth mother until I was adopted at 5 months old. History repeated itself and I was there in 1986 when my son was born and he was placed for adoption in 1987. I did not know until recently that I had been there in 1969 which I found unsettling. I have been back at a friends wedding in the hotel when I had no option but to go and found it to be one of the hardest days of my life my husband was with me and knows all my history and helped me get through that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mazdoll

Hi there, good to hear another voice, its amazing its a five star hotel now, i wonder if they know the history, i havent been up there yet but would like to, not sure of the reaction. Must have been very daunting for you finding out you were there in 69. Strange world isnt it. Sometimes it seems as if that place is all just a blur.
    :confused:

hi mazdoll

its amazing looking back - somedays that place seems like a dream. Don't think anyone can really understand it unless they were there, thankfully it was only for a short time can only imagine what it was like to anyone stuck in places like that for years.. Was really weird to find out I had been there before.
    i often think of the girls who were there with me and don't know their names and can only hope they have gone on to have a happy life whatever decision they made.
    How society has changed for the better since then and that these places no longer exist.

Hope life is good to you and yours

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ryan05

hi my name is shirley and i was in dunboyne 1986 were u there then.
    Hi Shirley
    i was born in 1986 in dunboyne and apparently my birth mothers name was catherine? do you remember anyone by that name that had a baby girl in July

Hi ryan05

i was there in oct 1986 to dec 1986 and unfortunately we were all given different names and although I can recall faces and have bumped into two of the girls who were there I cant recall specific names. as we were given assumed identities names seemed unimportant.

If you were born late in 1986 I would have been there the same time as your birth mother and can only say they were a super bunch of girls all with different stories. There was a great sense of comraderie as we were all in the same position and if one was down the others would pick them up and help them along. I would not have made it through the time there if it wasnt for the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 ryan05

aw thats such a nice thing for such a crazy situation! i was born in july so i doubt my mother was there the same time but its nice to hear something nice about the place cause i have just been picturing an awful place with an awful atmosphere thanks again for your reply:o

hi my name is shirley and i was in dunboyne 1986 were u there then.

Hi Shirley

My name is Trish I was there in 1986 from oct - dec what part of 1986 were you there for?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dunboyner

gavig123 wrote: »
    I remember Ivan and yes he was sr annes dog.

I was there twice - once in 1969 when I was born and stayed there with my birth mother until I was adopted at 5 months old. History repeated itself and I was there in 1986 when my son was born and he was placed for adoption in 1987. I did not know until recently that I had been there in 1969 which I found unsettling. I have been back at a friends wedding in the hotel when I had no option but to go and found it to be one of the hardest days of my life my husband was with me and knows all my history and helped me get through that day.

hows things iseen the girls coming and going through the convent over the years of my apprentiship in the 80s father rispin would say mass every morning
    if i meet the girls in the hallways i would have go to the side or step
    in to a room as they passed the nuns used to give us our dinner in their kitchen at 1230 the cleaning lady worked there for years was from st patricks park magoveren was her name .funny when you look back on it.
    some girls were teriffied others were mad as in funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Enda63

I'm another double jobber from Dunboyne, there first in 1963 for 10 months and returned in 1981 (Oct-Dec). Still in touch with one of the girls that was there with me, the mad one from Cork!!!! and one other too.

Often wonder what happened the rest of the gang that were there with me.

Been up to look around the hotel and it made my skin crawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 shassa

i would like to get intouch with some of the girls that were in dunboyne from november 1985 to february 1986 i had a baby girl in holles street maternity hospital and i gave her up for adoption

• Advertisement

hi when in 1986 were you in dunboyne i was ther upto march 1986

hi shassa

I was there from late oct 86 to dec 86 got home for new year. I had a son who was adopted. Would not have been there at same times as you but must have been same nuns but unlikely any of the girls overlapped our stays.

gavig123 wrote: »
    hi shassa

i am trying to find out some information about a girl that took a photo of me and my daughter in the hospital she was in dunboyne too but i cannot remember her name

shassa

sorry I can't help you with that - really hope you manage to get in contact with her and get the photo - hope all is well with you

yes all is well it is difficult when you are getting different messages and it is confusing

shassa

going to try and pm you

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Carlow333

I was there in 1986. You are bringing back such memories, not all of them bad. Had some good times there too and the other girls were such a comfort.

Hello how are you when were you in dunboyne i went to dunboyne in November 1985 and stayed there until March 1986. it would be good to get in touch with some of the girls that were there i know this can be difficult for some. It is now a hotel.
    :)write back

hi carlow 333 - when is 1986 were u there? I agree it wasn't all bad the girls there all pulled together and helped each other along

i was there from November 1985 until March 1986

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 orange girl

Mazdoll wrote: »
    My son is twenty this week. It has been two decades since I spent my pregnancy in the Good Shepherd Mother and baby home in Dunboyne. My son is with me and we have not had an easy life but a good life "together". I always think of all the girls who were there in dunboyne spending their preganacy with me. All the babies given up for adoption, where are they now, the heart ache and loss of the Mam's and the waiting for contact over these years.

I think of the letters we had to write to our babies, newly born at the time and the cries in the "after hospital room" from us mothers for the loss of our children.

If any of you are reading this, I have not forgotten and for every milestone I reach with my son, I think of you and hope that one day you will be reunited.

Hi There
    Happy irthday to your son who is twenty this week , my daughter will be twenty this May and is still with me too thank god,i logged on a found this thread by accident and it just seems so unreal as i havent talked about dunboyne in years,it holds good and sad memories ,
    To all the very very brave girls who were there and gave their babies up my thoughts and prayers with you always.
    I was there from dec 1990 to early june 1990 and it amde me grow up very quickly, some wonderful marvellous girls that i will never forget

luv to u all xx

Hi There
    Happy irthday to your son who is twenty this week , my daughter will be twenty this May and is still with me too thank god,i logged on a found this thread by accident and it just seems so unreal as i havent talked about dunboyne in years,it holds good and sad memories ,
    To all the very very brave girls who were there and gave their babies up my thoughts and prayers with you always.
    I was there from dec 1990 to early june 1990 and it amde me grow up very quickly, some wonderful marvellous girls that i will never forget

luv to u all xx

I remember i went back when my daughter was two for tea woth sr anne and she told me that she sometimes regretted any influence she may have had on girls decisions ,i remember that really shocked me because it was i was so nearly persuaded to give my daughter up for adoption.

hi mazdoll
    i think i know you and lost contact with you as i did all the girls if it is you ,its great to hear from you my daughter is called ciara do you remember me

I would have been gone from Dunboyne then, i left first or second week in november 1989, but its good to hear from you . I hope you and Ciara are doing well, not an easy road. It was nice to hear Sr Anne had an understanding of her role in Ard Mhuire, she was very forcefull in her way around adopting. :mad: Wonder what she is doing now. I would like sometime for all who posted on this thread to meet up, think it would be good.
    We seem to be the hidden women of Ireland. Just think we have a voice that needs to be heard:):):):) This thread has had over 7000 hits I think that says something

Hello gavig123

Hello Shassa

Hello Enda63

Hello Ryan05

Hello MaryBang

• Advertisement