Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tedious Bickering

1202122232426»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Oldlegs wrote: »
    Although I am sure that the Moderator is using his good judgement in deleting comments due to "Ad hominem" - I would consider the potential for a conflict of interest to outweigh the potential for the debate to focus on the personal rather than the subject matter.

Whether you agree or disagree with the issue of conflict of interest, there is a need for principals in the case to clearly demonstrate absence of a conflict of interest. Once that has been clearly established any further questioning of their integrity then becomes "Ad hominem". Until that has been established, questioning the potential for conflict of interest is core to the debate and not tangential.

I've been drinking, so hopefully someone else can follow this http://plover.net/~bonds/adhominem.html

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Not sure if you want me to explain my original post, or "Ad hominem". :confused:

My OP was to highlight my view that the question of Conflict of Interest is at the core of the debate. The use of "Ad hominem" comes from the Moderator's justification for deleting a number of points

(BTW I had to google it too :-) )

(( It is Friday night here also, but a few hours ahead, so cheers !))

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Oldlegs wrote: »
    Just to add, the deleted comments may well have been over the line, but I would just like to ensure that the question of Conflict of Interest does not become "Ad hominem" until it has been fully addressed by the principals at the centre of the topic.

Thanks for your input there but do you mind if el tonto, beasty, uberwolf, gavin and myself mod the forum?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

uberwolf wrote: »
    I've been drinking, so hopefully someone else can follow this http://plover.net/~bonds/adhominem.html
    Condensing it into boards spiel, I would intrepret it as "attack the post, not the poster"

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Thanks for your input there but do you mind if el tonto, beasty, uberwolf, gavin and myself mod the forum?

<Deleted by poster>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Beasty wrote: »
    Condensing it into boards spiel, I would intrepret it as "attack the post, not the poster"

You didn't actually read it, did you? :D
    Argumentum ad hominem is the logical fallacy of attempting to undermine a speaker's argument by attacking the speaker instead of addressing the argument. The mere presence of a personal attack does not indicate ad hominem: the attack must be used for the purpose of undermining the argument, or otherwise the logical fallacy isn't there.

"Attack the post, not the poster" is more about civility than logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Thought ad hominem (otherwise known as "play the ball, not the man") is a rhetorical rather than a logical fallacy......

....really, what are they teaching kids on liberal arts degree courses these days!!!:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement