Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Most Useful Piece of Cycling Equipment for commute

• 28-01-2006 6:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Whats the best bit of kit you have on your bike. I cant recommend the airzound horn for the bike enough. http://www.cyclesurgery.com/brandlist/mcs/brand/Air+Zound/

You can get the m for between 20 and 30 euro in most bike shops.It is so loud that cars can even hear it - 115 decibels. It has helped me so many times avoid collisions with cars and especially pedestrians. Great fun also cycling behind pedestrians and scaring the bejaysus out of them.:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

inchydoney wrote:
    Whats the best bit of kit you have on your bike.
    Experience, defensive road use and common sense combined with properly fitted lights & reflectors.

Gadgets are just a distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Some distractions can be useful e.g. airhorns!
    Experience, defensive road use and common sense combined with properly fitted lights & reflectors.

Gadgets are just a distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

I'm not convinced about these horns. By the time you've moved your hand to press the button, you've wasted valuable braking time. Much better to look ahead to foresee idiots and take a good road position.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I find the saddle quite useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mucco wrote:
    I'm not convinced about these horns. By the time you've moved your hand to press the button, you've wasted valuable braking time. Much better to look ahead to foresee idiots and take a good road position.

M
    I wouldnt mind it. Only place people really get in my way is cycle lanes. I can be going 50km/hr down a stretch and see people sauntering along oblivious, some actually look at you as though you are in the wrong, cycling on their path! I see them a very long way off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I find my cycle computer to be very handy, it helps me keep pace

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Gloves tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

King Raam wrote:
    I find my cycle computer to be very handy, it helps me keep pace
    Whats that? Like a digital speedometer? :confused: I'd say mp3 player except for that it would be suicidal on Irish roads...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Whats that? Like a digital speedometer? :confused:

yup, that's exactly it. It also keeps track of how far you have cycled in total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

King Raam wrote:
    yup, that's exactly it. It also keeps track of how far you have cycled in total.

Handy little gadget that, I must get my hands on one...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Sneaky_Russian

some useful commutting equipment.

1). a good bag for you gear.
    i have a Berghaus FreeFlow II. it has a rib which arches away from your back and allows air in to keep you back cool (works too). Enough room for a change of clothes and a towel. Has it's own rain cover which keeps it dry when its raining

2) Rain Gear. invest in a good set. breathable rain jacket and rain trousers.
    also a pair of water proof overshoes to stop the rain running off and soaking your feet.

3) Lights and Sam Brown/Iluminus gear. BE SEEN.....and remember all drivers are idiots.

4) Mudguards.....sometimes i wish i had some :)

5) A good wicking base layer if your gonna get sweaty on your commute.
    byrnje string vest type layers are excellent.

6) Helmet of course.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

1). a good bag for you gear.
    i have a Berghaus FreeFlow II. it has a rib which arches away from your back and allows air in to keep you back cool (works too). Enough room for a change of clothes and a towel. Has it's own rain cover which keeps it dry when its raining
    I have the FreeFlow II bag too. It does a good job of keeping my back cool (well, relatively - I cycle hard so even with no clothes on and a northly breeze blowing I'd still be sweating - but it a huge improvement on the regular bag that I used to have). I'm lucky in that I can leave my towel and shower gear in my desk locker at work. The arch bit does reduce the capacity a bit.
    I also run with this bag - the chest and waist strap mean that the bag is held firmly against by back, and not bouncing around.
    I also added 2 reflective stickers to the rain cover as the bag covers my Sam Browne belt.
    4) Mudguards.....sometimes i wish i had some :)
    Definitely worth getting. I've added rather unattractive mud flaps (made out of a doormat) to the end of both mudguards to make them much better (I'll never understand why mudguard manufacturers make them so short - they obviously never test them in the wet).
    5) A good wicking base layer if your gonna get sweaty on your commute. byrnje string vest type layers are excellent.
    I wear Nike Pro tight shirts under my other gear. Keeps me warm in winter and cool in summer (by taking sweat off my skin quickly).

For a speedometer, I have the CatEye Mity 8. I like it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Gloves, mudgaurds and reflective jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

An Abus lock.

Advertisement