Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tubeless road - it actually works

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

the mavic on mavi setup was easier to get on, i found it tricky but with tubeless tyre levers id get it done, father in law did it in no time using his palms.

sealant wise it recommends 4-6months so given you miles you base it on that, i found tyres if they had a seal started to go from their so didn't get quiet the milage id like althou i blame wicklow coco

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

On point 1 from youtheman above I have always found the schwalbe pro ones come off and go on easily so it all depends on your rim/tyre combo. Hopefully it will be when replacing a tyre at home that you find out how yours is.

I have a photo elsewhere in this thread of a tiny pouch I carry. I generally also bring a tube and now some tyre boots. I bring the boots because the one time the system failed the sidewall tear was too big to fit a tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Beginning to lose patience with tubeless to some extent. I’m on my third rear tyre In a little under 18 months, in the 4 years I rode clinchers I changed one tyre.

The two rear tyres both cut and the sealant couldn’t fill the hole, I’m not convinced by the advantages of tubeless, if there are any.

I had rim tape bought only to discover it’s too wide for the rims so now I have to go and order new tape. Luckily I have a set of clinchers in reserve, vitorria rubino graphene 2.0.

Not sure if I’ll persevere with tubeless for much longer to be honest. Ah well.

who_ru wrote: »
    Beginning to lose patience with tubeless to some extent. I’m on my third rear tyre In a little under 18 months, in the 4 years I rode clinchers I changed one tyre.

The two rear tyres both cut and the sealant couldn’t fill the hole, I’m not convinced by the advantages of tubeless, if there are any.

I had rim tape bought only to discover it’s too wide for the rims so now I have to go and order new tape. Luckily I have a set of clinchers in reserve, vitorria rubino graphene 2.0.

time is selective measure, km use is much better measure, mine last much less time but then the tyres are designed to roll much better so much lighter their are lots of diff tubeless tyres you can get, some last alot longer, yes holes are issue just like are on normal tyre with tube inside.

For me anything like endurance or racing tubeless is no brainer. For something more leisurely maybe not, tubeless for commutting seems no brainer in most cases as it will seal and get to destination where u can pump, no pinch flats or glass flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭youtheman

who_ru wrote: »

What type of tyre are you using?. I initially used Schwalbe and they didn't last pi55ing time. I now use the Continental 5000, and they seem to be far more durable.

• Advertisement

youtheman wrote: »
    What type of tyre are you using?. I initially used Schwalbe and they didn't last pi55ing time. I now use the Continental 5000, and they seem to be far more durable.

I'm using the stock tubeless tyre that giant supply. I know the tyres and wheels that come with modern road bikes are not the best that you can get, seems most folks upgrade them. Seriously considering mavic carbon wheels and tires next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

I never had any great issue getting tubeless tyres off, in order to fit a tube. It really is a matter of how your rims and tyres (in my case, Schwalbe pro-ones on AL-33 rims) get on with one another. However, buying good quality levers is also important.

I'd certainly recommend doing this at home, before you discover at the side of the road that your plasticene tyre levers don't work.

For fitting myself, I found that harringtonp's recommendation of a track pump with a high-pressure reservoir (the AirBlast) was a winner. It's also a really good pump and a pleasure to use...odd thing to say, but it really is much better than my old track pump.

All that said, the extreme non-durability of Pro-Ones wrecks my head, and I'm currently back using up my old stocks of GP-4000s. I might go to 5000 TLs afterwards, hopefully they'll have gotten a bit cheaper 8-).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Do people tend to just add new sealant every 6 months? Or is it better to take off the tyres, clean the old stuff and then add new?

Do people tend to just add new sealant every 6 months? Or is it better to take off the tyres, clean the old stuff and then add new?

Just top up the old stuff, no need to take off tires at all. Deflate and add, inflate.

I battled for hours today trying to get a new tire on, cleaned down the rim, put new tape on (proper rim tape as opposed to gorilla tape), tried to get the tires to mount but no joy, I’m also using an airblast pump. Ultimately I think an air compressor is the answer but having run out of energy and time today I will return to the thankless task of getting the tire on next week.

Oh and make sure you have direction of rotation right first time..

I saw a video that says inflating with a tube in first will seal the bead to the rim, then deflate, break bead on one side, remove tube, and then try and get the other bead to seat. Might be worth a try next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

That tube first thing does help.

A 5-euro adaptor and a petrol station compressor is painless.

• Advertisement

brownian wrote: »
    I never had any great issue getting tubeless tyres off, in order to fit a tube. It really is a matter of how your rims and tyres (in my case, Schwalbe pro-ones on AL-33 rims) get on with one another. However, buying good quality levers is also important.

I'd certainly recommend doing this at home, before you discover at the side of the road that your plasticene tyre levers don't work.

For fitting myself, I found that harringtonp's recommendation of a track pump with a high-pressure reservoir (the AirBlast) was a winner. It's also a really good pump and a pleasure to use...odd thing to say, but it really is much better than my old track pump.

All that said, the extreme non-durability of Pro-Ones wrecks my head, and I'm currently back using up my old stocks of GP-4000s. I might go to 5000 TLs afterwards, hopefully they'll have gotten a bit cheaper 8-).

Im using mavic ust so it works well with own tyres but iv bought hutchinshon now as they make mavic,

On Pro Ones, they have now released a new verison

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Got my first (that I noticed) puncture today, 500km in (Schwalbe Pro One). Thankfully it was at the end of a long group ride, had a beer at the end and still had 3km to get home and spotted some glass too late.

Noticed a hissing from the tyre straight away, added a bit of air with the hand pump but that didn't hold for the 3km home. Was able to limp home ok but tyre completely flat again. Will need to try my first repair now, this tyre was deflating by itself if I left it for a week more so not sure if it was already low on sealant or if adding one of those little rubber worms will do the job. Hole doesn't look to be, would have expected it to seal by itself tbh

If there was enough sealant you could expect to see the white coloring around the hole

If there was enough sealant you could expect to see the white coloring around the hole

Adding more sealant seems to have done the trick (even though it didn't completely seal on the first go, but another long spin of the wheel seems to have sorted it).

A bit odd as wheels were bought two months ago with tyres installed from the manufacturer. Does anyone go out with a little bottle of sealant in a saddle bag?

Adding more sealant seems to have done the trick (even though it didn't completely seal on the first go, but another long spin of the wheel seems to have sorted it).

A bit odd as wheels were bought two months ago with tyres installed from the manufacturer. Does anyone go out with a little bottle of sealant in a saddle bag?

No but its something I would do if I could find a bottle the right size. You would have expected the manufacturer to put in enough sealant but at least from now on it, it is in your hands. The last couple of years I have topped up in late Feb and work off that until the end of racing early September. Unless I've had to change tyre of course.

Replaced the valve this morning after breaking the head of the old one when pumping... I always check pressure before use and knew for some time it would break as it was bent.

Bought the new ones cheaply on planet x (recommended by my wheel builder) and first impression is that they seem a better valve. My tire changing problems in the past have generally been down to leakage around the valve but with the new valve I go it inflated first go with the lifeline air blaster. I didn't have to take the tire fully off to replace the valve though...

Got my first (that I noticed) puncture today, 500km in (Schwalbe Pro One). Thankfully it was at the end of a long group ride, had a beer at the end and still had 3km to get home and spotted some glass too late.

Noticed a hissing from the tyre straight away, added a bit of air with the hand pump but that didn't hold for the 3km home. Was able to limp home ok but tyre completely flat again. Will need to try my first repair now, this tyre was deflating by itself if I left it for a week more so not sure if it was already low on sealant or if adding one of those little rubber worms will do the job. Hole doesn't look to be, would have expected it to seal by itself tbh

I was about to take out the good bike today for the first time since this puncture 3 weeks ago.

I had topped it up with sealant when I got the puncture and that sealed it, but when as I was pumping up the tyres to head out the air pressure seemed to be blowing out the sealant and the whole was opening up again. Happened every time I got up to 80psi.

What can I do in this case? The whole seems far too small for a plug but not sure if I need one, or to patch it from the inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Just put on my tubeless wheels and tyres this afternoon - they came with the new bike back in April but had been using my deep section wheels all 'summer' and just swapped over today.
    Took out the tubes that were inside the tubeless wheels and put in the TL valves that came with them.

OMG, that was soooooooo easy! I couldn't believe it!
    Pumping them up was just the same as if there was a tube in it, and I was using my same track pump I always use - literally sealed straight away!

They've been inflated for a few hours now, and seem to be holding good - I actually have no sealant here at home so I will have to let them down to put that in, but even without sealant inside there doesn't seem to be any loss (so far).

The easy sealing process I *think* was due to the rim tape - seems to be some sort of shiney 'selotape-looking' sort of material and I guess the beads just slid into place then.

Wheels are Mavic Ksyrium UST
    Tyres are Hutchinson Fusion

Anyway....first impressions are really great, will road test them soon as the doctors give me the ok to ride the bike again in a few weeks all being well.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

Had a bit of an odd commute the other evening. Just over half my spin home done and coming south on Lisheens road after leaving the N81, I was flagged down by two lads pushing MTBs looking for a pump. Said they had been walking for miles. I Sized them up and sure enough one of them had a puncture in his rear tyre.

They were not your typical cyclists and hadn't as much as a tyre lever between them. Anyway I decided to help them. I took off his tyre, found glass in tyre. My spare 23-25mm road tube wasn't going to fit so we located the puncture and I stuck a patch on it. Put the wheel back on and inflated it with my CO2 canister. It inflated enough to get them home to Tallaght I guess. They thanked me and we went our separate ways.

About 3km and five minutes later there was an almighty whoosh from my back wheel. My tubeless Continental GP 5000 TL had split on the sidewall. 7-8mm verticle gash. Hadn't hit a stone recently or anything - it just failed. Anyway, long story short. I had to make the call of shame as I had given away my only CO2 canister. I usually carry a minipump but I had left that in work. I carry a boot patch so could have popped that in with a tube to get me home otherwise. My First puncture in 2 years and I had given away my only means of self rescue 5 mins earlier. So much for Karma haha.

The tyre had about 3.5K km on it so it's not like it was straight out of the box but I wonder are the Conti Tubeless tyres vulnerable to sidewall failure in the same way the regular GP 5000s have a reputation for? I'm Going back to my Schwalbe tubeless now.

Corker1 wrote: »

The tyre had about 3.5K km on it so it's not like it was straight out of the box but I wonder are the Conti Tubeless tyres vulnerable to sidewall failure in the same way the regular GP 5000s have a reputation for? I'm Going back to my Schwalbe tubeless now.

I've only ever used Schwalbe Pro One tubeless but did have a sidewall tear in one too and it had far less km than yours. Nothing in particular caused it that I could identify. Just one of these things

• Advertisement

Thats probably the easiest installation I have heard off
    andy69 wrote: »
    Just put on my tubeless wheels and tyres this afternoon - they came with the new bike back in April but had been using my deep section wheels all 'summer' and just swapped over today.
    Took out the tubes that were inside the tubeless wheels and put in the TL valves that came with them.

OMG, that was soooooooo easy! I couldn't believe it!
    Pumping them up was just the same as if there was a tube in it, and I was using my same track pump I always use - literally sealed straight away!

the mavics with the mavic tyres (made by hutch) took a bit of getting on, but the father in law who has great hands got them on pretty quick so he thought it was handy

andy69 wrote: »
    will road test them soon as the doctors give me the ok to ride the bike again in a few weeks all being well.

Finally allowed back out to play today, so I put in my Stan's sealant last night and pumped up the tyres I fitted a few weeks ago (after doing the 'bounce the wheel' and 'roll along the floor while still deflated' and the 'shake the wheels' tips I picked up on some YouTube Vids...probably overkill but anyways)

So headed out for an hour this morning on our local bumpy/rough-surfaced/potholed L-Roads round here, and everything worked fine - they seem to have held their pressure.

So far I'm a fan!! :cool:
    (especially after learning that the sealant just basically evaporates over time, and you can just top it up: I thought I'd have to remove the tyres after a few months and scrape out the old crap first, and then have all that hassle of trying to reseal the beads which I understand can be tricky, unlike when they're new)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

basic question - these were mentioned in the bargain thread, and are the TLR version (which appears to stand for 'tubeless ready') - would they be OK to use with tubes?

https://www.bikeman.ie/product/hutchinson-fusion-5

edit: i note on their own website, they list TL as the tubeless model, and TT as the tubey model. hmm.

https://www.hutchinsontires.com/en/road/tire/fusion-5-all-season-bike-standard

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

My experience of putting on a tubeless tire (one giant brand and other schwalbe pro one) with a floor pump has involved copious swearing and much spewing of sealant all over the place.

Had to get a valve converter and use my compressor to get it to pop.

My experience of putting on a tubeless tire (one giant brand and other schwalbe pro one) with a floor pump has involved copious swearing and much spewing of sealant all over the place.

Had to get a valve converter and use my compressor to get it to pop.

I think it was a 'paid promotion' sort of Vid from GCN where they were with Mavic and I seem to recall them saying something like the wheel/tyre combo when they come from the one manufacturer makes it easier.
    By chance my bike came with Mavics and Hutchinsons and I couldn't believe how easy it was to seat them. I still think that sort of transparent-looking rim tape they came with was key because it has a very smooth and slippy surface to it and I reckon then the beads slid out to the rims and sealed up straight away.

basic question - these were mentioned in the bargain thread, and are the TLR version (which appears to stand for 'tubeless ready') - would they be OK to use with tubes?

https://www.bikeman.ie/product/hutchinson-fusion-5

edit: i note on their own website, they list TL as the tubeless model, and TT as the tubey model. hmm.

https://www.hutchinsontires.com/en/road/tire/fusion-5-all-season-bike-standard

Well, my tyres are Fusion5's too, but they are the 'performance' ones, so more of a slick look to them than the many threads in the All Seasons you were looking at. Other than that, mine seem to be the same, as they also say 'Tubeless Ready'.
    Anyway, when I got the bike, I was there in the shop the day it arrived from Look, and the sales guy unboxed it with me....the Look factory had supplied the wheels built up and fitted with tubes in the tyres. So i took it that I could run them with tubes if i wanted to...no way Look would let a punter off out on their new bike if it was a danger to be using tubes in the tyres I'd say.
    BUT...if your rims are tube-type, then the bead area would be different to the bead expected by the TLR tyres, so the mis-match might be an issue there possibly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cheers - i emailed them, and they responded to me this evening to confirm they're the TT version (i.e. tube version).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Corker1 wrote: »
    Had a bit of an odd commute the other evening. Just over half my spin home done and coming south on Lisheens road <SNIP>

Lisheen Road....it's singular....very singular. Regardless of whatever Google Maps say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

exaisle wrote: »
    Lisheen Road....it's singular....very singular. Regardless of whatever Google Maps say.

Silly me. You have singularly set me straight on that one. Though now that you are here have you any contribution to make in relation to tubeless road tyres? Any thoughts on rim / tyre compatability? Any tips on easier mounting of tyres? Or maybe you have a favourite sealant fluid that you would like to recommend? It would be a pity if your singular contribution to this thread was in relation to Lisheens being singular.

Advertisement