Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long lost sister

• 16-07-2019 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hello all. My fiancee has a sister that she never met living in England. Her mother travelled there when she was young and had her over there. Unfortunately she was unable to look after her and had to give her up for adoption. Has anyone had any experience of this? Also, has anyone got any tips or contacts about helping to find long lost family? Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭BottleOfSmoke

I would advise you get onto Facebook and search on adoption groups related to Ireland and England. There are lots of people in this situation, and there are number of groups who have like-minded people who offer advice based on their experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭badge1123

I would advise you get onto Facebook and search on adoption groups related to Ireland and England. There are lots of people in this situation, and there are number of groups who have like-minded people who offer advice based on their experience.
    Thanks. We're currently trawling through facebook and facebook pages in the area where she was last located. Have you any ideas as to the adoption groups you mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭BottleOfSmoke

badge1123 wrote: »
    Thanks. We're currently trawling through facebook and facebook pages in the area where she was last located. Have you any ideas as to the adoption groups you mentioned?

One group is "Adoption Voices - UK & Ireland"
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/adopteetracinghelp/

Another group is "Adoption Rights Alliance", which is more of a campaigning group for Irish adoptees, but lots of helpful people on it who will answer questions and give tips.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/adoptionrightsalliance/

Both are private group so you have to request to join. The Adoption Rights Alliance replies with a message with questions (basically making sure you have some connection to the adoption world), so check your messenger. May take a few days.

A group

One group is "Adoption Voices - UK & Ireland"
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/adopteetracinghelp/

Another group is "Adoption Rights Alliance", which is more of a campaigning group for Irish adoptees, but lots of helpful people on it who will answer questions and give tips.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/adoptionrightsalliance/

Both are private group so you have to request to join. The Adoption Rights Alliance replies with a message with questions (basically making sure you have some connection to the adoption world), so check your messenger. May take a few days.

A group

Nice one thanks a million for them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Try a 23andme DNA test ? That is how I found my family in the UK .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Pat.90

In my case my daughter was placed through a private adoption agency long since closed, the records moved twice, finally ending up with The Adolescent and Children's Trust (TACT) The Courtyard, 303 Hither Green Ln, Hither Green, London SE13 6TJ, UK. they were very helpful and I logged up a good few hours on the phone to them, your fiancee will need to fill out a form to progress things when contacting them any and all information is helpful (we received a profile of the adoptive parents, first names, ages, occupations ect. ) if they hold the information your fiancee will have to meet their social worker in person, I'm not saying this particular group hold the information you require but they are worth a shot, the transparency in the adoption system in the UK in my experience is superior to the Irish one, they still will not put you in touch until the ground work is done but it it is worth the wait. Best of luck.

Pat.90 wrote: »
    In my case my daughter was placed through a private adoption agency long since closed, the records moved twice, finally ending up with The Adolescent and Children's Trust (TACT) The Courtyard, 303 Hither Green Ln, Hither Green, London SE13 6TJ, UK. they were very helpful and I logged up a good few hours on the phone to them, your fiancee will need to fill out a form to progress things when contacting them any and all information is helpful (we received a profile of the adoptive parents, first names, ages, occupations ect. ) if they hold the information your fiancee will have to meet their social worker in person, I'm not saying this particular group hold the information you require but they are worth a shot, the transparency in the adoption system in the UK in my experience is superior to the Irish one, they still will not put you in touch until the ground work is done but it it is worth the wait. Best of luck.

Thanks. We were already in touch with tact. They said there was nobody of that name on their bools basically. Thanks for the info though.

Advertisement