Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Normal People [BBC - RTE] - [**SPOILERS**]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Basq wrote: »
    As opposed to her other well-known roles? :D

She was excellent in Bad Times at the El Royale and in A Bigger Splash to be fair to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Basq wrote: »
    As opposed to her other well-known roles? :D

Need for Speed :D

I think Daisy as Marianne looks like Dakota as Anastasia

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Watched the first episode. Probably fair to say this is not near as edgy as Lenny Abrahamsom would normally deliver. Which is fine but probably not for me.

To give Abrahamson his credit he never tries to ram an agenda down the viewers necks. Just keeps it simple and focuses on dialogue. Garage was perhaps some of his best work to date. His directorial style is very subtle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Hmm, one episode in and I'm not sure why people loved this book. I read her other book and didn't think it was great, which discouraged me reading Normal People.

Also, the kissing noises seem to have the volume turned up too much!

Perhaps I am dead inside. ;)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

On episode 2, is it all just sex?!
    Nope but episode 5 has a fairly graphic one if your only interested in that lol.
    Hey they are meant to be young in the show!

I'm enjoying it so far, very much in keeping with the book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,979 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's beautifully filmed anyway and the background music is lovely.

I can see why it wouldn't be to everyone's taste, but I've watched a lot worse than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Tis good but when I was in school and if we had a girl as good looking as Mariane, every lad would be after her and no one would bother hiding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

I don't think it's anything to do with her looks. Purely that she's not part of the cool crowd, and actively talks down to them and even the teachers. So much so that she's almost "the enemy".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I don't think it's anything to do with her looks. Purely that she's not part of the cool crowd, and actively talks down to them and even the teachers. So much so that she's almost "the enemy".

Yeah but if someone is as attractive as she is, I don't think that social standing would come into it, especially in a rural school in Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Where is this supposedly based or is it just a generic Irish town? I see a lot of Sligo reg cars in it.
    Anyone know where it was filmed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I think it's well done, beautifully shot, and really catches the vibe of the book. But I didn't like the book. I don't relate to it at all, I don't find the characters likeable or at all realistic. It's a great novelty to see a big production that accurately captures Ireland though. I'm glad it seems to be a good adaptation for those who love the book. I don't think I'll be able to stick with it. And I keep waiting for your man to say Ballyhaunis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I think it's well done, beautifully shot, and really catches the vibe of the book. But I didn't like the book. I don't relate to it at all, I don't find the characters likeable or at all realistic. It's a great novelty to see a big production that accurately captures Ireland though. I'm glad it seems to be a good adaptation for those who love the book. I don't think I'll be able to stick with it. And I keep waiting for your man to say Ballyhaunis.

Agree with all of this, and I knew I knew him from somewhere!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,979 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Where is this supposedly based or is it just a generic Irish town? I see a lot of Sligo reg cars in it.
    Anyone know where it was filmed?

'Carricklea', County Sligo (a fictional town).

Maybe I'm too old or something, but I don't really get this. Your man looks about 35 though in fairness.

Is he your man from the Denny's ad Ballyhaunis

• Registered Users Posts: 48 GCIREL

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Yep.... now you've noticed you've ruined it for yourself ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

And I keep waiting for your man to say Ballyhaunis.
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Yep. I just couldn't get past it. The big gormless head on him. It's not that he's bad looking, I'll just always see him as that dopey fecker with the sausages.

Strazdas wrote: »
    'Carricklea', County Sligo (a fictional town).

Tubbercurry!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Tubbercurry!
    Also a fictional town..

(c’mon.. with a ridiculous name like that.. it’d have to be surely! :pac:)

Oh, and the beach in the second episode was Streedagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Haven't read the book but I've a feeling she wasn't quite meant to be as attractive as that. She's probably based to some degree on Sally Rooney herself.

Yep. I just couldn't get past it. The big gormless head on him. It's not that he's bad looking, I'll just always see him as that dopey fecker with the sausages.

And now he is getting his own sausage out :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,431 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

One thing that annoyed me was that nobody punched that p***k Jamie in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

One thing that annoyed me was that nobody punched that p***k Jamie in the face.

Jamie was one of the worst characters in anything ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I think it's well done, beautifully shot, and really catches the vibe of the book. But I didn't like the book. I don't relate to it at all, I don't find the characters likeable or at all realistic.

Book was OK but had a serious flaw in the plot IMHO. One central theme of the story is role reversal. In the book this was believable for the Conall character when he comes up to the big smoke. But far less so for Marianne (was that he name) - we're supposed to believe that she transformed 'overnight' from a quiet introverted nerdy, shrinking violet character into the life & soul of the party. That would require a major change of personality/ character but no explanation of why this should happen. Too contrived a plot for it's own good.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 OneMoreBabadee

Were the school scenes filmed in Hartstown Community School , Dublin 15? Turned it on for a sec the other night and was thinking wtf is my old school doing on TV lol. Even the uniform is identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Were the school scenes filmed in Hartstown Community School , Dublin 15? Turned it on for a sec the other night and was thinking wtf is my old school doing on TV lol. Even the uniform is identical.

Yep, it's Hartstown. My other half is in it as an extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭amusicalfrog

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Book was OK but had a serious flaw in the plot IMHO. One central theme of the story is role reversal. In the book this was believable for the Conall character when he comes up to the big smoke. But far less so for Marianne (was that he name) - we're supposed to believe that she transformed 'overnight' from a quiet introverted nerdy, shrinking violet character into the life & soul of the party. That would require a major change of personality/ character but no explanation of why this should happen. Too contrived a plot for it's own good.

i think certain courses/societies in trinity really cater to a type of personality which secondary schools by and large don't. I certainly know a few people who went from being considered weird/quiet/annoying in school to being social butterflies within a few months of starting in college. I'm sure it's the same in other colleges but i think it's particularly acute in trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

i think certain courses/societies in trinity really cater to a type of personality which secondary schools by and large don't. I certainly know a few people who went from being considered weird/quiet/annoying in school to being social butterflies within a few months of starting in college. I'm sure it's the same in other colleges but i think it's particularly acute in trinity.

Yep, tonnes of people come out of their shell in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭satguy

Watched all 12 episodes last night. (28 min per Ep)

It's a wee bit racy, but I hung in there, and enjoyed the story.

The bit in Sweden might have been left out, But for the most, it rolled along nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

Some very positive reviews from both the Ringer and The New York Times:
    https://www.theringer.com/tv/2020/4/28/21238925/normal-people-making-of-sally-rooney-hulu
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/28/arts/television/normal-people-review.html

This could become very very big guys. The trailer has over 7.5 million views. Paul’s Instagram has gone from 3k followers last week to 53k followers today if that is any barometer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭threetrees

I enjoyed it. However it was a bit strange to be watching a man who know is 24 and some of his buddies who I know are mid 20's in school uniforms.

Daisy Edgar Jones is 22, again in uniform is a bit weird.

Aside from that it was good. I think silence is everything in a series like this. A little like Brooklyn, the silences and the timing of the conversations are key.

Advertisement