Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little Fires Everywhere [Hulu]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Janey, how many things is Reese Witherspoon in at the moment? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 31,749 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The book is a good read this looks excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

She only seems to appear in things she produces herself these days but she's churning then out at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

She has shows on Hulu, Netflix, Apple, Amazon, HBO & Starz all going or starting this year as well as a number of films in production and a talkshow and a bookclub.

She is a mega streaming producer right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,332 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I believe the first three episodes are up now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Rfrip

This is so worth the watch. Great performances from the whole cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Fantastic show. Best thing I've seen on TV in years. I'm tempted to give it a 9/10, but I think I should really give it a 10/10 (and I am usually incredibly hard to please: I've only ever given 10/10 to The Wire and The Sopranos!).

It starts slowly but, my God, it builds and builds to an incredible crescendo. I started with the first episode and thought it's okay. I didn't think I'd stick with it and I didn't watch the second episode until a week later, but then I slowly got hooked. I didn't binge watch this, because there was so much to digest in each episode, and I'm glad I savoured it.

On many occasions I really disliked the characters, yet I also really liked them all too. I was shouting at the TV so much, and pausing it throughout to have a discussion with my wife about what just happened. Everybody is very flawed and very human. Well-rounded characters and exceptional writing and performances. It'll clean up at the award shows next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gemancy

Fantastic show. Best thing I've seen on TV in years. I'm tempted to give it a 9/10, but I think I should really give it a 10/10 (and I am usually incredibly hard to please: I've only ever given 10/10 to The Wire and The Sopranos!).

It starts slowly but, my God, it builds and builds to an incredible crescendo. I started with the first episode and thought it's okay. I didn't think I'd stick with it and I didn't watch the second episode until a week later, but then I slowly got hooked. I didn't binge watch this, because there was so much to digest in each episode, and I'm glad I savoured it.

On many occasions I really disliked the characters, yet I also really liked them all too. I was shouting at the TV so much, and pausing it throughout to have a discussion with my wife about what just happened. Everybody is very flawed and very human. Well-rounded characters and exceptional writing and performances. It'll clean up at the award shows next year.

I watched the first episode a few nights ago and thought it was very slow. Read the book years ago and enjoyed it. You’ve convinced me to go back to it, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Gemancy wrote: »
    I watched the first episode a few nights ago and thought it was very slow. Read the book years ago and enjoyed it. You’ve convinced me to go back to it, thanks!

Yeah I found the first two slow but I actually binged watched the last four!

Artvanderlay articulates it far better than me though !!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Thought it was great (but had already read the book). Watched over 2 nights on Amazon Prime last weekend.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gemancy

Rfrip wrote: »
    Yeah I found the first two slow but I actually binged watched the last four!

Artvanderlay articulates it far better than me though !!!

Just watched another couple of episodes tonight and agree it picks up, glad I went back to it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Watched the opening episode last night and was very impressed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've watched two episodes. I like it. It's a little strange watching this now everything that's happened in the US at the over the past few weeks. Power, race and privilege, it's all there. Not easy on the palette and confrontational for the viewer, I think, but in a good way.

1.03 certainly upped the tension somewhat, including the music towards the end. Could easily be called Raw Wounds Everywhere.

Who cuts the grass whilst wearing a suit? :pac:

1.04 also threw down pretty hard. Calling someone a 'terrible mother' really stings. It shows people pushing from both the inside and out...it's all rather cruel, unpleasant and ugly, but certainly good TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I found it really kicked into gear in the last four episodes. Turned out to be a great series. Your sympathy swayed from one character to the next as the episodes developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭gucci

Just to add my recommendation here, as mentioned above, i was on the fence after first one or two episodes, a few too many stretches in belief for me to make the story work.

However, once you get comfortable with that you realise that there is enough going on of good quality and intrigue to keep you hooked.

The casting was excellent for this, pretty much every character had that like/dislike thing and layered hidden agendas, but they pretty much all delivered an autenticity that makes these sort of shows live or die.

My wife summed it up for me: The show "The Stranger" wanetd to be, but failed miserably. (Well we gave up after 2 or 3 episodes)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭mojesius

I got greedy and devoured this series in 2 days. Cast, music, building tension, everything about it was fantastic.

Great seeing Joshua Jackson in this, I've always been a big fan, thought he was great in The Affair as well.

I'm up to 7. Thought it was eery how much the actor playing the younger Elena captured her mannerisms in episode 6, same as Witherspoon, basically.

I finished this earlier - very good show. These people are so screwed up with their entitled suburban lives. The finale was pretty bananas. Some verbal daggers were delivered (good craic :pac:) - the characters may as well have been hurling kettles of boiling water at each other. Sorry to hear of Lynn Shelton's passing which was not long after the finale. Hulu's most streamed show too.

I do have little bit of issue with one thing about the show overall. It seemed to suffer from the weight of its own:

'Hey, TV viewer over there, yes you. This show is thematic! We've themes, can you see our themes?!', as evident in the finale too, though actually, then it seemed to put the brakes on that feel to it
    after the custody thing and just go full on. Elena in the office getting the confidential records was a bit much and threatening the doctor, really bothered my ethics.

It didn't immediately register with me who she was referring to when she was going around shouting Isabelle because we've mostly known her as Izzy. Tune in next year where she goes back to school with a new t-shirt: Accelerant Girl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Enjoyable show with similar whodunnit format to Big Little Lies but with clever
    Murder on the Orient Express-style
    ending. As noted before, it picks it up a level towards the end. Great cast, though Kerry Washington's snarl was a bit grating, and Joshua Jackson was boring. Nice mirroring dynamics involving the mother and daughter relationships (with Elena/Izzy).

• Registered Users Posts: 84,332 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm up to 7. Thought it was eery how much the actor playing the younger Elena captured her mannerisms in episode 6, same as Witherspoon, basically.

Luke Bracey played the same character older and younger

Advertisement