Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Love the book but ...

Options
  • 08-08-2011 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

Never got into the tv-series at all. Thought it was just not great compared to the books, though I am aware of course that the books came after. Anyone else feel similar?

Also its class there is a forum for this, never knew!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Loved the tv series, but the books are just a different thing altogether - if you forget the comedy they are a brilliant bit of Sci Fi

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i love the tv series, really really love it but I'd have to agree the books are better. the better than life stuff and the backwards universe sections of the books were incredible, fleshed out far better than the tv show ever could.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭steve_r

i love the tv series, really really love it but I'd have to agree the books are better. the better than life stuff and the backwards universe sections of the books were incredible, fleshed out far better than the tv show ever could.

I've never read the books but will add them to the list now.

TBH I always (looks like wrongly) assumed that they would just be transcripts of episodes.

I've seen all RD, so should I just start from the start with the books or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

No the books are way more fleshed out & are indeed hillarious....even more so because we know the characters so well from the tv show...really recommend them :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

Myrddin wrote: »
    No the books are way more fleshed out & are indeed hillarious....even more so because we know the characters so well from the tv show...really recommend them :)

^^ this, the part in the book where Kryten comes into it is very close to the actual episode but somehow it is so much funnier when you are reading it because you are visualizing them too. I was on a bus when I read that part and no mess people must have thought I was a looper because I was literally in tears pissing myself laughing at the front of the bus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I did not know there were books!!

I've never really got into the show, would I be able to dip into the books without having watched the show. I wouldn't mind reading some more sci-fi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I did not know there were books!!

I've never really got into the show, would I be able to dip into the books without having watched the show. I wouldn't mind reading some more sci-fi

The books will make you want to watch the show, whereas having watched the show makes the books even better. It's win win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Like ^^^^^ a lot of those people^^^^^, I didn't realise there were books. I watched the first 5 or so series back in the day on Network 2, and loved it. I'll have to give the books a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭victor8600

I have just ordered the first two books. Why haven't I discovered this forum 9 years ago?

Advertisement