Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

January wrote: »
    We have two mammies of Saoirse's that we know of here :) Myself and another poster, they were born a month apart I think!

I'm the other Saoirse Mammy :D

Yeah my Saoirse is Jan... yours is Feb right?

LordSutch wrote: »
    There's been quite a lot about the name Saoirse in the forum, it seems to be a very popular name amongst a few of the regulars here, so out of curiosity I Wikkied the name & its meaning > http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_Saoirse_mean

Interesting pronunciation, I always thought its was Saar-sha, but its actually Seer-sha. I wonder is Sorcha the male form?

Saoirse is a unisex name but its used more commonly used as female. Both those pronunciations are right :) I use Seer-sha.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    It is currently one of the most common baby girls names in Ireland.

All our kids will have irish names too,we have a Dearbhail and a Caoimhe, Caoimhe nearly got ruled out because there seemed to be a surge in usage of the name a few years ago but it doesn't seem to be too common and we love the name:)

Rach, I totally started a trend :D Since my lady was born there seems to be a surge haha.

I love your choice of Irish names. Are you going to share what Irish boys names you had picked, I'm curious.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

haha:)
    It is a lovely name.

Caolán for a boy.
    Cormac,Oisin and Cillian are our other favourites.
    He hates Cillian and there are already enough Cormacs and Oisin is gone due to it being really popular at the moment.

Saoirse is historically both a male and female name.
    Seoirse is the irish for George.
    Sorcha is a girls name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

I was at a mass recently where one of the Monks name was 'Carthage'. Coolest name I ever heard

• Advertisement

It is a lovely name.

Caolán for a boy.
    He hates Cillian and there are already enough Cormacs and Oisin is gone due to it being really popular at the moment.

Sorcha is a girls name.

Love those boys names not too fond of cormac but love the rest.

Yeah Oisin is so popular lately, I know of 3 babies called Oisin born in the last few months.

I really like the name Diarmuid not used so much really, although people never quite get the pronunciation right.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think my next childs name will have to begin with B to keep with the naming scheme;)
    I love Aodhán too but really can't go with their surname.(I updated facebook so you can see why)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

^^^^Bagpuss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

lolli wrote: »
    Saoirse is a unisex name but its used more commonly used as female. Both those pronunciations are right :) I use Seer-sha.

I use Seer-sha here too (or Seer-she or Seer-she-were-she :p ), some people pronounce it Sore-sha though :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I use Seer-sha here too (or Seer-she or Seer-she-were-she :p ), some people pronounce it Sore-sha though :eek:
    I would have thought that was a different name as in Sorcha?

• Advertisement

I was reminded again at the weekend that i basically have no choice in names in 9/10 weeks time.
    My partner knows i'll be a blubbering idiot once the baby is born and i'd probably agree to any name she wants:)

I really hope she doesn't chose Ramone

It drives me mad when people call her Sur-sha ARGH!!!

Every morning when Saoirse wakes up the first thing she says is Hi Seer-sheee :P Its so cute! So she has decided herself what she likes.

My Sisters name is Naoise (Nee-sha) and Saoirse calls her Nee-sheeee :)

amiable wrote: »
    I would have thought that was a different name as in Sorcha?

Me too, but some certain family members keep using it :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

lolli wrote: »
    It drives me mad when people call her Sur-sha ARGH!!!

Every morning when Saoirse wakes up the first thing she says is Hi Seer-sheee :P Its so cute! So she has decided herself what she likes.

My Sisters name is Naoise (Nee-sha) and Saoirse calls her Nee-sheeee :)

Ah that is so cute. I already know the people who are going to pronunce her name wrong. I think people do it delibirately to annoy folk..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

It is a lovely name.

Caolán for a boy.

Sorcha is a girls name.

I love Caolán, Oisín and Cillian, but close friends of ours have kids with those names already. Saoirse is far too popular nowadays as is Aoibhe (my niece is called Ava anyway, so that's out.) Like Sorcha and Odhran, but I've cousins called those names. Also love Caoilfhionn, Naoise, Síofra, but my o/h isn't keen on most irish names, so all were veto'd.

Thankfully we've agreed on 2 names from pretty much day 1, so once the names suit the baby we won't have a problem. No idea for middle names though, as other than the 2 we've picked, we clashed on pretty much every other name.

Caoilfhionn was my partners 1st choice of name for Caoimhe:)
    I can't think of Naoise as a girls name at all.
    Ciara and Maebhdh are the girls middles names,and their god mothers names.
    I love Siofra,he hates it!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

chantel or stefan!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 music crazy

anna , jack or ollie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Caoilfhionn was my partners 1st choice of name for Caoimhe:)
    I can't think of Naoise as a girls name at all.
    Ciara and Maebhdh are the girls middles names,and their god mothers names.
    I love Siofra,he hates it!

I love Siofra too... It was nearly my name, but my mam and dad built their house first, and called the house Siofra! :rolleyes:
    I seem to like a lot of the "S" irish girls names!! :D

I really wish himself would relent to Charlie for a boy! :o
    We're both still liking Rory- though anyone we've told we're thinking of it for a name has had no qualms about saying they don't like it... and then have the cheek to get insulted when we tell them we don't care if they don't like it!!! :mad:

I like Ruairi for a boy too.
    People can have their opinions about names but it is your child and they have to live with it so unless your name is crazy ignore them:)

• Advertisement

My 8 year old sister is called Naoise. I love that name so much! I know its orginally a boys name, but it suits her so well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I love the name Naoise but I remember somebody said its the Irish of Louise which is my name.

I hate when people pronounce names wrong if another person says Alicia instead of Elisha, i will scream. I don't mind correcting once but when you keep having to say No it ELisha ELisha

bulmersgal wrote: »
    I love the name Naoise but I remember somebody said its the Irish of Louise which is my name.

I hate when people pronounce names wrong if another person says Alicia instead of Elisha, i will scream. I don't mind correcting once but when you keep having to say No it ELisha ELisha

You are almost right, the Irish for Louise is Laoise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Hi

Cheers for the name suggestions, we cant use any of the Irish names. The Aussies make utter horse crap out of any irish name.

My family has a bit of a tradition intentionally of 4 letter names which the wife hates.

So Far its down to these

Boy
    Leon <- My fav
    Jack
    Dylan
    Natasha - . sadly the cats name is Tasha

Girl
    Sofia
    India < - my fav
    Lexie
    Benjamin
    Sebastian

Zambia wrote: »
    Hi

Cheers for the name suggestions, we cant use any of the Irish names. The Aussies make utter horse crap out of any irish name.

My family has a bit of a tradition intentionally of 4 letter names which the wife hates.

So Far its down to these

Boy
    Leon <- My fav
    Jack
    Dylan
    Natasha - . sadly the cats name is Tasha

Girl
    Sofia
    India < - my fav
    Lexie
    Benjamin
    Sebastian

Natasha for a boy and Benjamin and Sebastian for a girl??? Please tell me you got mixed up??

I know a little girl named Indie-Rose and one name Jorja (yes... Georgia but they spelled it Jorja...)

I know a little girl named Indie-Rose and one name Jorja (yes... Georgia but they spelled it Jorja...)
    jorja-fox-2.jpg

Jorja Fox from C.S.I.

Yes mixed them up. My bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

anna , jack or ollie

I love Anna, and Oliver has recently gone on our list! It's one of husband's middle names and as I refused to name our son after him, I'm thinking I might be swayed this time round if it's another boy. I'm still not giving in on naming a baby after my husband's first name though, I think there needs to be a generation between names, ie naming after grandparents etc is fine, but after mam/dad/aunts/uncles is not. Just my thing, plenty of people do it and grand for them.

I would agree, they just get saddled with [name] Jnr.
    But I am sure thats no great hinderance.

• Advertisement

Zambia wrote: »
    I would agree, they just get saddled with [name] Jnr.
    But I am sure thats no great hinderance.

I'm named after my aunt and get known as "Little name" in the family... I actually worked with her once and because we had the same name (and it's not a very common one either) we decided I'd go by a different name!

Advertisement