Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to live in Ireland

Options
  • 02-04-2020 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi all,

Don't know whether this has been covered before but where would be a good place to move to (rent or buy). Following considerations...

I will be working in Dublin city centre and would like option of bicycle but not a crazy long commute (45 minutes maximum).

I don't want to be in an area that is really rough.

Decent speed broadband a must.

Supermarkets close by and a pub/restaurant or two

Scope for raising a family in next few years (good schools etc.)

Have family living around Dublin still.

Gym and sports club options.

I like areas where amenities are close together.

Would consider other counties but have never moved outside of Dublin in my life so alien to me.

Non crazy rent/purchasing price.

Any suggestions... Thanks for reading and contributing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Forget where to live in Ireland. 45 minute cycle to city centre at best gives you Dublin, tiny parts of Meath, Kildare and Wicklow. Not crazy prices rules out almost all of the above, especially if you add in somewhere you'd want to raise a family.

We need a lot more information to advise on your needle in a haystack search. Start with budgets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Donegal, if you cycle fast

If you've lived in Dublin all your life I'm not sure what information you're looking for OP?

A lot of the things you've listed as requirements are very subjective - could you give a few specifics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Where to live in Ireland? Wants to live and work in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Dublin 15. 35 bike ride to the city centre. And property prices are still low compared to the ret of dublin. Plus there is the launch centre everything there you could want, national equatics center also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭phantasmagoria

Caranica wrote: »
    Forget where to live in Ireland. 45 minute cycle to city centre at best gives you Dublin, tiny parts of Meath, Kildare and Wicklow. Not crazy prices rules out almost all of the above, especially if you add in somewhere you'd want to raise a family.

We need a lot more information to advise on your needle in a haystack search. Start with budgets.

Budget rent €1500 pm/buying 380k

Probably have option of relocating as civil servant

If you've lived in Dublin all your life I'm not sure what information you're looking for OP?

A lot of the things you've listed as requirements are very subjective - could you give a few specifics?

Have lived in Phibsborough and Fairview....now finding myself priced out.

Donegal, if you cycle fast

Nice when weather is good. Pure Misery when it's not.

Dublin 15. 35 bike ride to the city centre. And property prices are still low compared to the ret of dublin. Plus there is the launch centre everything there you could want, national equatics center also.

Do you mean blanch centre?

Where to live in Ireland? Wants to live and work in Dublin

Working is possibly flexible. At the moment job is in Dublin but that may change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Budget rent €1500 pm/buying 380k

Probably have option of relocating as civil servant

380k would get you firhouse and ballycullen, right beside m50 and has good cycle route into city centre within 45 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Parts of Artane, or parts of Rahney, parts of the Navan Road, Beaumont.

The OP is coming across as wanting the facilities and ambiance of Glasnevin, Drumcondra and the like without the price tag that goes with it.

mariaalice wrote: »

The OP is coming across as wanting the facilities and ambiance of Glasnevin, Drumcondra and the like without the price tag that goes with it.

And what's wrong with that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Nothing at all but its a bit of a stretch for property under 380k for a 3bed pluse most likely anything in a mature Dublin suburb is going to need a lot of money spent on it.

Terenure maybe.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/13-whitehall-park-terenure-dublin-12/4417197

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

KilOit wrote: »
    380k would get you firhouse and ballycullen, right beside m50 and has good cycle route into city centre within 45 mins

What's Ballycullen like? I know Firhouse is nice, but have seen some houses in Ballycullen but don't know the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

mariaalice wrote: »
    Nothing at all but its a bit of a stretch for property under 380k for a 3bed pluse most likely anything in a mature Dublin suburb is going to need a lot of money spent on it.

Terenure maybe.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/13-whitehall-park-terenure-dublin-12/4417197

Terenure, Dublin 12 always give me a giggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 KaiserSochez

Achasanai wrote: »
    What's Ballycullen like? I know Firhouse is nice, but have seen some houses in Ballycullen but don't know the area.

Ballycullen is a nice spot also....lots of newer stuff gone up there over the past 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Yes nice but the people!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Achasanai wrote: »

I love it but i'm bias since i live there.
    Modern houses that still have gardens and more than 1 bathroom with majority with en suites, very quiet and settled with a young vibe to it, families with young children. it has one of the best bus routes with the 15 leaving from it and passes through Rathgar, rathmines if you want to go for a meal or drink without going all the way to city center. Lived on the red luas line before and this bus route is far far better than that god forsaken tram.
    Traffic is an issue in the morning if you leave at 8 and only going to get worse with more developments nearing completion at whitepines.
    Traveller site in Ballycullen with constant rubbish being thrown on the street and dogs wandering around, even when the community get together to clean the place up these lot destroy it in days, absoulut louts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Will be checking out Ballycullen so! Well, when all this Covid stuff passes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement