Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Absolutely livid with my landlord

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Xcellor wrote: »
    If this is an april fools you're late by a day.

Well technically the Op sent the email yesterday, on April 1st. So ya never know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Jaysus - calm down everyone. OP is feeling a bit of stress, a lot of people are - but @OP - LL might be going through the same stress as well...

Don't read too much or too little into anyone's replies at the moment as we are all a bit over the place..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Pinkpotato wrote: »
    I'm a Sinn Fein voter.

OP, Pay your rent.
    Swallow your pride and Go and get yourself onto rent supplement.
    The house is your LLs income.

Lots of people have lost or severely reduced income. Why should LLs be different? If it's a Buy to Let and a mortgage on it, relief is available.

Hard to have sympathy with LLs who expect tenants to pay their mortgages and fund their nice fat property asset.. just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,886 ✭✭✭✭Stark

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Lots of people have lost or severely reduced income. Why should LLs be different? If it's a Buy to Let and a mortgage on it, relief is available.

Hard to have sympathy with LLs who expect tenants to pay their mortgages and fund their nice fat property asset.. just saying.

You forgot to call him a "bootlicker". :rolleyes:

I've had some ****ty landlords over the years but current one is perfectly nice. Guy who bought his family home at a bad time just before the last crash, had to upgrade to a bigger house due to growing family and was unable to sell his previous place due to negative equity and is renting to us as a result. He's looked after us well in the time we've been there and I wouldn't dream of deciding not to pay him rent just because we can. He's not some potbelly pig wearing a top-hat or whatever picture the party likes to paint for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭nedkelly123

what if the LL has a mortgage to pay , Property insurance,Tax ,PRTB,LLTP,Management free .. My Father in law is a LL and his business has collapsed due to all this he went into the Social welfare and they told him he is not eligable for any payment as he as assets .. the Rent barely covers the morgage.. so he shouls stop paying his mortage and live off the rent ?

you do know the bank are only going to kick his payments down the road
    will the tenanats go into arrears with a payment break or will they just not owe the LL the Rent holiday money ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hard to have sympathy for entitled tenants who want to live rent free, but refuse to contact the Social Welfare.

Sounds like they think they're too good to claim the dole, and too good to have to pay rent to stay in their house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Why not pay your rent out of the thousands your parents gifted you?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112308553

"There’s 3 sides to a story, your side, their side and the truth!" - The words of the OP :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Seoda1

kenmm wrote: »
    Jaysus - calm down everyone. OP is feeling a bit of stress, a lot of people are - but @OP - LL might be going through the same stress as well...

Don't read too much or too little into anyone's replies at the moment as we are all a bit over the place..

Thank you Kenmm

The LL has about 5 houses ,.. but I didn’t say that and no one knew that.

All I was hoping was lee way with May if restrictions continue, that’s all. I said I would catch up with my expectations.

Be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Seoda1 wrote: »
    A rant more than anything but I’m absolutely livid.

Yesterday I emailed my landlord of three years, always paid rent on time, good tenant blah blah blah

I said, I have your rent here which is payable next Monday but because of restrictions, I can’t get to the bank.

And re Mays rent, if these restrictions stay in place for the month of April, which I think it will, then I’m not going to have money for you.

I wanted to be fair to him and give him plenty of notice. I suggested a rent break and asked for his blessing during this pandemic and stressful times.

Now, this guy is tight, if he’s not from Cavan, he should be.

He swiftly emailed be back, no “I hope you are ok” in these times. He said if it’s ok he would call around today to collect rent and suggested that I contact the social welfare office for rent support.

This is where I am livid. We are in a crisis right now, there’s a pandemic going on. I am worried about my elderly parents and parents in law, aunts, uncles and my own family, keeping safe and encouraging my son who is in sixth year to keep studying for his leaving cert whenever that will be, if it’s to be. I’m NOT contacting the social welfare office.

I didn’t reply to his email, if he came to my door, I would have told him to go away and come back next week as it is not due then ... I’m fuming.

What was I expecting? I thought he might say .., pay what you can in May and we’ll catch up later on in the year ... or I’ve got a mortgage holiday so just pay me the interest or be a human being.

Genuinely, his email to me has stressed me out more than the whole of the last few weeks put together.

God I needed to rant

How would you reply to him?

Did you already burn through the 50k inheritance money ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

I get the feeling that when you fill in your Rent Allowance forms that you will fill them incorrectly and it will be the forms fault.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Thank you Kenmm

All I was hoping was lee way with May if restrictions continue, that’s all. I said I would catch up with my expectations.

Be safe

You also left out your €50K inheritance? It’s more relevant than the number of properties the landlord has.

Why won’t you avail of the state supports before asking the landlord to subsidise you? If you had been refused social welfare and then the landlord refused to help most people would think you right to be pissed off. But as it is you’re coming across as a chancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Speak Now wrote: »
    "There’s 3 sides to a story, your side, their side and the truth!" - The words of the OP :D

Excellent detective work. Seoda1 will have to do better to hide that from Revenue and Social Welfare when playing the poir mouth

You also left out your €50K inheritance? It’s more relevant than the number of properties the landlord has.

Why won’t you avail of the state supports before asking the landlord to subsidise you? If you had been refused social welfare and then the landlord refused to help most people would think you right to be pissed off. But as it is you’re coming across as a chancer.

Not entirely true...OP said that they have maxed out their inheritance threshold from parents which is €335,000

Plus another €48,000 under the gift threshold over 8 years.

Totalling €383,000

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I had an acquaintance of mine (wouldn't call him a mate) on Facebook looking for advice as to how to force his landlord in to giving a rent holiday - the same lad who is working a load of overtime as an essential worker in this crisis. So it shows how there is a cohort of people out there who think like the OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

This thread is hilarious - a bunch of ye all like Jessica Fletcher running about looking for snippets of information.. Jesus wept - its only 3 weeks in as well..! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

gabe1977 wrote: »
    Seems to be a lot of people out there who think they can use the current situation to dodge their financial responsibilities.
    Have you actually fallen on financial hardship due to the current restrictions OP or are you just chancing your arm.
    It's hardly fair to refuse to contact social welfare for help but expect help from your landlord instead.
    To think you can just contact the landlord and say "you won't be getting your rent" is brass neck to put it mildly.

I’ve spent the morning answering the phone to queries about the corona crisis.
    Today for the first day I notice a slew of people who are determined to use the crisis to their own advantage.
    I’m going to get rid of this employee I can’t stand because of the crisis.
    I’m going to screw my boss over hiding behind the virus.
    I’m going to stop my ex from seeing our kids hiding behind the virus.
    I’m going to not bother paying my rent or any bills hiding behind the virus.
    I’m going to get rid of my tenant hiding behind the virus.
    I’m not going to bother taxing insuring or NCTing my car nor will I renew my drivers licence hiding behind the crisis.
    I can drive however I want.

splinter65 wrote: »
    I’m not going to bother taxing insuring or NCTing my car nor will I renew my drivers licence hiding behind the crisis.

Guilty :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Fairly self entitled post there.
    Go to social welfare like everyone else has to do, you dont get special treatment. We all have family to worry about too btw.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Honestly, what has the LL's number of properties got to do with anything?
    Your landlord has done nothing wrong and you come on here all pissed off and now try and imply that because he is trying to run a business that there's something wrong with that?
    You seem like an absolutely horrible self-entitled person. You should take a long hard look in the mirror and decide if you really like what you see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭munster87

Thank you Kenmm

Be safe

The more houses a landlord owes, the less reason there is to pay rent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,886 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Clearly the landlord should just give you one of his houses since he has so many to spare :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Thread has provided some humour on a dull day. Can people will be happy with the way it has turned out

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Plebian

Thank you Kenmm

Be safe

The replies are a disgrace here. A landlord like that's position means his communication was certainly off.

Regardless, landlordism is, at it's base, a morally unjust economic position. If anyone is evicted in the current climate, the community should respond in kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Plebian wrote: »
    The replies are a disgrace here. A landlord like that's position means his communication was certainly off.

Regardless, landlordism is, at it's base, a morally unjust economic position. If anyone is evicted in the current climate, the community should respond in kind.

What does this mean?

The LL communicated that he would call round to pick up rent to save the op having to leave home. The op goes to a bank to lodge it normally, considering he/she was able to post on boards, he/she has the capacity to use online platforms, why he/she can’t transfer it electronically is a mystery.

The op has not said he/she doesn’t have the capacity to pay, if some of the ops posts on other threads are to be believed, paying shouldn’t be an issue.

By respond in kind, you mean LL takes a hit even though the tenant can pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Dav010 wrote: »
    What does this mean?

The op has not said he/she doesn’t have the capacity to pay, if some of the ops posts on other threads are to be believed, paying shouldn’t be an issue.

The o/p says he won't be able to pay next month. He is also saying he won't claim social welfare.

The o/p says he won't be able to pay next month. He is also saying he won't claim social welfare.

If the restrictions stay in place, I may be wrong but I took that as in, he/she won’t be able to physically go to the bank rather than not having the money. It would be a strange turn of events, to not have the money to pay when considering ops other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Thank you Kenmm

Be safe

But why should the landlord wait when you said you have the money? you can just transfer it as other people have already mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If you don't want people to rent by what system will they get housed to replace the rental system?

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    lol

Do you think Plebian is saying there should be no landlords, there position is unjust? If he/she is, where would the hundreds of thousands of tenants live? Maybe he/she thinks you have to buy a property the day you leave your parents house, it’s a head scratcher.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement