Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anti Social Behaviour from Neighbours

Options
  • 01-04-2020 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for guidance a an recent issue in the neighbourhood that I live in. I have a terraced house that I own and live in which is based close to city centre. There only approximately 15 houses on the terrace and in general as a group all us neighbours get on great and support each other as needed.

In recent weeks a local charity group purchased a house a few doors down from mine. I have to admit this charity group do some fantastic work in the local community. However in this instance they have moved a family I think of 4 people in to the house that they recently purchased. I wont beat around the bush here but yes the family in question are of a ethnic minority group background.

Majority of the other neighbours living on the street are elderly couples who families have been there for generations and have huge historical connections to the area and their houses. However since this new family have moved in approximately a month ago to the house there has been alot of anti-social behaviour.

For example just last week alone the guards were called up to the house two nights from what i gather was anti-social behaviour and domestic dispute. The guards left the scene both times after a few minutes and I assume giving a verbal caution but i subsequently witnessed myself other further behaviour of drunken disorderly in front of house, numerous people coming and going in to the house and quite frankly making alot of noise which was very audible from my bed room window that is located a good few houses away. Also on a different night they partook in a bonfire in the back of house which included singing and playing of loud music until 5am!!!! I may also add that all back gardens are beside each other and most houses have a back shed so if the bonfire had lost control the damage it potentially could have done is significant beyond explanation.

Since last week I have kept a diary myself of the dates and times the Guards were called to the house and I also took picture and video evidence of the aforementioned bonfire.

The family in question have also since been intimidating some of the other elderly residents on the street trying to find out who called the guards. These elderly residents are already living in stressful Covid circumstances and living in fear of what could come their way from this family causing trouble.

I just want peoples opinion as to what or if anything can be done here? Surely the charity group that own the house have an obligation to ensure their tenants respect their house and its surroundings. Should i contact them and raise concerns there or would I best to go to local council? I would be willing to get solicitor involved if was told best avenue to proceed. This has impacted myself and all neighbours at night time specifically and also I cant imagine would not do wonders to the fiscal value of our houses if this carry on was to remain permanent.

Before people accuse of being prejudice etc........that is not the case. I would have absolutely no issue with the family in question as long as they stayed to themselves and respected all other neighbours. The intimidation towards others on the street is disgraceful. As far I am concerned it is irrelevant as to who who called the guards because quite frankly there should have been no incident happening that warranted a call the guards in the first place if the behaved accordingly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

There is a fairly high chance that the housing charity just moved them from one house to another house in response to repeated complaints and issues with their previous neighbors.

They can’t be evicted, so they just move them and they make the next set of neighbors lives misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

There is a fairly high chance that the housing charity just moved them from one house to another house in response to repeated complaints and issues with their previous neighbors.

They can’t be evicted, so they just move them and they make the next set of neighbors lives misery.

You may be right that the family have been moved here from a previous house but I would have the feeling as one the family members is a young pregnant female then perhaps this is their first house through this charity.

Surely O would have thought there is onus on the charity group as house owners and in effect landlords to ensure that no such is behaviour is accepted. One the other neighbour residents told me that he believes the charity in question have already been notified of ongoing issues and made a unplanned visit to the house but I do not know for sure if this is in fact the case or not.

I honestly would have no issues if the family carried out their business as they liked once their behaviour did not have a negative impact on the rest of us. But being honest and without being in an intentionally insulting manner.....but the family in question does not take to obedience well and will continue to cause hassle for rest of community no matter how many warnings they are given whether that be from Gardai, Local Council or the Charity group.

I am being realistic to know that the only way this issue can be resolved is to get the charity group to acknowledge the level of disturbances they are now causing to what is otherwise a fabulous community

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You have to call and log each call to the gardai, date, times and details of the disturbance.
    Also at the same time, emailing or calling or writing to the charity involved.

You have to keep on at them in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Gumbo wrote: »
    You have to call and log each call to the gardai, date, times and details of the disturbance.
    Also at the same time, emailing or calling or writing to the charity involved.

You have to keep on at them in my opinion.

100% agree with this, constant emails to both followed up by calls.
    If any of your neighbours agree, i'd get them to do similar aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The charity purchased one house?. Why have you not gone to the charity they will have a tenant liaison officer.

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »
    The charity purchased one house?. Why have you not gone to the charity they will have a tenant liaison officer.

Within the past few years the charity have actually purchased multiple houses in the area and have no way of definitively knowing how many exactly I believe in well exceeds 30 houses. No I have not contacted the tenant liaison officer oft the charity because I have thankfully never been in this scenario before so wanted to seek advice(hence posting here) before carrying out any actions at all.......... as I want to ensure i take the best applicable approach that can hopefully bring an abrupt end to this.

It was not myself that called the gardai in previous instances last week but i recorded a date and time of the incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Moral of the story here is that integration does not work and should not be forced upon us. 100% private estates and 100% taxpayer funded estates. Nothing in between.

Moral of the story here is that integration does not work and should not be forced upon us. 100% private estates and 100% taxpayer funded estates. Nothing in between.

To be fair, it does seem to work. Sh/thole estates like the ones that are nationally known for anti social behaviour seem to be generally decreasing. Name an estate built in the last 15 years with a reputation like Moneymore in Drogheda or Darndale in Dublin, etc.

The issue with integration, over and over again, seems more to do with travellers, than anything else. A lot of them (not all, in fairness, but a sizeable amount) just can not seem to grasp the concept of personal responsibility or the basic understanding of civilized society.

Which is what leads to issues like this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Put pressure on this charity with constant calls to the charity whenever there is a problem.
    They wont like bad publicity because it will hit donations and their ability too place families in other estates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

... Name an estate built in the last 15 years with a reputation like .....

More like you no longer hear because it's censored via political correctness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Talk to Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 38 OnYerPike

First, tell the charity you're going to talk to Joe!!!

beauf wrote: »
    More like you no longer hear because it's censored via political correctness.

I don't believe that's the case, in fairness. It's not uncommon to hear of anti social behaviour flaring up, but it just tends to be the same places over and over again.

I'm sure there are mild levels of it in every estate, but rarely do you get the severe issues that plagued many of the 100% council estates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

We are lot better off these days, in general. Which tends to make people more content.

Also these issues were common in some areas and rare in others. Now are a lot more common everywhere. We've also got much better transport links. You are no longer immune in ballymiddleofnowhere.

You do hear of the same places often new estates in incidents. Shootings etc. They just don't appear in main stream media any more. You might see it in local papers or Facebook groups. But usually quickly removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

To be fair, it does seem to work. Sh/thole estates like the ones that are nationally known for anti social behaviour seem to be generally decreasing. Name an estate built in the last 15 years with a reputation like Moneymore in Drogheda or Darndale in Dublin, etc.

The issue with integration, over and over again, seems more to do with travellers, than anything else. A lot of them (not all, in fairness, but a sizeable amount) just can not seem to grasp the concept of personal responsibility or the basic understanding of civilized society.

Which is what leads to issues like this post.

the problem with your timeline is its only beginning now, its only when most of the kids become teens that the real issue kicks off, it works In cycles , the estates are fine for the first 10-15 years, become absolute hellholes for another 20 and then calm down when the 'youths' are moved on with their kids to a new estate and only the 50+ year olds remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

This brings back grim memories of our experience with The same type of family (let’s not beat around the bush here) we got lumped beside in our new build. Sold up and left. Sorry to hear you are going through similar - it’s totally unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Spreading the Scum around to private estates is going to create more undesirable areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

This is where I think you are wrong, these issues take time to fester and become problem areas.
    A family can move in and cause massive distress over night, but only to neighbours.
    For places known historically, Darndale, Ballymun etc., it takes time for the kids to grow into teenagers, then there is a 20 year trouble period, then those kids start having families of their own but can't get / afford a house in that area, the area's inhabitants get old and the place quietens down. And the problems spring up elsewhere. I've seen this up and down the country.

Basically what Eric said above, just read his comment now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Spreading the Scum around to private estates is going to create more undesirable areas.

That's the problem isn't it. Why should hard working families be put next to scumbags? But if you put them out they'll be given a platform in the papers and on tv where they can sing the 'me bleedin kids are homeless, where's me home?' theme song. And lets me honest, wherever they end up in 'their' house, it ain't gonna be beside a broadcaster or politicians house.

This brings back grim memories of our experience with The same type of family (let’s not beat around the bush here) we got lumped beside in our new build. Sold up and left. Sorry to hear you are going through similar - it’s totally unfair.

I am the sole owner and have invested too much effort and money that selling up really would be a last resort. I am fortunate in the sense that their house is a good few doors down from mine but doesnt stop some of their behaviour causing disturbances to me.

I think I will wait for next instance to occur(which will inevitably happen) and if needs be will ring the guards myself and will then follow up accordingly with the manager of the charity group.

Not sure of what approach to take with charity group.....do i threaten them with solicitors letter(route I am prepared to go), negative review on social media page, tell them I am considering contact Joe Duffy show or....do I just tell them of all recent incidents that I have a log of and that i expect to follow up accordingly as it is their responsibility. I would imagine that if incidents kept repeating and me needing to call charity group got repetitive that they they might they the action of moving the family

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

It can and should work, the missing ingredient is turfing out people who can't or won't act in a socially responsible manner.
    There are plenty of people who, given a house by the government can and will act in a normal manner.
    Those people dont deserve to be stuck in a ghetto with arseholes like the OPs neighbour any more than the OP does.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭kg703

Noddy33 wrote: »
    I am the sole owner and have invested too much effort and money that selling up really would be a last resort. I am fortunate in the sense that their house is a good few doors down from mine but doesnt stop some of their behaviour causing disturbances to me.

I think I will wait for next instance to occur(which will inevitably happen) and if needs be will ring the guards myself and will then follow up accordingly with the manager of the charity group.

Not sure of what approach to take with charity group.....do i threaten them with solicitors letter(route I am prepared to go), negative review on social media page, tell them I am considering contact Joe Duffy show or....do I just tell them of all recent incidents that I have a log of and that i expect to follow up accordingly as it is their responsibility. I would imagine that if incidents kept repeating and me needing to call charity group got repetitive that they they might they the action of moving the family

Send them and the Guards the list of all incidents so far, explain your issues and tell them that you will take this further if action is not taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Presumably Joe won't touch this with a barge pole given RTE's portrayal of this group as universal victims. I would have thought that while the logging of events and contacting the Gardai is wise, it's not likely to change anything quickly. I would have thought local councilors and local media would be the way to go. I always get the impression local media are happier to call a spade a spade.

I would be as dogged and determined as you can muster. Nobody else is going to stick up for you and you need to fight this messing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Its far better to approach things in a professional manner, contact the tenant liaison officer of the charity outlining the issues and see what response you get, threatening an organisation with Joe Duffey could make you come across as a crank, by all means, go further if the charity is not taking your concerns seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Talk to the community Garda, they will give good advice. We had tenants move in a few doors down from me that were "known to the Gardai". They had all sorts of dodgy visitors and carry on in the car park. Management company worked with the Gardai and had them out in two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Caranica wrote: »
    Talk to the community Garda, they will give good advice. We had tenants move in a few doors down from me that were "known to the Gardai". They had all sorts of dodgy visitors and carry on in the car park. Management company worked with the Gardai and had them out in two months.

They were probably moved to the OPs estate!

The landlords staff are the right starting point.

I very much doubt Joe will touch it: if the charity is the McVerry Trust or similar, public sympathy will be with them.

With the emergency legislation you’re going to have to grin and bear it.

I think I read a few years back in a link here that residents took a landlord to court due to the anti social behavior of their tenant. They won too. So, I’d suggest all neighbours calling guards any time there’s an issue that warrants it. And all neighbours telephone and write to the charity constantly too.

Does Part IV get put on hold whilst the emergency legislation is in place? In the first 6 months issues like the OPs could be solved but if you can’t issue eviction right now, do you have to conform to part IV once the crisis is over?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I would say you neighbourhood is right s&&thole alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Clashmore

Log all incidents, keep reporting to Gardaí if incidents get out of hand. Also keep reporting to housing association.
    You can also report to PRTB as a third party and take a case against the landlord/housing association.
    We had to take our neighbours landlord to PRTB a few years ago as a result of similar behaviour. In the end they were evicted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Integration does work. My family and i live in a half social half affordable private estate and we've never had a moments trouble. You do realize people in social housing are tax payers also right?

Advertisement