Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Someone suggested that it is also being broadcast on us television too. I don't know if that's correct but if it is that could have something to do with it.
    yes well amc are showing it in the usa.but i dont see why netflix bought it.if the only get to show it weekly too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

massy086 wrote: »
    yes well amc are showing it in the usa.but i dont see why netflix bought it.if the only get to show it weekly too

I sort of prefer it weekly, it gives me something to look forward to. Whereas house of cards will be binge watched as soon as it is available, I'll have all the goodies in that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

So anyone outside the us or who doesn't have AMC can watch it. It's a joint venture

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Unearthly

It's a huge coup for Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Someone suggested that it is also being broadcast on us television too. I don't know if that's correct but if it is that could have something to do with it.

It's true. In the US it's on the same network that ran Breaking Bad. There's no way that AMC would allow Netflix to air all the episodes months before they're finished airing on television. They'd be killing their own ratings.

If Netflix wanted to air all the episodes at once, their only option would be to wait months until the final episode on AMC, by which point it would no longer be new and many people would have already seen it elsewhere. Netflix opted to air the episodes as soon as it possibly could rather than sitting on them, which means once per week to match the AMC schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Hmm thats strange.is this a new thing or am i missing something.as house of cards and other shows u get the whole season

It'd be strange if it was that survey out on bingewatching on netflix, but that'd be more conspiracy :D

But like it this way of waiting weekly, although i dont have netflix, but the only place to watch BB is netflix if people want to watch it & afaik TG4 are the only (European) station to have shown it, as UK wouldn't show it

Liked the first ep, the introduction of Mike & hopefully more to come from James L McGill.

It seems a lot of people liked it in the US as well:

Better Call Saul’ premiere scores highest debut ratings in cable history

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I prefer the weekly episode too.

Pretty impressed with it tonight too... Everyone said it was great and it really was.. Can't wait for tomorrow and next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

So anyone outside the us or who doesn't have AMC can watch it. It's a joint venture

It's an example of TV networks embracing tech rather than going after pirates. They know it'll be watched the day after it's aired in the US so provide a legitimate way to watch it. New model that hopefully all networks will employ - you listening Sony?

Excellent start. Not a wham bam thank you mam show to meet hype - stylistically BB. This is going to be a keeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Hmm thats strange.is this a new thing or am i missing something.as house of cards and other shows u get the whole season

It's exactly what they did with Breaking Bad At the end. They only do it with shows that they get bang up to date.

Also - there's a new episode today is there not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Great to see Tuco and Mike, but I expect it will be more some of the locations that look familiar, The Nail Bar and the Diner were definitely in BB, and wasn’t the White family’s old suburbs the scene of the accident with Saul and the skaters?...

Also, there was a bit of a retro vibe from BB, mostly down to the cinematography and the location in ABQ which is quite dated in parts, its even more apparent in this, quite a late 80’s/early 90’s feel off it at times

As for plot, looks to be more humour with potential for menace, more akin to Fargo than BB perhaps.

They got the reason for his name change in early anyway.

Another episode tonight and then every Monday for another 8 weeks. And Season 2 already given the green light.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

D-FENS wrote: »
    Also, there was a bit of a retro vibe from BB, mostly down to the cinematography and the location in ABQ which is quite dated in parts, it even more apparent in this, quite a late 80’s/early 90’s feel off it at times

Yeah, at one stage I thought there was issues with my internet stream because of the granyness in places.

The other bonus of it being shown weekly, and pretty much simultaneously with America, is that I can now follow these threads.

Ordinarily I'm way behind, or they're full of posts from people sitting up to watch a torrent as soon as an episode finishes in the states, that by the time I get around to the thread interest and discussion is long finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭The Pooka

Loving it so far, anyway! Have been trying to work out the significance of the "space blanket" scene in episode 2 - anyone else think it's representative of Chuck believing Jimmy had (pardon the pun) fallen back on his old "Slippin' Jimmy" ways, meaning the hospital bill would be for himself and so he would have been X-rayed and therefore doubly non-grounded...

It's some pretty genius plotting, if that's indeed what they were going for!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Tuco and Saul's desert negotiation was absolute gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Pilchards

Was going to wait until season was over and binge watch but don't think I can wait. Good to see positive reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Negotiating a death sentence down to 6 months probation gets ambulance chaser noticed. Good solid second episode. He's one more late payment away from calling the number on the matchbox and "getting in the game".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

whats the story with his brother ?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭The Pooka

ricero wrote: »
    whats the story with his brother ?

Seems to be hypersensitivity to electromagnetism - did a bit of Googling and there's some debate as to whether it's a mental ailment akin to a phobia or a physical one...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭squonk

I thought it was his father? Saul isn't that old and Mchael McKeen is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Very good episode. This is setting up to be a excellent show!

• squonk wrote: »
    I thought it was his father? Saul isn't that old and Mchael McKeen is!

I thought it was his father too!

Great show so far

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Not a bad opening episode but I was hoping for a big more bang. Still pretty good and looking forward to next week.
    The visuals were very good, but I really liked the music! Just even the sound at the beginning in the courtroom etc - really helped build suspense.

Remember they are setting this up as a whole new show on its own terms. All the time they have to throw in references for BB veterans. Its a tightrope to travel. So far, so good.
    A BB vet knows Tuco = trouble. Mike is not just a car park attendant. But someone new wouldn't have that advantage.
    We all knew that deep down Saul really didn't want Walt to go truly evil....because perhaps he had seen things. As this show goes on, we may finally get our answers about Gus (he can't not appear).
    We are still a long way away from decapitated heads on exploding turtles being crap to do in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It seems cleverly interwoven so far with Breaking Bad I feel sorry for the writers it must have been a nightmare for them continuity wise.

I especially liked yer one breaking the bread sticks. I did not get that it was referring to the broken legs for a few minutes.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭briany

Very enjoyable so far. I don't mind a series taking a while to build up the premise and characters either, so slow scenes are totally fine. Welcome, in fact, because too many series blow their wad in the first season and then spend the rest of the time trying to find more and more contrived ways to stretch out a thinning premise (see Lost). Slow build is good, but since this is a BB spin-off, the setup needn't be quite so long.

Incidental question, who here has not seen Breaking Bad and are going into this cold? Anyone? Just wondering if there is in case a Breaking Bad spoiler slips out when making a reference to this series and a particular plot point.

briany wrote: »
    Incidental question, who here has not seen Breaking Bad and are going into this cold? Anyone? Just wondering if there is in case a Breaking Bad spoiler slips out when making a reference to this series and a particular plot point.

Have seen BB but am embarking on a marathon rewatch. Poor me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Im about to watch the second episode but some more thoughts that occurred during the first:

The scene of a washed up Saul at the beginning, Im wondering is that post BB era or post Better Call Saul Era and before he meets Walt?

Gilligan is really going all out with the ambition of this one. If it takes place 6 years before BB then Im presuming he's aiming for 6 seasons. Im sure the timespans could be chopped and changed if it only gets 3 or 4 etc.

Im not sure I ever want to see Walt in this, it would take away from the almost perfection of BB unless some very, very special Gilligan magic dust is peppered all over it.

I do think we will definitely see Jesse however. Wasnt he the one of the pair who knew Saul previously?

Without giving out any spoilers that you've read about, that X is definitely appearing etc, what characters in this Saul timeline COULD appear without ruining the BB timeline? As in we already know
    Tuco
    is there because he never met Saul in BB. Who else could they do this with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Good attention to detail in the show with regard to technology - phones, cars etc. That's something that lesser writers might slip up on given that it's only set 6 years before Breaking Bad as opposed to several decades. I'll be keeping an eye out for errors (someone using an ipad in a background/crowd shot etc) but I'd say Vince Gilligan would be on top of things like that.

sugarman wrote: »
    Would have to be after, hes a hell of a lot less hair and appears overall a fair bit older than his first appearance in BB.

I was thinking the same, that it was post BB era.

Ideally Id love to see seasons 1-5 as Saul pre BB era, then in season 5 they let him meet Walt but use the scenes they filmed in BB and have all 6 seasons of BB fly by in a 60 second montage.

Then do the rest of the final Saul season showing us what happens to him post BB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Have to say odenkirk is fantastic in the role. He's a very likeable character is Saul

• Advertisement

Custardpi wrote: »
    Good attention to detail in the show with regard to technology - phones,

I loved how on the ball they were with Saul's phone. This first season is set in 2001 I think?

Advertisement