Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Good time to move back home?

• 26-03-2020 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi guys,

Any feedback appreciated.

Living in a 2 bedroom share in Dublin city centre- room to myself, 2 girls sharing a room, we all use same bathroom toilet.

My room initially got listed for 840, I didn't get it as sub-letter offered it to 2 other girls - when I agreed to pay 120 more she gave it to me to avoid having to get in an extra bed/bigger fridge etc.

Myself and the 2 girls know the subletter is making 250-300 a month from us combined (we're not under contract, lease is solely in sub-letters name, we dont get any contact with landlord, letting agency, maintenance etc, everything has to go through sub letter so as not to obviously blow her cover)

I've looked at similar places in the area (Smithfield- and they're going for 800/850 with own en suite), and here I am paying 960 for a room, which doesnt include bills (awful broadband speeds, expensive electricity plan) and having to share a bathroom with 2 girls, albeit lovely girls, we all get on great.

My folks house is 2 mins up the street, so I could conceivably move back there practically for nothing for a couple of months til all this blows over, not like I'll be needing my own independent living space for a few months either and I'll be working from home 50+ hours a week) - might be a good opportunity to save some cash and be in a decent position to rent again once we all come our of the other side of this?

Deep down, it's the brazenness of the subletter thats grinding my gears, and yes I did agree to pay extra to secure the room, but the fact the subletter hasn't been forthcoming about anything through all of this when shes clearly making a nice little side few quid is what annoys me.

I couldnt do that to someone, so Im tempted to just say, thanks for the stay, but I'm gonna explore other options

What you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Just move out IMHO. If your subletting you're unlikely to have anything 'official' just give 30 days notice and stop paying the rent. Obviously if you've done any damage pay for it but with the propensity for deposits to be held on to I'd be hedging my bets.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you're working from home for 50 hours a week then rent your own place.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Just go.

The official renter was taking the risk and the reward. That extra buffer was to cover something the risk of her being stung or left in an awkward position. Unfortunately it has turned out that way, but that's the risk she took. If she has been pissing away that extra money she was making off you, then that's her own bad decision.

Why not move to your parents for the few months and give them the money (or most if it) instead

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Pay Dirt

Just go.

The official renter was taking the risk and the reward. That extra buffer was to cover something the risk of her being stung or left in an awkward position. Unfortunately it has turned out that way, but that's the risk she took. If she has been pissing away that extra money she was making off you, then that's her own bad decision.

Why not move to your parents for the few months and give them the money (or most if it) instead

I was considering this - they'd welcome the extra cash as I know they want to carry out some household redecorations.

Would suit all parties unless the virus suddenly goes overnight and I'll need my own independence and living space once again

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Are either of your parents in an 'at risk' group? If not, then WTF are you paying out nearly a grand a month for?

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Are either of your parents in an 'at risk' group? If not, then WTF are you paying out nearly a grand a month for?

Early 60's, both drink and smoke but work full time the pair of them and never had any underlying medical issues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

If your folks are ok for you to move back then i think you are mad to be paying that for a room 2 mins from your parents.
    Don't listen to people moaning about about people that still live with their parents into their 20's 30's
    100% move home till all this blows over

So I called the sub letters bluff and got a 120 a month reduction :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

if living at home becomes unbearable, finding another place will be WAY easier and cheaper than a few months ago. I would probably move out, depends on your relationship with parents and few other factors, that only you can judge!

In a way, given nothing will likely be going on for months, I would use this time to save as much as you can! Its a freak period, I would take advantage, where you can, from it...

look, forget about price, what "value" are you getting, it still seems very poor. you are saying other places in smithfield with ensuite are going for 800--850 and that is what they are asking, what are they getting?! I would go and find out, then make a decision, no landlord or subletter, is going to want to lose a tenant now and have to replace them, because there is so much more on the market...

It sounds like the current market rent, should be E700-750. this doesnt even include bills you say. Moving home even for a year, 11-12k saved!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

If it were me in your shoes id be gone home like a shot

• Advertisement
Advertisement