Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycle rage - any experiences of this?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

cyclists are perfectly within their rights to cycle two abreast. they are obliged to go single file while the are overtaking. the guy could have just asked you to move in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Victor wrote:
    Bull of the highest order. Very few of the cars parked around D2/4 actually move during the day.
    Just because they don't move during the day doesn't mean they aren't needed to get to and from work. The additional tasks like pick up the children and shop bring in the requirement for a car too. The city is too spread out to facilitate a decent cheap public transport system.
    Metrobest wrote:
    I think it can be done. What it requires is tough, firm decision making and the facing down of a small but powerful minority of Dubliners (those who choose to drive their cars into or through the city centre).
    That's nice but experts familiar with both don't think it is feesible with our current city use and layout. It's nice to think of people pulling strings to make thinks the way they are but I don't see any signs of organisation to do this. I think it is sheer bad planning on top of bad planning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

My mistake.
    On page 58 of my copy of the Rules of the Road it states (actually i don't have it with me atm)
    "Cyclists should never cycle more than 2 breast"
    And i guess i overlooked the operative word "more".
    Also on page 59 it states something to the effect that cyclists should cycle in single file (when the roads are busy).
    i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭ergo

again back to the OP

I cycle that canal cycle lane quite a lot at rush hour

often it's difficult to overtake single cyclists especially if they are unaware and in the middle of the lane and this can be very annoying, nevermind if someone's going 2 abreast

and I don't object to the 2 abreast thing in general but at rush hour on this lane probably not the best

I tend to be a late type of person and would be rushing down (enjoying the sunny morning too :) )and fair point about everyone getting stuck at the next red light but if you're turning left at the next red light eg Leeson St bridge then it can pay to get there faster

and aside: it drives me nuts if I'm cycling along at a reasonable speed, contantly overtaking a slow cyclist who keeps catching up at the lights and then parking themselves in front of me

and another thing: climate is often cited as a reason why people here don't cyle but let's face it cylists, we don't get rained on that much here, and that was backed up by a recent study which i will google at some stage when I get the chance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

ergo wrote:
    and aside: it drives me nuts if I'm cycling along at a reasonable speed, contantly overtaking a slow cyclist who keeps catching up at the lights and then parking themselves in front of me...

I hate overtaking other cyclists, because they have no idea you are behind them and are liable to swerve to the right at any time (to legitimatly avoid sudden pothold at the edge of the road) I don't want a tinkle tinkle bell on my masculine bike, what should I do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

vector wrote:
    I don't want a tinkle tinkle bell on my masculine bike, what should I do

Maybe you can mount one of those airhorns on the handlebars :-)
    In fact a drinks bottle holder would probably be perfect.

On a very rare occasion when I drove into work, to drop the car in for servicing, I was driving down the Quays towards O'Connell Bridge.
    I was slowing down, with 2 car lengths of space between the car in front of me.
    A bike from my left undertook me, a bike from my right overtook me....
    They criss-crossed in front of me like a Red Arrows formation, missing each other within one foot or so !! They would've destroyed each other....

It's only a matter of time before cyclists like that "take a tumble".
    Natural selection will kill off all the really aggressive ones.

Ps. for my two cents, cycling the buslanes on the N4 is nasty when the buses
    can't get past. At times I've ended up moving into the middle lane to let them pass.

regards,
    Owen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

jman0 wrote:
    My mistake.
    On page 58 of my copy of the Rules of the Road it states (actually i don't have it with me atm)
    "Cyclists should never cycle more than 2 breast"
    And i guess i overlooked the operative word "more".
    Also on page 59 it states something to the effect that cyclists should cycle in single file (when the roads are busy).
    i think.
    Check out the 'shoulds' and 'musts'. The ROTR is a combination of legal obligations and non-binding recommendations. Cyclists can cycle two abreast at all times and may cycle more than that abreast, while overtaking, if it safe to do so. Courtesy towards those trying to pass is nice but not obligitory.

What p***es me off is roller-bladers, joggers and pedestrians in off-road cycle tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Just because they don't move during the day doesn't mean they aren't needed to get to and from work. The additional tasks like pick up the children and shop bring in the requirement for a car too. The city is too spread out to facilitate a decent cheap public transport system.
    No offence, but this is rubbish. Kids can go a carrier seat on bikes too, once they past 12-18 months and can sit up properly. Kids can go on the LUAS and be picked up without having a car. Shopping can be done on foot/bike/LUAS. It's all possible, if you have half an interest in reducing car use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

MaceFace wrote:
    As a long time cyclist, I believe it is just not possible for us to be like the Dutch. Our country is wetter, has more hills, and most people live in the suburbs.

Average Rainfall for Amsterdam:
    831.6mm/year
    http://www.worldclimate.com/cgi-bin/data.pl?ref=N52E004+2100+06240W

Average Rainfall for Dublin:
    741.9mm/year
    http://www.worldclimate.com/cgi-bin/data.pl?ref=N53W006:2100:03969W

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

RainyDay wrote:
    No offence, but this is rubbish. Kids can go a carrier seat on bikes too, once they past 12-18 months and can sit up properly. Kids can go on the LUAS and be picked up without having a car. Shopping can be done on foot/bike/LUAS. It's all possible, if you have half an interest in reducing car use.
    Offence taken! You don't avoid it by just saying no offense. Have a bit of respect and don't call anybody's view rubbish especially over someting that is not offensive in anyway.
    Cycling suits me so I do it as it is a valid option. Many, many newer estates have no public transport, schools or shops. You might not know this but many people deal with this reality. I don't like it but lack of proper planning has caused this. There are parts of Swords that must be a good half hour cycle each way to a shop or school. It is unrealistic to expect some people to do this but some obviously can and don't. Urban sprawl has made public transport a very expensive option the city is too spread out for a mass transport system to be cost effective.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭PunyHuman

... Cyclists can cycle two abreast at all times and may cycle more than that abreast, while overtaking, if it safe to do so. Courtesy towards those trying to pass is nice but not obligitory.

Vindicated at last! Thank you very much. Bear in mind though that I did not know the guy was trying to pass me out. What about courtesty to those cyclists one is trying to overtake? That was my original point.

ergo wrote:
    and I don't object to the 2 abreast thing in general but at rush hour on this lane probably not the best

You're probably right; I have conceded this point earlier. But it's still within my rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

jman0 wrote:
    Maybe the rain in Amsterdam all falls in one week of the year.

A beter meausre than average total annual rainfall would be probability of rain during any journey.

How likely am I to get wet on any 10 minute bike journey? 1%? 5%?

Zaph0d wrote:
    How likely am I to get wet on any 10 minute bike journey?

Depends on whether or not it's raining. Fnar

There can be few more depressing feelings than cycling to work in the rain, against a headwind, sweating under those ridiculous wets that seem to channel water straight into one's shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

If I'm coming up behind someone (hur hur) I flick my brakes and pull right out into the car lane when overtaking. It's less aggressive than ringing a bell.

It really annoys me when someone overtakes, leaving a tiny amount of room in between. And yes, slow cyclists pulling in front at traffic lights is intensely annoying. Get into the bloody queue !!

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

PunyHuman wrote:
    Vindicated at last! Thank you very much. Bear in mind though that I did not know the guy was trying to pass me out. What about courtesty to those cyclists one is trying to overtake? That was my original point.
    The law does not require courtesy, but it does require the person doing the overtaking to do so without endangering others or causing inconvenience. This applies to all vehicles, cars and bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

<sidebar>
    at what point does a bicycle "vehicle" become a "pedestrian"... if the rider has two feet on the ground, but is still on the bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Cycling suits me so I do it as it is a valid option. Many, many newer estates have no public transport, schools or shops. You might not know this but many people deal with this reality. I don't like it but lack of proper planning has caused this. There are parts of Swords that must be a good half hour cycle each way to a shop or school. It is unrealistic to expect some people to do this but some obviously can and don't. Urban sprawl has made public transport a very expensive option the city is too spread out for a mass transport system to be cost effective.
    I'd bet a fiver donation to a charity of your choice that you can't name a street in Swords that is more than 30 minute cycle away from a shop or a school on the DTO Journey Planner. Now if you had said Lucan, I might have agreed with you, but not Swords. I agree that our planning & public transport systems leave a lot to be desired, but I also challenge the view that you 'have to' have the car because of kids or shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,243 ✭✭✭✭Victor

RainyDay wrote:
    I'd bet a fiver donation to a charity of your choice that you can't name a street in Swords that is more than 30 minute cycle away from a shop or a school on the DTO Journey Planner.
    Hell, lets make it €50.

The law does not require courtesy

More's the pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭ergo

Zaph0d wrote:
    Maybe the rain in Amsterdam all falls in one week of the year.

A beter meausre than average total annual rainfall would be probability of rain during any journey.

How likely am I to get wet on any 10 minute bike journey? 1%? 5%?

from the Irish Times, 3rd June 2005

Outlook brighter as cyclists' fear of rain unfounded
    Paul Cullen

Dublin's weather is not nearly as bad as commuters think it is, according to new research carried out by the city council.
    Indeed, so balmy are the capital's climatic conditions that a cyclist can expect to get wet on just one out of every 200 trips, according to an analysis of Met Éireann's weather records.
    Director of traffic Owen Keegan found from an accompanying survey of 600 motorists and cyclists that the perception of bad weather was an important factor in influencing car drivers not to take the bike to work.
    It also encouraged occasional cyclists to use other forms of transport during the winter.
    "Car commuters and cyclists alike have a pessimistic view of the probability of getting wet in Dublin which is very inaccurate when viewed against actual data," says Mr Keegan.
    The research shows that a cyclist on a typical 22-minute commute gets wet on only 0.6 per cent of trips in the morning and 0.4 per cent in the evening.
    If the threshold is reduced to include drizzle, these figures rise to 5 per cent in the morning and to 4 per cent in the evening.
    The survey found that both groups overestimated the frequency of rain in the capital. Almost 20 per cent of drivers and 25 per cent of cyclists wrongly believed it rained at least every second day. Mr Keegan plans further research to show how the probability of getting wet can be further reduced by "rainfall avoidance strategies" such as delaying the start of a journey.

today not a good day for these stats though!

• Advertisement
Advertisement