Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

. Tectite push-fit brass fitting.

• 04-08-2020 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hi, I would like to remove a ½ inch pex water pipe from a Tectite ‘T’ shape brass fitting. And then connect another ½ inch pex in its place. It’s a cold water supply under kitchen sink area.

The current installation has been in place 18 years with no problems at all and I would like to know if the integrity of the seal washer/mechanism inside would be compromised while doing this in view of the age of the fitting.

Would welcome any thoughts.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭CaptainCoPilot

Id leave that fitting alone. Whatever pipe it is you want to replace, cut this pipe a few inches away from the existing fitting and use a new straight coupler to connect your new pipe here. Dont forget to use inserts!

I wouldnt reus'e or reconnect to an 18 year old fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

Id leave that fitting alone. Whatever pipe it is you want to replace, cut this pipe a few inches away from the existing fitting and use a new straight coupler to connect your new pipe here. Dont forget to use inserts!

I wouldnt reus'e or reconnect to an 18 year old fitting.

Thank you, much appreciated.

Have just taken another look at it. regarding the pipe I want to remove, I need to cut as close as possible to the brass T fitting. How close to that 'T' would it be safe to cut? and push on the coupler fitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

Have just taken another look at it. regarding the pipe I want to remove, I need to cut as close as possible to the brass T fitting. How close to that 'T' would it be safe to cut? and push on the coupler fitting?

Tbh I'd just remove the old fitting altogether and replace it and connect your new pipe run directly to it.

Thanks for that. I had just finally thought of that. With the right tool which I will get today I expect that the old fitting can be removed without any problems.
    Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement