Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help with GP

• 30-07-2020 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Around January 2020 I got diagnosed with a testicular cyst. The ultrasound that discovered the cyst was oredered by a temporary doctor at my local GP (I'm on a medical card). The temp doctor looked at the ultrasound and said that it wasn't bad but to keep an eye on it.

Now around 1 week ago (23/07/2020) the cyst seems to have grown considerably and its painful at times so I went to the local GP again. This time the sitting practioner, the main guy seen me and checked it out and said that it hasn't grown and he thinks its possibly gone altogether. When I requested if I could have an ultrasound done he dismissed me saying I dont really need one.

Here's the problem though, the first doctor who examined me (the temporary one) also couldnt find a cyst by himself so hence why he ordered an ultrasound and the cyst was infact there.

And now the sitting practioner (the main guy) has the same problem because he can't find the cyst so he thinks its gone and refuses to get an ultrasound.

What can I do in this situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Lp135 wrote: »

Around January 2020 I got diagnosed with a testicular cyst. The ultrasound that discovered the cyst was oredered by a temporary doctor at my local GP (I'm on a medical card). The temp doctor looked at the ultrasound and said that it wasn't bad but to keep an eye on it.

Now around 1 week ago (23/07/2020) the cyst seems to have grown considerably and its painful at times so I went to the local GP again. This time the sitting practioner, the main guy seen me and checked it out and said that it hasn't grown and he thinks its possibly gone altogether. When I requested if I could have an ultrasound done he dismissed me saying I dont really need one.

Here's the problem though, the first doctor who examined me (the temporary one) also couldnt find a cyst by himself so hence why he ordered an ultrasound and the cyst was infact there.

And now the sitting practioner (the main guy) has the same problem because he can't find the cyst so he thinks its gone and refuses to get an ultrasound.

Always difficult when uncertainty is evident albeit I am sure your main GP will have also looked at the ultrasound results and notes to help determine his opinion and I'd tend to trust his opinion, particularly given he's also done a visual examination also.

You always have the option of getting an ultrasound done privately but at your own expense, contact your nearest private hospital, clinic to get a quote. Good luck

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Get a second opinion from another doctor. IF you have a bad feeling then trust your instinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

Can you just walk in off the street to any doctor?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lp135

6541 wrote: »
    Can you just walk in off the street to any doctor?

I'm not sure? I don't think so

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lp135

Get a second opinion from another doctor. IF you have a bad feeling then trust your instinct.

for an second opinion would it be feasible to go a completely different gp as there are no other doctors available in my own gp, just the sitting practioner?

• Advertisement

for an second opinion would it be feasible to go a completely different gp as there are no other doctors available in my own gp, just the sitting practioner?

You can but I don't think it would be covered by your medical card (unless you formally change to the new doctor altogether). Not wanting to pry but if it was difficult for these two GPs to accurately assess it (the first one needed the ultrasound and the current one says it hasn't changed but you feel it has) would going to another GP without a further ultrasound be of much benefit?

If you were to go back to your own GP and be persistent might they order a further ultrasound for you if you're not in a position to get one done privately?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

If you're anywhere near an Affidea or Swiftcare clinic or the like, you could pop in, mention a previous cyst showing on ultrasound and that you're currently experiencing a lot of pain. Most of them will be able to schedule an ultrasound for you, possibly on the spot. However you're probably looking at around €300 for this - they don't accept medical cards.

I'm not sure on a medical card you can just walk into another doctor. So the only other option is to call your existing GP, say that you'd really feel more comfortable with a second ultrasound, and would like a referral.

A referral to the public list would presumably be close to free, but if you can afford it, you could go to a private clinic for about €150.

The other question is what is the treatment for a testicular cyst? A lot of cysts the treatment is often "do nothing". For pain relief, a poultice, or a hot water bottle might help, but that's something to discuss with the doctor as well.

If it’s particularly painful, go to A & E.

Advertisement