Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for advice on advanced liver disease

Options
  • 27-07-2020 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

I'm posting here because maybe someone has experience with this. My mam was hospitalised a week ago with pneumonia and liver disease. She is very jaundiced(whites of eyes yellow and most of skin) and has swelling in her abdomen and legs.

The pneumonia has now cleared and she is off respiration but still in ICU. They are draining the fluids and she's awake, but kind of out of it(even though the doctor is saying her ammonia levels are normal). She's 36 and has been drinking for around around 2 years now, but had stopped 3 weeks prior to getting hospitalised.

I'm asking about her chances here because the doctors don't seem to give a straightforward prognosis. I'm guessing they're not wanting to give or take away hope. I'm 22, but have siblings that are 2, 7 8 and 9 and so need to start planning to be their guardian if she does not pull through. Has anyone who's been through something similar with liver failure/disease have any positive outcomes? She's currently ineligible for a transplant due to having to be abstinent for 6 months from alcohol, which doesn't seem possible at this point.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Jb1989

seanstev wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm posting here because maybe someone has experience with this. My mam was hospitalised a week ago with pneumonia and liver disease. She is very jaundiced(whites of eyes yellow and most of skin) and has swelling in her abdomen and legs.

The pneumonia has now cleared and she is off respiration but still in ICU. They are draining the fluids and she's awake, but kind of out of it(even though the doctor is saying her ammonia levels are normal). She's 36 and has been drinking for around around 2 years now, but had stopped 3 weeks prior to getting hospitalised.

I'm asking about her chances here because the doctors don't seem to give a straightforward prognosis. I'm guessing they're not wanting to give or take away hope. I'm 22, but have siblings that are 2, 7 8 and 9 and so need to start planning to be their guardian if she does not pull through. Has anyone who's been through something similar with liver failure/disease have any positive outcomes? She's currently ineligible for a transplant due to having to be abstinent for 6 months from alcohol, which doesn't seem possible at this point.

Just come across this accidently, I've no opinion, just hopeing, things went and are good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Keep your fingers crossed that she'll recover. Two years is a long time to sustain organ damage but 36 is young.

You're an absolute champion to be stepping up for your siblings.

Advertisement