Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Desert Orchid Photo Winners Enc Race (?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭chancer007

looks like Fairyhouse winners enclosure 1990

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

Anyone have another opinion on year and location of this photo of Dessie?

Is it Fairyhouse? Possibly Kempton?

Getty images says image created 1st Jan 1989. But that might be incorrect. If it is correct its possibly a photo taken Kempton Park 26th December 1988, King George.

https://www.gettyimages.ie/detail/news-photo/british-racehorse-desert-orchid-receives-the-attention-of-news-photo/72517292?adppopup=true

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It doesn't look like Kempton or Sandown and the crowd all look fairly Paddy. I would say it is .

interestingly when I googled Dessie Irish National Fairyhouse I got a picture of these birds. The one on the right is smokin hot.

Fairyhouse%2BRacecourse.jpg

Here is a picture of him entering the parade ring, small enough but that is defo the old stand in the background.

PA-4143318-300x199.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Rabbit Redux

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    It doesn't look like Kempton or Sandown and the crowd all look fairly Paddy. I would say it is .

interestingly when I googled Dessie Irish National Fairyhouse I got a picture of these birds. The one on the right is smokin hot.

Here is a picture of him entering the parade ring, small enough but that is defo the old stand in the background.

PA-4143318-300x199.jpg

That looks like Simon Sherwood on board, being led in after he won the 1989 Cheltenham Gold Cup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

That looks like Simon Sherwood on board, being led in after he won the 1989 Cheltenham Gold Cup.

How come its not snowing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Rabbit Redux

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    How come its not snowing?

There was morning snow that day, followed by rain. There wasn't much snow around by the time the race was run. The 1987 Gold Cup was run after a fall of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Definitely Cheltenham, you can just about make out the shape of cleeve hill in the background.

Definitely Cheltenham, you can just about make out the shape of cleeve hill in the background.

Thanks JP, is that by looking at both photos, ie: not just by the photo posted by Rabbit Redux?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Thanks JP, is that by looking at both photos, ie: not just by the photo posted by Rabbit Redux?

No sorry, was only referring to second pic posted which is clearly from Gold Cup.

Cant really help on first one. But for what its worth, i dont think thats fairyhouse. Maybe Wincanton where he raced a lot but thats a pure guess on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭chancer007

Hi,

Can anyone say when this race was? Thanks (It's the middle picture with Dessie in winners enc (?).

https://imsvintagephotos.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=folder:359253

Hi,

this picture was in racing post website last week.
    Pic was taken at Wincanton.
    There was a pic last week with david Elsworth in his house, he has the same pic

• Advertisement

Nice one Chancer! Briliant!

I'm presuming that's the winners enclosure. Dessie had 4 wins at Wincanton.

8th Feb 1990. R Dunwoody
    9th Nov 89. R Dunwoody
    27th Oct 88 S Sherwood
    29th Oct 87 C Brown.

Advertisement