Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Already the hottest day of the year so far in South Laois with 26.2°c on the AWS at 1.30pm!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Newport reporting 26c at 1400.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

A chilly - 99C in Cork according to met.ie

Feels warmer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭pad199207

25.3°c in Kildare

Hit 26.5c on the AWS before a bit of a breeze kicked off. Currently 25.8c in South Laois

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still 22C here in Meath, sea breezes kicked in around 2pm.

Breeze is to die for here now. It’s a very warm breeze so doesn’t feel like a sea breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

NIMAN wrote: »
    Could someone clarify what temps Met.ie predict as guides for each day?

I always assumed it was shade temps, isn't that how it's done?

It's just that they are saying it will get to 20c where I am in north Donegal today. But I'm already sitting outside in nothing but a pair of shorts at 1030 and it is roasting. I can only imagine how hot it'll be at 3 or 4 after it builds.

Then it has 12c for tomorrow, a massive drop off.

It's always shade temperature, in that it's a sensor shaded in a Stevenson Screen but which itself is out in an open grass area. It's only measuring the temperature of the air. The temperature you feel on your skin in sunshine is not the same thing at all. Objects heat up when exposed to the sun (try sitting down on a dark deck chair after it's been sitting unoccupied under the sun), but that has nothing got to do with reported air temperature.

I saw someone posting an image of a mercury thermometer sitting on a sunny ledge in their garden and it was reading 42 degrees. They tried to claim it was 42 degrees in their garden. If that's the case it was 70 degrees in my driveway the other day when the bonnet of my car almost burnt my hand...

Newport still holding steady at 26 C at 3 pm. A host of 25s being reported.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Newport reporting 27c at 4pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Just saw a fairy wind lift cut hay a few hundred feet in the sky,couldn't believe how high it went.SE Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭pauldry

Hottest day of the Summer so far.

Newport 27c

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

pauldry wrote: »

Newport 27c

It has to be, its June 1st which is the first day of the summer. So by definition

Runs :p

pauldry wrote: »

Newport 27c

Newport has hit 27 (26.8) the other days too. Without that damned decimal we won't know yet if it's beaten that figure.

EDIT: I get the joke now...

Strange that Newport has hit 27 despite a southwesterly wind, which would be more from the coast. It may have only just turned southwesterly now.

PsMETAR NEWP 011500Z AUTO 25005KT //// // ////// 27/09 1024 MSL=

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Max was 24.7 at 3pm North Kerry.
    Currently 22.7

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

About 22 degrees consistently in my garden in cork city, possibly for up to 23. Still lovely, little to no breeze. Just amazing.

26.8c on the AWS in Durrow at 5pm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Max was 24.7 at 3pm North Kerry.
    Currently 22.7

Max of 24.3C and currently 22.8C here near Tralee, Some day. Looks like everybody got sunshine today.

Rh down to 48%, 51 % atm.

Sat Pic : NASA from earlier today

nea6WFu.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Max of 24.3C and currently 22.8C here near Tralee, Some day. Looks like everybody got sunshine today.

Rh down to 48%, 51 % atm.

Sat Pic : NASA from earlier today

nea6WFu.png

you can see the start of brown land over eastern areas from that image.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Recorded 26.1 today warmest day of the year so far

today has overall been the hottest day of the year in Ireland. Mid 20's were more widespread and coastal county cooling due to sea breezes wasn't as pronounced. Almost everywhere got above 20C today.

txint_uk.png

Tomorrow is the last day of it, make the most it, should get to 24c across an even wider portion of the country tomorrow.

arpegeuk-41-28-0.png?01-17

• Registered Users Posts: 13,678 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I wish I could just enjoy this weather 100% without having niggling worries somewhere in my brain about farmers and bloody reservoirs. Surely we need to be upgrading our water systems to keep us supplied better, given we get so much rain here we should have enough to last us months without rain in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

It’s an evening for the ages one to enjoy and one that’s so so rare in this country. The last 3 evenings sitting out have been memorable this weekend weather will live long in my memory. Whoever bestowed it on us in such a tough time in our history thank you.

Met Éireann's temperature chart for 2 pm tomorrow, showing 28 in the south. That's overdoing it, I would imagine, but Moorepark's and Cork Airport's readings will be interesting to watch.

514972.png

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1267550858847440897

I will be making the most of tomorrow, could be the last warm and settled day for quite a while. A big day in the garden with lots of work to do and will get some nice sunny walks too. This weekend will be spent inside trying to stay warm and have the logs and coal ready to go for the weekend.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I will be making the most of tomorrow, could be the last warm and settled day for quite a while. A big day in the garden with lots of work to do and will get some nice sunny walks too. This weekend will be spent inside trying to stay warm and have the logs and coal ready to go for the weekend.

Yeah definitely will be making the most of tomorrow myself with the big change from tomorrow night onwards, but I wouldn’t go as far as getting the logs and coal ready for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Max today

Newport 27.1 degrees
    Athenry 26.6
    Mount Dillon 26.5
    Claremorris 26.4
    Shannon 26.0

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Love these type of big summer twilight skies:

ONllggP.png

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Thermometer is still reading 17 degrees here in Cork City! At nearly 11pm!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement