Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Bride/Groom

• 16-10-2018 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I have seen a few comment in the 2019 thread about getting married in 2020 so thought I would start this thread.

We are getting married in Feb 2020, we have our venue and church booked, photographer, band and my hair and make up booked.

I am leaving dress shopping until early new year, I'm not sure if there is anything more I can do just yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hanaimai

I'm also Feb 2020. We have the venue, celebrant, photographer, band and ceremony music booked. Hoping to try and get hair, make-up and flowers done before the end of the year.

I'm dreading dress shopping so think I'll be putting it off for as long as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

Flowers are one thing I wasn't sure how long beforehand it would be necessary to have them sorted. I feel like I need my dress before i pick what flowers to use.
    I have a new baby, 6 months old so putting off dress shopping until January so I can lose a few more pounds before then. Although I see a lot of the bridal shops are having sample sales soon and I do love a bargain!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I'm a 2020 bride too! So far we have our date and the reception venue confirmed. We're fairly sure on the photographer we want, and he's recommended a DJ and a videographer that we'e going to check out. We still haven't decided if we're going to have a church ceremony or a secular ceremony, and we'll need to decide that before we sort some of the other things.

We're in a slightly odd position in that we're not 'officially' engaged... We're planning to get married and have started organising everything, but he still wants to actually propose to me. We'll probably have most of the wedding sorted before we tell people we're getting married, which may be a good thing because nobody will be sticking their oar in (for example, on whether to church or not to church!) It just seemed sensible to get a headstart when we've got so much else going on, like moving continent, buying a house, sorting a job etc.

I love that you are doing all the planning without anyone knowing, thats a great idea!! You can do everything you want to.
    I have had comments from my mum saying oh I wouldn't have that on the menu etc, I have kind of stopped talking about the wedding to people now, I just don't want their input!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Minnie_mol

Hi everyone!
    I'm getting married February 2020 too! I have the venue, church, church singer, videographer and accord course booked and hoping to book most other things before Christmas!

The one thing I can't seem to decide on tho is a band!! I can be indecisive at the best of times but I'm another level with this :D I've been to see a few at this stage we wanted pink champagne but unfortunately they were booked. Any ideas of who may be similar?

I'm also putting off dress shopping can't face the the thoughts of it yet!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

ainy wrote: »
    Flowers are one thing I wasn't sure how long beforehand it would be necessary to have them sorted. I feel like I need my dress before i pick what flowers to use.

Just a 2017 bride popping in here :) In relation to flowers, you don't need to know exactly what you want this far in advance. My florist only booked 2 weddings per day so they can book up fast. I had a consultation a few months before my wedding day and then a final run through a couple of months before the big day where she made up a mock bouquet for me and I chose my final selection that day.

jellybear wrote:
    Just a 2017 bride popping in here In relation to flowers, you don't need to know exactly what you want this far in advance. My florist only booked 2 weddings per day so they can book up fast. I had a consultation a few months before my wedding day and then a final run through a couple of months before the big day where she made up a mock bouquet for me and I chose my final selection that day.

Thanks for that jellybear, may contact the florist now so!

Minnie_mol wrote:
    The one thing I can't seem to decide on tho is a band!! I can be indecisive at the best of times but I'm another level with this I've been to see a few at this stage we wanted pink champagne but unfortunately they were booked. Any ideas of who may be similar?

I don't have suggestions on ones like pink champagne, I picked the first band I went to see, i just loved the lead singer voice, lovely tone to it. They are the soundmen live.

ainy wrote: »
    Thanks for that jellybear, may contact the florist now so!

No problem :) Not sure where you're based but I used Sheefin Flowers in Mullingar and I would HIGHLY recommend them :)

jellybear wrote:
    No problem Not sure where you're based but I used Sheefin Flowers in Mullingar and I would HIGHLY recommend them

I'm about half an hour away from mullingar, I had my eye on the local florist so will contact them and see but thanks for the recommendation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Minnie_mol

Hi everyone after seeing people mention here booking flowers early I've started to try and look for someone! Does any one have recommendations around the limerick area? I've come across wedding decor businesses as well as wedding florists, I'm not sure which to go for. is there a need for wedding decor in people's opinions? I know most of these decisions are down to taste/ preference but is there an obvious difference between the two? I've seen lovely displays outside churches at friends weddings, are these done by most florists or is this the wedding decor side of things? ... sorry for the longwinded message as you'll tell i have literally no clue about flowers in general anyway so I'm lost when it comes to this :D

So we've put down the deposits for the venue, photographer, videographer and DJ. We've also settled on the church ceremony - it wouldn't have been my personal choice, but it means a lot to my boyfriend so we've agreed to compromise.

I'm not sure if I should tell people how much we've organised when we do get 'officially' engaged, it might seem a bit weird :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I mean, you are officially engaged. You just haven’t told people. Engaged means you’ve agreed to get married, you just haven’t had a big proposal. So I’d imagine it would make more sense to announce that you’re getting married (“so happy to announce that John and I are getting married!”), rather than a fake “omg he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him and I was so surprised!” Facebook post or similar. It only sounds weird if you pretend the “proposal” was the first you knew of anything.if anyone asks, be honest - tell them that you got quietly engaged a while ago but didn’t announce it for a while.

Oh I know that, that's why I had 'officially' in inverted commas. Anyway we've told everyone now and have started asking people to be bridesmaids/groomsmen etc, which is exciting! We probably won't be doing any more wedding planning for a while though as we've got the move to Canada and all the logistical stuff to sort out first, but we've got the main stuff ticked off at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

2020 Bride here! Just started looking and narrowed down to 5 venues, 5 wildly different venues. Will be booking viewings this week.

Super excited, but also very overwhelmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jesso22

We've just decided to get married! We are in the middle of buying a house, and already have two little boys. Marriage would be the next sensible step, and I like the idea of being a 'wife'. Just the wedding part to get past though aaaaahhhh!
    Hate the thoughts of it, so we are going small and local. Besides, we are flat broke. But there's no way our families and friends would let us elope ha!
    Going to try for May 2020, when we will be together 10 years. Small private ceremony, then a buffet party for everyone else, something relaxed. Disco for the kids and drinks flowing

Venue, celebrant and ceremony/arrival drinks singer booked.
    Enquiries sent to chosen band and wedding car.

Just looking for photographer/ videographer now and once that's booked then I can relax for a few months.

Using an app called Wedding Happy. Finding it great so far for tracking suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭blue note

Ah ffs guys, you're making me worried here. We're just engaged a week and were thinking a wedding around February to not stress ourselves too much with trying to do it all in a hurry. And the first two posts are from October and practically have the whole thing organised already!

blue note wrote:
    Ah ffs guys, you're making me worried here. We're just engaged a week and were thinking a wedding around February to not stress ourselves too much with trying to do it all in a hurry. And the first two posts are from October and practically have the whole thing organised already!

Ha don't worry!! I was just super organised, I was on maternity leave so wanted to get things sorted before getting back to work.
    Plus I wanted to be able to have prices so that I could budget!

It is perfectly doable to organise in a year, you just may not get the exact suppliers you want!

Congratulations on your engagement!

blue note wrote: »

Well we've since cancelled all our plans in that post in favour of a much smaller wedding this October!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Hi! :) We're also considering May 2020. Nothing organised - I've started emailing a few folks from humanist Ireland to see availability. I have a *gorgeous* venue in mind that I think should be possible (family connection) but need to settle on a date first and then get a rough idea of numbers.

Similarly to one of the above, we didn't do a big proposal we just decided it was something we wanted to do. We've not told anyone yet and I'm bursting to. Our parents will be over the moon. We'll be together 9 years then. I'm still half afraid he'll change his mind and want to do a big proposal but for me it seems a waste of money to buy a ring when we could save that money and put it towards the party. Not planning to tell anyone til the venue is booked and date is set and basically just send some save the dates. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

blue note wrote: »

All I will say on that is to try and get the core elements decided on ASAP. Our photographer that we used (I still follow them on Instagram) is now fully booked for 2019 already, with a lot of dates for 2020 gone. We got our date, location, photographer and celebrant nailed down as soon as we could and then took our time with everything else. We got those nailed down almost 2 years in advance which seems excessive but it did mean we had our pick of suppliers. Actually when it came to the celebrant (humanist) the first few we contacted once we had a date were already booked - and that was for a November wedding.

Yep, we've booked 02/05/20, I thought it was so far away but was surprised at the amount of suppliers already booked up!

We got our second choice band.
    And while shopping around for photographer and videographer got lots of replies saying they weren't free on our Date!

I've everything booked and deposits paid now. And I've sent my save the date messages.

My bridesmaids are busy planning the hens too.

Just dresses, suits and flowers later in the year.

Humanists definitely book up very quickly so I would recommend getting that sorted ASAP :)

Fellow podcast listeners - One Fab Day has started a wedding podcast (called The One Fab Day Wedding Podcast, so it's fairly easy to search for) I've listened to a few episodes so far and it seems pretty good! The first episode is about what to do when you're first engaged, and they have another one on dealing with tricky parents - it's probably the most useful for people early in the wedding planning stages but they have some handy tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 oneright

Shelli2 wrote: »
    2020 Bride here! Just started looking and narrowed down to 5 venues, 5 wildly different venues. Will be booking viewings this week.

Super excited, but also very overwhelmed.[/QUOTE
    Very much where we are at! Picking a month is also hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Hi! :) We're also considering May 2020. Nothing organised - I've started emailing a few folks from humanist Ireland to see availability. I have a *gorgeous* venue in mind that I think should be possible (family connection) but need to settle on a date first and then get a rough idea of numbers.

Similarly to one of the above, we didn't do a big proposal we just decided it was something we wanted to do. We've not told anyone yet and I'm bursting to. Our parents will be over the moon. We'll be together 9 years then. I'm still half afraid he'll change his mind and want to do a big proposal but for me it seems a waste of money to buy a ring when we could save that money and put it towards the party. Not planning to tell anyone til the venue is booked and date is set and basically just send some save the dates. :pac:

Venue booked for April 2020, celebrant booked, ceremony music booked, and in the process of making the save the dates. We're down to two or three bands that we're deciding on. I've also got the postal notification ready to drop in the post tomorrow. Got some quotes for hair/makeup. Next thing is to look at photographers. Wedding insurance isn't possible. Planning has been pretty smooth so far.

Oh, and we finally told people! :) He never did change his mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 oneright

Struggling with venues! we have been to see 5, the one we want already has a provisional booking. Theyve no other days available in the month we want to get married. How odd would a Wednesday or Thursday wedding be? Would you feel bad about asking people to take 2 days off work?

We're considering cancelling everything and eloping!
    I'm all over the place. I can't make up my mind what to do, but the next installment on the venue is due in 4 weeks so I'll have to decide by then.

• Advertisement

Shelli2 wrote: »
    We're considering cancelling everything and eloping!
    I'm all over the place. I can't make up my mind what to do, but the next installment on the venue is due in 4 weeks so I'll have to decide by then.

I know how you feel. We had deposits down and everything booked when we decided to cancel the whole thing in favour of a much smaller scale event. I was so stressed when I started to think about changing the plan and it was awful cancelling everything and wondering if you've made the right choice but now a few months later I feel SO much happier with the new plan than with the original plan. We're getting married earlier now which I'm super excited about. And it was much less stress to get things sorted for the smaller event.

It's a really hard position to be in and at the end of the day only you can know what's best. Do whatever will make you and your fiancé happy. Good luck with the decision!

Advertisement