Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I think it may be a mistake. I can't make sense of it otherwise.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

There was a Veronica Smith married in 1934, in Kells, not to Moore, nor in Kilcloon, perhaps put under the wrong entry.

All the people on this page would have been 74 or 75 by 1935.
    As a general rule somebody marrying a person this age, would be doing so in expectation of inheritance, so would have made sure it was registered. Perhaps a relative of Moore blocked this on the grounds of incapacity, after the priest made the note in the register.

Indeed tabbey - all sorts of imponderables to consider - but I've decided it's a mistake. It's easier that way.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

A small query on a marriage entry here

Left side, on 5 Feb 1815, Toby Purcel & Honor, etc. On last line, "James Purcell, his nephews" or is just nephew?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Found it - think it's on the following page after the link.

Nephews I would say.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Oops, sorry.

Thanks for confirmation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I agree, the 's' is similar to the 's' in presence .

Another - a decrypt from the 1901 Census "Where born" - I can make out Co. Mayo from the bottom line, anyone have an idea of the over-written words? (I have an idea of one word but do not want to influence a view....
    Thanks,
    P.

Can you link to the census, Pedro? Helpful to see other words in the same hand.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Can you link to the census, Pedro? Helpful to see other words in the same hand.

Thanks Pinky - unfortunately he is a widower living on his own, so there is nothing to compare with on his return, The return for the Street is here but it would have been the enumeratory who made the correction.

• Advertisement

It's still helpful to see the whole entry: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000552757/

I'd guess the words on top are Meath some small word then Mayo.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Meath St Mary's ???

Genealogy Forum Mod

I think the top line is Westport, Mayo ?????????

Do you think both lines are the same? ie Westport, Mayo

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Do you think both lines are the same? ie Westport, Mayo

Yes, I think it is the same on the lower line / below but I’m less sure. On the top line the lowercase ‘p’ of ‘port’ is an indicator?
    PK was 72 when the census was taken and died a few months later, so filling forms might not have been easy.

Westport written like this

I think the top line is Westport, Mayo ?????????

on balance of probability, yes.

There also is a Newport co. Mayo
    another has seen north west Mayo.

He is the penultimate of my '16' and while I have his marriage & death, and year /county of birth (from 1901 census) , I'd like to firm up a bit more on his parents & baptism. I'll start on the Parish registers......
    Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭The Chieftain

I would be grateful if some of you kind folk could offer an opinion on the address associated with the February 29th, 1840 marriage of John Redmond and Mary Lawless, which can be seen (in between some March entries) at
    http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634011#page/114/mode/1up
    That last word, the address, trails off awfully, but is Bally???

And another request! I noticed this 1758 baptism in the original register many years ago, but with additional info I am now of the opinion that this is the baptism of a brother of my g-g-g-g-grandmother, and so the parents are (hopefully), my g-g-g-g-g-grandparents.
    The baptism of interest can be seen at
    http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634033#page/17/mode/1up
    There is only one word I can't make out, the second surname for the mother. I make the entry to be

"July ye 14th, 1758
    John Cullen was born at Ballys.h.i.t(e) in ye Parish of Our Lady's Island, son to Nicholas & Catherine Johnson, alias ??? Ghoshops were Stephen Sinnot and Ellen Kelly."

I would note that in two other baptisms for the same parents, the surname at issue is even less legible - this is the best version. In the other two versions, though, the mother's surnames are the other way around, i.e. Catherine ??? alias Johnson. Which one is likely her maiden name?

Finally, for those who took note of the location, Ballys.h.i.t(e) is the Gaelic for townland of the wind. For some reason, the OS emended this to a revised official spelling of Ballyhit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Going on the 'ghoshops' :) could it be Spain?

• Advertisement

Catherine Johnson - could she be a Tracey?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

spurious wrote: »

Whatever the word is, it appears on other entries, and seems to mean sponsors.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Whatever the word is, it appears on other entries, and seems to mean sponsors.

Yes, that's why I thought the surname might start with an Sp.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

It looks like Shawn or Shaun....

The word ‘alias’ signifies widow as it is also used more clearly in the entry below. I’d suggest her maiden name is the one first used, her former married name being the other. ‘Gliosh’ word relates to sponsors, as it is used throughout. I wonder if it is a Yola word?

Baile Shiota is the Irish place name from the word shiota, a sheet. (Wind is gaoith, hence for e.g. Geesala in Mayo, Ardnageehy in Cork and Mastergeehy in Kerry.)

1637 Bally****te & Couleblow (Pat. Browne)
    1654-6 Bally****ts
    1655c Balli****t
    1659 Balle****e
    1659 Balle****e
    1660c Bally****ts and Cobblow (Wm. Browne)
    1667 Bally****t (Rich. Nunn)
    1685c B:****t
    1690c Bally****t als Ballyhitt & Coldblow
    1734 Ballyhite als Bally****e (Millward-Hughes)
    1830 Ballyhitt
    1830 Ballyhitt
    1840 Bally****t & Colbowe
    1840 Ballyhitt
    1840 Baile Cheit, 'Keith's town'

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Since Catherine's surname is Johnson, could the alias refer to an alternative spelling, Shaun, Irish for John?????

The word ‘alias’ signifies widow as it is also used more clearly in the entry below. I’d suggest her maiden name is the one first used, her former married name being the other. ‘Gliosh’ word relates to sponsors, as it is used throughout. I wonder if it is a Yola word?

Baile Shiota is the Irish place name from the word shiota, a sheet. (Wind is gaoith, hence for e.g. Geesala in Mayo, Ardnageehy in Cork and Mastergeehy in Kerry.)

Thank you for that link, I was unaware of it - can I ask where did the list by year come from?
    I am not an expert on Gaelic, despite the fact that I spent years where the only subject I studied in English was English itself (e.g. had to translate Latin and French to Irish, and v.v!). So I tend to rely on reference works for name meanings, in this case the book "Treasures of the Landscape (County Wexford's Rural Landscape)", where the etymology of Ballyhit is twice given as "townland of the gust of wind".

spurious wrote: »

The pastor from 1740 to 1763 was Rev. James Nicholas French -his signature is on the entry in question. He used variations on "ghoshops". His successor from 1763, Rev. Mun Stafford, used a slightly different spelling "gossop". As already stated, this word has to mean sponsors - would be interesting to understand its etymology.

KildareFan wrote: »
    Since Catherine's surname is Johnson, could the alias refer to an alternative spelling, Shaun, Irish for John?????

Thanks to all for the comments, andwhen I look at it again myself, I agree it looks like "Shaun". However, when another child, James, was baptized to the same couple on 19th April 1756, the mother's name does not look like "Shaun", please see
    http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634033#page/15/mode/1up
    and Nov/dec/ 1753, baptism of Richard Cullen
    http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634033#page/12/mode/1up
    In these latter two cases, could it be "Nunn" ? - which would be very interesting, if so!

• Advertisement

The pastor from 1740 to 1763 was Rev. James Nicholas French -his signature is on the entry in question. He used variations on "ghoshops". His successor from 1763, Rev. Mun Stafford, used a slightly different spelling "gossop". As already stated, this word has to mean sponsors - would be interesting to understand its etymology.

It must be olde English script.

This link might help. (.pdf)

**edit Came across this interactive tutorial, which is very good indeed: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/palaeography/

Advertisement