Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Know Your Veg*ns (Pictures and info!)

• 07-07-2009 9:17pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

So perhaps to get to know everybody that frequents here and to help everybody recognise each other for future boards meets we will have this picture and info sticky. So you can put pictures of yourself here, description of your diet, age, location, career, whatever and how much you are comfortable sharing, no more! Feel free to post updates or new photos too, whatever you want.

Some of you may not know how to post a picture on here so I'll do a quick run through first. You go to a website like www.photobucket.com or one of the others like flickr and you make an account. You are then given the option to upload pictures off your PC to your album. The site will then give you a link with the picture under it. To post it on here you paste the link in a post and write [?img] at the start of it and [/?img] after it, without the "?"s. So it might look like [?img]www.photobucket.com/picture.jpg[/?img]. If anybody has trouble let me know and I'll help you out, but I imagine most know how to by now. You can also just link to bebo/facebook whatever if you wush to show the photo that way.

So anyway I had better start it off since I am making the thread.

I am from Sligo, I have been a vegetarian for 5 years, maybe a vegan one day but that might take some years. I am vegetarian for many reasons, mostly ethical and environmental. When I started out all I ate was meat and it's taken me these years to get used to a vegetable diet. I would never go back now, it's fun to eat what I eat and try/cook new meals, and it makes me much happier than I would be if I still ate meat.

I have recently turned 23 and graduated a year ago with a degree in Electronic & Computer Engineering from NUIG.
    So I lived for 4.5 years in galway and I am back in Sligo now. At the moment I am looking for a masters course/job, preferably in the capital, am studying for future certifications and learning to drive!

This is me on the left(you can tell by paleness):*
    It is from a year ago when myself and my class visited Edinburgh.

48992371a9211298454l.jpg

I'll refrain from other pictures until other people post! You might even see the full face one day :eek:

*Not me really, just googled 'male model', i'm really a girl, honest, yes...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

It is very nice to meet you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Mentalmiss wrote: »
    It is very nice to meet you.

Thank you Mentalmiss, hopefully will have some more info from you and others soon.
    Regale us with tales of starting your raw food diet and so on. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

ok, ill post so Tar doesnt look like a loner! :P

im a vegetarian about emm must be 14 years now!
    im 26 and iv a lil girl who is nearly 7, thats her in the pics! shes the bestest, dont know what id do without her (seriously, im like her child!)
    im a graphic designer.
    i cant cook. (trying to learn!)
    i love meeting new peoples (feel like im posting on single pages here now, i dont know what to say!)
    i love all things sci-fi and fantasy.
    hmm, things that make me happy...second hand shopping, drawing, piercings, reading, going out with the girdles, music, driving, driving while listening to music and singing at top of my lungs (best done on motorway!)

i cant think of anything else to say atm, so pics....

us.jpg
    Photo238.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Jesus, I'm terrible at these kinda things...

Ok. I'm Aoife, I'm 16 and I'm a girl.
    Um... I went veggie back in 05 and went vegan last October...
    I'm going into fifth year this year.
    I live in Dublin. Always have.
    I hate cooking, it seems I have to do it almost everyday and I'm sick of it. Baking is good though. I like making cake :)
    Sci-fi makes me happy.
    I blow all my money on chocolate, boxsets and shiny things :D

I'll post a pic when my laptop is working again. It's the only place with pics of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Tar, I did Computer Engineering in college, so we probably learnt some of the same stuff, but don't talk to me about it cause I didn't really like my course!

I've been vegan for 3 years, I was vegetarian for 8 years before that.
    I'm not really doing anything at the moment, just dosing basically! I'm going to be starting a great job in October, which I'm really looking forward to.
    I love tea, vodka and music.

• Advertisement

biZrb wrote: »
    Tar, I did Computer Engineering in college, so we probably learnt some of the same stuff, but don't talk to me about it cause I didn't really like my course!
    I did Electronic Engineering but don't talk to me about it either because that was in the late seventies and the subject has changed a tiny bit since that.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

I'm a DIT graduate with an Hons Degree in Food Technology, I graduated last year. Currently working in a completely unrelated job though, hard times and all that.
    I'm 25. I was born, and live, in Dublin. I never have money and can never remember what i spent it on. I drink too much coffee and I smoke.

I constantly look stoned apparently, judge for yourself :P

I have tattoo's on both wrists, but now that I've found out that the ink they use isn't veggie (thanks to the thread here) I feel like I'm wearing my hypocrisy on my sleeve so to speak. I plan on getting more but researching the aul' ink situatuion a bit more first.

....cannay think of much else to write, I may edit this post if I think of anything, but hello to you all anyway.

http://twitter.com/account/profile_image/MainEntrance?hreflang=en

Edit: am i allowed post a link here? not even sure if it'll work unless you're signed into twitter. I can't post a proper pic coz I'm in work, I will at a later date :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Ah sure why not:)

I'm Darren and i'm a vegetarian:pac: *hi Darren* anyways yeah been veggie for bout 2 years now. Went back to college over 2 years ago and am in my last year of study of Sports Therapy. I'm 28 (people still dont guess my age correctly;)) and have been here in the city centre of Dublin all of my life. No tats no piercings either.

I dont smoke, i do drink and my fave food is strawberries!!

Obligatory pic of myself (in the white) and a friend at a recent music festival:)

I'm Darren and i'm a vegetarian:pac: *hi Darren* anyways yeah been veggie for bout 2 years now. Went back to college over 2 years ago and am in my last year of study of Sports Therapy. I'm 28 (people still dont guess my age correctly;)) and have been here in the city centre of Dublin all of my life. No tats no piercings either.

Obligatory pic of myself (in the white) and a friend at a recent music festival:)

ur 28?!!!
    um what moisturiser do u use ;)

....cannay think of much else to write, I may edit this post if I think of anything, but hello to you all anyway.

MainEntrance?hreflang=en

u look like a lil blue box with a question mark to me :P

aww more pics!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Hello fellow tinterweb users,

Vegetarian for nearly 20 years, flirted with being a Vegan and didn't get on very well. I love milk,eggs and cheese too much sadly. I'm *cough*36*cough* years old.

Originally from England, living in the Sunny South East for 7 years, working as a Registered Nurse.

3 kids 6,4 and 1, and are all the absolute business, easily my 3 proudest achievements!!

Spare time mostly wrangling the kids but I'm also a video game Nerd, love watching Sport, listening to music (taste is stuck in the mid 90s) (Gene, Bluetones, Longpigs, Blur, Manics etc.), watching films and TV (recommend SPACED as required viewing!)

I am happy :D in a miserable sort of way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yay! replies! I thought darren was 19/20! Shock.
    I see a lot like fantasy like me and a lot did engineering. :-o

More pix!

Me in sketch form, at a sports day in the company I used to work for:
    yourpaul.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I suppose I’ll join in! I’m a Dun Laoghaire gal, been vegan for the past 3 years and was vegetarian for 6 years previous to that. I am currently doing a PhD in the field of chemistry... And I absolutely love to bake vegan cakes; you try and stop me! Mmmmm vegan doughnuts, profiteroles, sticky toffee pudding, cookies, orange chocolate muffins, chocolate mousse... :D

You're 28??? What's your secret? I must know!!

And sweet-rasmus, did you leave out your age on purpose?

maameeo wrote: »
    ur 28?!!!
    um what moisturiser do u use ;)
    Yay! replies! I thought darren was 19/20! Shock.
    Aoifums wrote: »
    You're 28??? What's your secret? I must know!!
    Yeah i am...i think only 2 ppl have ever guessed my age correctly lol:D As for secrets/moisturisers? i've never smoked, only took up drinking 6 months ago and stay pretty fit, while eating well ofc;)

Well I am probably the oldest here at 57. I am a little old grandmother to a nine year old.
    As some here will know I am a Raw Foodist and passionate about it. I have worked at a few things in my life and am currently in the process (with a partner) of building a Raw Food Retreat and restaurant in NY state.
    I am happy and healthy and looking forward to the next 50 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Nice to meat you ^_^

I'm Tom - not quite a full veggie yet, but I've made a start (just couldn't give up seafood!)
    My mother has always been quite alternative and didn't cook meat for around 10 years, so I'm already fairly used to living without it.

I'll be 27 years old in a couple of weeks, and am in the process of moving in with my gf who is also a fish eating veggie type (is there a word for that?) which kind of spurred me into giving it up... She didn't mind me eating meat at all, this is something I've wanted to do for myself for ages and being able to have a fridge without any meat in it seemed like the perfect opportunity.
    Anyway - have managed a week and a half without meat and I'm still glad I went for it:)

Aoifums wrote: »
    And sweet-rasmus, did you leave out your age on purpose?
    Yeah, there is a certain amount I choose to share with the internet. I'm in my 20s if that'll do ya! :D

tman - 'fish eating veggie' is a pescetarian. This confusion is why veggies get served fish... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

tman wrote: »
    I'll be 27 years old in a couple of weeks, and am in the process of moving in with my gf who is also a fish eating veggie type (is there a word for that?)

Pescetarian, I think?:)

who is also a fish eating veggie type (is there a word for that?
    Its called Piscitarian:)
    Anyway - have managed a week and a half without meat and I'm still glad I went for it:)
    Well done, thats a good start to it:)

Nice to meet you, and the others in here so far:)

• Advertisement

Nice to meat you ^_^

I'm Tom - not quite a full veggie yet, but I've made a start (just couldn't give up seafood!)
    My mother has always been quite alternative and didn't cook meat for around 10 years, so I'm already fairly used to living without it.

I'll be 27 years old in a couple of weeks, and am in the process of moving in with my gf who is also a fish eating veggie type (is there a word for that?) which kind of spurred me into giving it up... She didn't mind me eating meat at all, this is something I've wanted to do for myself for ages and being able to have a fridge without any meat in it seemed like the perfect opportunity.
    Jaysus it's tman, one of is, one of us. Get the chant going people.
    i miss stalking you in galw...anyway!

Good luck to you was tough for me at the start, didn't know about fake meat, the term for somebody that doesn't eat meat apart from fish is a pescetarian.

edit: jesus, replies flew out

Yeah, there is a certain amount I choose to share with the internet. I'm in my 20s if that'll do ya! :D

Ah, I just thought you were one of those people who mumbled their age when saying it or something :D

Give me another 20/30 years and you bet that'll be me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Good luck to you was tough for me at the start, didn't know about fake meat, the term for somebody that doesn't eat meat apart from fish is a pescetarian.

Cheers... Made some chilli using vegan friendly mince the other day, was pretty damn yummy if I do say so myself!

I miss the stalking too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

maameeo wrote: »
    u look like a lil blue box with a question mark to me :P

aww more pics!!

OOps :rolleyes: I put in a link now if you're on Twitter (one of the few sites not blocked in my place of slavery)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Hello!

I can't access any social networking sites in work so I've no access to a photo but sure picture something pretty ;)

I'm in my mid twenties. I've been a veggie for 4 years, a relatively short time period, but I'm very very passionate about it. I live with my boyfriend who's a veggie too which, of course, is really handy. I love love love cooking and experimenting with food. I cycle everywhere and I love my bike. I work in publishing. And I can't think of anything else right now!

Anyway, hello! :)

Cheers... Made some chilli using vegan friendly mince the other day, was pretty damn yummy if I do say so myself!

I miss the stalking too :(
    The realeat one in the green packet? I addicted. Can't get most my stuff in this loser town, miss the evergreens in galway. Go to the govindas stall at the weekend if you haven't before. Matar paneer on the saturday, nomnom.
    OOps :rolleyes: I put in a link now if you're on Twitter (one of the few sites not blocked in my place of slavery)
    I joined that site earlier out of boredom and tried like threee names, all taken. Damn you other TarAldarion.
    cosmic wrote: »
    Hello!

I can't access any social networking sites in work so I've no access to a photo but sure picture something pretty ;)

hawt. :-p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Mateo Delicious Dolt

I'm Caoimhe, I'm 20 but recently I've taken to telling people I'm 18 because apparently it's "more believable" :confused: I'm about to go into final year in UCC which sounds very grown up but I'm only doing arts so m'eh. I'm funemployed atm which is interfering atrociously with my binge drinking. I'm 95% vegan, as in I'd have cheese or chocolate maybe a couple times a month, if even, and never touch milk or eggs (eucccchhhh).

And this is me (on the right)

14347605a10719030734l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

hi all... good to see/read/e-meet ye :)

my name's Froo (ok, not really, but ill answer to it just as quick), im 21, born and bred in ireland (kildare) and living in new zealand after accidently falling in love with a kiwi (the internet is a dangerous place...).

currently working part time as a receptionist in a hepatitis c clinic, i love my job and my boss and she's actually helping me figure out what sort of college course i want to do (never quite got round to that in ireland). ... so am hoping for a place in CPIT doing mental health support sometime next year, once my residency comes through. currently looking at doing some volunteer work in that sector, waiting to hear back from a place...

im vegetarian, with some serious food issues, but at a happy place in my life and trying to make some positive changes (am also currently a wee bit inebriated, and it a tuesday night >_>) :)

suppose my most interesting features at the moment are that i chopped most of my hair off a few months ago, and then shaved the rest off a couple months later. few pics of that, the last one's me last saturday night before a(n awesome) joy division tribute gig.
    IMAG2744.jpg
    Snap806jpg2.jpg
    shave2.jpg
    untitled-11.jpg

• Advertisement

What is that giant gold thing lol?

And the bald pic is really cool :D

Advertisement