Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Route 4 to Blackrock?

• 11-06-2007 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭

Today while cycling to work I saw a no.4 with "Blackrock" written on the front, when I got to Blackrock I saw a 4 leaving with "Ballymun" written on the front. Have they changed the 4 to go as far as Blackrock now or is it just the occasional service? In a surprising move for a CIE company there is nothing on the Dublin bus website about the 4 going to Blackrock, not even in the 4 timetable. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

According to Garaiste the extension to Blackrock started on Sunday. No advice on DB website, which is unusual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Thanks for that. Any idea when the timetable will be updated? I have to base my Thursday on whether this bus will definitely run or not.

What is next Wednesday lotto numbers? :)

I suggest a quick email to info@dublinbus.ie to ask when the TT will be updated.

What is next Wednesday lotto numbers? :)

I suggest a quick email to info@dublinbus.ie to ask when the TT will be updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I saw another two with Blackrock written on them yesterday evening, this morning I saw one waiting at Frascatti. I think It's safe to assume they are running. I'm not so worried about the time table, I would just rather not wait for a bus that doesn't go to my stop, it seems the 4 does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Yes in full swing, extra drivers extra buses.

You all have computers get onto DB about its website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

I rang Dublin Bus today to inquire why there was no mention of the route extension on it's timetable. The reply was that there will be a timetable there in the next week and that the route is being tested at the moment. When I asked how a passenger was to to know the timetable I was told they are "about every 10 - 20 minutes depending on when you're waiting".

I'm guessing since the route has been extended, the whole timetable has been knocked out of shape and passengers waiting at stops from Ballymun across to St.Vincents are reading an incorrect timetable.

I fail to see what testing needs to be done. This is a busy corridor and buses have been running this road for years. Get your plans in place before altering a route and leaving the public guessing...

I find this type of behaviour a disgrace. There seems to be no communication at all between the Dublin Bus head office, the garage and the people in charge of issuing timetables to the public. This is the latest in a long list of timetable errors which have been issued to the public following timetable/route changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Whatever about not providing updated information/timetable, it's great news to see the service extended to Blackrock.

It's possible that the "testing" is to ensure there's no congestion at Blackrock Station... I presume that's where the terminus is.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I wonder how well the bendi-buses would deal with the side street down to the station.

I suspect the would just do Rock Road - Main Street - Carysfort Avenue (bottom section) - Blackrock Bypass - Rock Road. Although if more than one bus is early, it could get crowded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

The terminus is not in Blackrock village, it the bus stop at Frascati bus comes into the village and then follows the 17 route up the main street right at the Central Cafe and then right onto the bypass

Certainly haven't seen a bendy bus down at the station.

It was thought the 4 would continue to a terminus in Stradbrook up at the TK roundabout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

This is an absolutely farcical situation.

There have been changes before that have not been advised to the public for some time (such as the 25X ex-Adamstown and the 46B extension to Belarmine), but never anything on this scale.

To use the "testing" excuse is nothing more than that - an excuse and this in itself is inexcusable. It is in breach of the customer charter which states:

"When we change a timetable or a bus route, we will let you know".

They have failed to do either of these in this case. The route has got a full timetable with new driver rosters and to suggest otherwise is just flannel.

At the end of the day the company have continued to operate in the old way....tell the public after the event has taken place.

Victor wrote:
    I wonder how well the bendi-buses would deal with the side street down to the station.

I suspect the would just do Rock Road - Main Street - Carysfort Avenue (bottom section) - Blackrock Bypass - Rock Road. Although if more than one bus is early, it could get crowded.

The route is exactly that with the terminus at the Frascati Shopping Centre.

The buses do NOT serve Blackrock DART Station - there is no space for them there.

There "may" be extensions along Stradbrook Road and Deans Grange Road to the TK Roundabout in due course.

The extension is a very welcome one and will allow the Rock Road QBC to become operational, but why the change is not being advertised is truly beyond me.

Victor wrote:

The testing will come in the summer mornings when you get two bendi's parked there and 7s,45,s and 17s refusing to stop.
    The depot manager in the high office of Donnybrook was told about the possibility of non stopping buses here several weeks ago, so its not a last minute hitch. New drivers for the route 4/a were advertised in the depots upto 4 weeks ago with marking in sheets up 2 weeks ago.

SickCert wrote:
    The testing will come in the summer mornings when you get two bendi's parked there and 7s,45,s and 17s refusing to stop.
    The depot manager in the high office of Donnybrook was told about the possibility of non stopping buses here several weeks ago, so its not a last minute hitch. New drivers for the route 4/a were advertised in the depots upto 4 weeks ago with marking in sheets up 2 weeks ago.

I guess the departure of the depot manager in Donnybrook for pastures new (a waste disposal company I understand) probably hasn't helped in all of this.

A Waste?
    He was still to implement the new 46a/b/746 timing bill from several months ago. So maybe route 4 will be addressed by 2008.

The man next door to him isnt any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Got the 4 today, the last stop was Blackrock Village as told by the bus driver.

It didn't go right back around to Frascati Shopping Centre though... I wonder where the buses go?

Some are blocking the stops at Carysfort around the next right from where you jumped ship.

Advertisement