Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

imdb?

• 23-09-2004 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

what system does the imdb use for referencing movies and actors?
    I am trying to make a system like theirs for comic book characters where you can see which other of the comics a character has been in, and who they are ememies and friends with

However I woudl like to use some sort of database system to do this instead of just linking through html as that would take ages
    how would you say that imdb maintains their database & gets it to interact with their site webpages please??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You would have to ask them. It is unlikely you would be able to directly connect to the database.

You could try looking at their search page and see how it queries their database. But your going to get a page back.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

For starters you're probably better off not worrying too much about how imdb do theirs, you're probably going to have to do you own from scratch either way.

For starters you're going to have to learn some type of server side scripting, such as ASP or PHP. You will then write server-side scripts to read records from the database and display the relevant information and links. For example you could have one called character.asp that could

1. Find character record in database matching the id passed in the url
    2. Output characters name to top of page
    3. Output Characters picture
    4. Output Characters bio
    5. Output links to comics that character has been in

and a similar page for comics, it'll be pretty easy once you learn some form of server-side scripting. The type you should learn depends really on where the website is going to be hosted and what programming you've done already, it also depends to a degree on if you're willing to spend money on it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭²°°³webkev²°°³

great , thanks !!!!!

i have started doing the databse with xml, and will learn some server-side scripting to output the information

i shall let you know my progress many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Would these be of any help?
    Imdb's databases http://www.imdb.com/interfaces/
    Some cgi run on them http://www.cs.virginia.edu/oracle/how.html

Advertisement