Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Property Market 2020 Part 2

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

• Site Banned Posts: 149 ✭✭Iceman29

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

schmittel wrote: »
    I am not sure the demand for private debt will be rapidly falling - all those taking mortgage payment breaks is demand for new debt. And whilst they might not wish to take on further debt a lot of businesses will face the stark choice of whether to increase borrowings or close down.

Or are you just talking about in a private mortgage context that the demand will be rapidly falling?

Re private debt having rapidly fallen since the last crash, where are you getting those figures from? Most stats I have seen indicate the opposite.

im speaking as private debt in its entirety, not just in mortgage debt, apologies again, im confusing you, i mean the demand for private sector credit, which in turn becomes our debts, will now be rapidly falling, as demand in the private sector is currently rapidly declining. you ll find very few in the private sector as a whole, i.e. private sector businesses, industries and households etc, will have limited capacity of borrowing.

irelands overall private sector debt has been falling since the previous crash, as debts are being serviced, but globally, private sector debts have been rising, as you shown in your graph, and you are correct, this could mean trouble for us all, as all our economies, including our financial sectors, are connected, i.e. contagion is a strong possibility for our own financial sector

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

100,000 mortgages with BOI are on a Covid break till Sep.

Not many will be able to resume payments in Sep.

Humm...you don't know this though.

Anecdotally many people took the break regardless of whether they needed it or not. I considered it myself but decided against it.

SozBbz wrote: »

Anecdotally many people took the break regardless of whether they needed it or not. I considered it myself but decided against it.

theres a significant possibility that many will be unable to return to servicing their debts prior to covid, we potentially could be facing trouble here, but yes, nobody knows for sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

SozBbz wrote: »

I know a few people that considered it thinking that it was free money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

That article is from 2 years ago.

sorry wrong link

https://extra.ie/2020/07/30/news/irish-news/mortgage-war-spanish-bank

no such thing as free money for us lesser people, unfortunately, only if your a bank

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

fliball123 wrote: »

Wed, May 30, 2018, 06:30????????????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Its not free money (although Im also aware of people who thought that), but there can be a value in having moeny to use now and paying for it later - which is the basic premise of borrowing money - lots of people don't care about an extra bit of interest 20 years down the line if it gives them thousands in cash freed up today. Some people doing home improvements took it that I know of.

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    no such thing as free money for us lesser people, unfortunately, only if your a bank

Well if you weighing that option up to defer with the lefty leaning in this country the worst that will happen is you lose you job you stop paying the mortgage and get to live in the house for anywhere up to 10+ years (rent free) if you have lost a job and cant pay the mortgage your really not going to give a flying phuck if you owe 10/20k more at the end of the day.. This is a major chink in the armor of people looking for prices to drop due to people getting into trouble as they will not be turfed out, no government will do this as they will get crucified ergo supply will not be effected by mortgage problems or job losses not at a scale that people should expect in a recession. Also anyone who does lose a house via a repossession and/or a job lose they will go straight onto the housing list so while you gain a house you also lose one so the status quo remains.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I seen an article about that the other day. There is rumours that they will be offering mortgage rates of less than 2%. If so, that will be great for borrowers.

I seen an article about that the other day. There is rumours that they will be offering mortgage rates of less than 2%. If so, that will be great for borrowers.

I would imagine they will cherry pick the low hanging fruit

Well if you weighing that option up to defer with the lefty leaning in this country the worst that will happen is you lose you job you stop paying the mortgage and get to live in the house for anywhere up to 10+ years (rent free) if you have lost a job and cant pay the mortgage your really not going to give a flying phuck if you owe 10/20k more at the end of the day.. This is a major chink in the armor of people looking for prices to drop due to people getting into trouble as they will not be turfed out, no government will do this as they will get crucified ergo supply will not be effected by mortgage problems or job losses not at a scale that people should expect in a recession.

ah shur, housing is a mess, im still wondering when we ll grow up, and become bigger boys and girls, and accept, the market alone isnt actually capable or providing us with all of our needs, particularly housing

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Well if you weighing that option up to defer with the lefty leaning in this country the worst that will happen is you lose you job you stop paying the mortgage and get to live in the house for anywhere up to 10+ years (rent free) if you have lost a job and cant pay the mortgage your really not going to give a flying phuck if you owe 10/20k more at the end of the day.. This is a major chink in the armor of people looking for prices to drop due to people getting into trouble as they will not be turfed out, no government will do this as they will get crucified ergo supply will not be effected by mortgage problems or job losses not at a scale that people should expect in a recession.

People not getting turfed out has a direct impact on what risk banks are willing to take when deciding on who to offer mortgages to.

Yeah people can stay in their house without paying so that affects supply... But that also makes banks more wary about giving out mortgages, which affects demand.

brisan wrote: »
    I would imagine they will cherry pick the low hanging fruit

Well it will be a great option for a lot of people but what it will do is it will put pressure on the existing lenders to bring their rates down

People not getting turfed out has a direct impact on what risk banks are willing to take when deciding on who to offer mortgages to.

Yeah people can stay in their house without paying so that affects supply... But that also makes banks more wary about giving out mortgages, which affects demand.

which is why we have the highest interest rates in Europe

i think the higher interest rates are due to more worrying issues, are the banks actually losing confidence that they can withstand a significant economic shock!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Yep and it helps explain why banks have been so quick to rule out anyone on covid support.

You accept this affects demand?

Well it will be a great option for a lot of people but what it will do is it will put pressure on the existing lenders to bring their rates down

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/bank-of-ireland-to-cut-over-1-400-jobs-as-covid-19-drives-937m-loans-charge-1.4322469?mode=amp

I am not sure existing lenders are in any position to do that .
    Especially as they find it extremely difficult to repossess houses

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i think the higher interest rates are due to more worrying issues, are the banks actually losing confidence that they can withstand a significantly economic shock!

No we are the highest in Europe due to the fact that banks cannot directly take a house off a mortgage holder without jumping through years and years of litigation. I mean aren't the rest of Europe experiencing the same difficulties Ireland is we are all in a recession and Covid is there too. so the premium being paid is for this fact.

No we are the highest in Europe due to the fact that banks cannot directly take a house off a mortgage holder without jumping through years and years of litigation. I mean aren't the rest of Europe experiencing the same difficulties Ireland is we are all in a recession and Covid is there too. so the premium being paid is for this fact.

maybe both are true, i smell trouble ahead for our banks

[/B]

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/bank-of-ireland-to-cut-over-1-400-jobs-as-covid-19-drives-937m-loans-charge-1.4322469?mode=amp

I am not sure existing lenders are in any position to do that .
    Especially as they find it extremely difficult to repossess houses

Maybe , maybe not but hopefully a new player coming in will force a rethink look at how Aldi and Lidl have forced the mainstream stores like Dunnes and Tesco, etc to compete

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

;);)
    This is totally misleading, and needs to be understood in the context of inflation and interest rates. In all three recessions house prices fell in real terms and mortgage holders got thumped by interest rates.

1973-1976 - Inflation at about 25%, interest rates around 15%.

1980-81 - Inflation and interest rates were running at about 18%

1990-92 - "In the housing crash of the early 1990s house prices fell 20 per cent between 1989 and 1993." - The Times

This happened against a backdrop of inflation and interest rates that rose as high as 15% - "average prices fell by an inflation-adjusted 35 percent from their peak in 1989, according to data from property services firm CB Richard Ellis" - Reuters

Not even in boom/bust Ireland, could a 20% nominal, 35% real drop in house prices be considered a "small price decrease".

No doubt there will be some on here who would be happy to see rampant inflation, because they could flatter themselves that their 3 bed semi is still worth half a million.

But to quote Bass Reeves, they should be careful what they wish for.

Owning property is one of the best safe guards against inflation. Through the 70's and 80's inflation was always running at 3-5% minimum and often a 10%+. There was times of hyper inflation such as what you have highlighted above. But a home owner was better off even is paying higher interest than someone that was renting and waiting to buy. The home owner might be at the pin of his collar for a year or two but at the end he was way better off. As well during these time mortgage rates were 6-10%+ most of the time anyway. In general banks were mostly lending money that was on deposit so mortgage rates to borrowers seldom exceed 12% and above it was a kind of emergency rate. As well most house lending was from building societies not banks. Attached are a break down of interest rates from a google search it from building society association in the UK.

https://www.bsa.org.uk/BSA/files/5c/5c180498-5e52-4a41-b022-5821c25f3cbd.pdf

However as house prices were increasing the house owner was better off in real terms. Wages inflated as well so a house loan that was 30K on a house worth 35K after 5 years of inflation averaging 12% the house was worth 5%K+ wages would not match inflation but were maybe up 8%/year so were 40% higher. House owner if they managed repayments were heading towards a situation where there mortgage was only 50% of there house value.

But you still needed somewhere to live

Iceman29 wrote: »
    HaHaHa this is more of it. A fairy tale answer for everything. Where is you're evidence that will prove that it'll mostly be taken by people heading out the door anyway.

Any healthy place I've worked never offered "Voluntary redundancies " but a few unhealthy places I've working in have.....then, unfortunately they weren't voluntary and people let go.

But you must be right this time, I'm sure they were going to get rid of 1400 people just randomly.....haha

Up to the early 80's the banks recruited straight from schools after there leaving cert what was called a bank clerk. They entered with guaranteed conditions, payscale and pension plan. Bank clerks were the foundation level staff employment and you could rise to any level in the bank. Pay scale in today terms were about 25K to 80K approximetly. However social change caught the banks. Up until the early 80's women who married left on having children. Bank staff were regularly transferred between branches every 3-5 years and having to move 50+ mile was the geneall rule not the exception.

However from the mid 80's there was social change women no longer left on marriage and expecting employees to move was considered unfair work practice and tantamount to unfair dissmissal. Around taht time as well technology changed and banks needs less staff.

They reconfigured there cost base, gave the first VL deals to staff, started putting the older type clerks into area's like loan management branch managment etc and started to recruit lower paid staff for counter work. This has continued over the last 20 years along with branch closure's etc. However there is a core of about 10 years of these older bank clerks still around who can continue to work now virtually into there 70's.

The bank will pay well to get them out but it will be happy to pay them.

Slava Ukrainii

Maybe , maybe not but hopefully a new player coming in will force a rethink look at how Aldi and Lidl have forced the mainstream stores like Dunnes and Tesco, etc to compete

and hardly no negative effects on suppliers!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

;)

Up to the early 80's the banks recruited straight from schools after there leaving cert what was called a bank clerk. They entered with guaranteed conditions, payscale and pension plan. Bank clerks were the foundation level staff employment and you could rise to any level in the bank. Pay scale in today terms were about 25K to 80K approximetly. However social change caught the banks. Up until the early 80's women who married left on having children. Bank staff were regularly transferred between branches every 3-5 years and having to move 50+ mile was the geneall rule not the exception.

However from the mid 80's there was social change women no longer left on marriage and expecting employees to move was considered unfair work practice and tantamount to unfair dissmissal. Around taht time as well technology changed and banks needs less staff.

They reconfigured there cost base, gave the first VL deals to staff, started putting the older type clerks into area's like loan management branch managment etc and started to recruit lower paid staff for counter work. This has continued over the last 20 years along with branch closure's etc. However there is a core of about 10 years of these older bank clerks still around who can continue to work now virtually into there 70's.

The bank will pay well to get them out but it will be happy to pay them.

Indeed

and Francesca McDonagh didnt take the CEO role at 2nd tier bank not to make a wave, so she will be pushing through consolidation, cost rationalisation, systems changes etc in the hope her work gets her a crack at CEO in a larger institution in europe.

This is totally misleading, and needs to be understood in the context of inflation and interest rates. In all three recessions house prices fell in real terms and mortgage holders got thumped by interest rates.

1973-1976 - Inflation at about 25%, interest rates around 15%.

1980-81 - Inflation and interest rates were running at about 18%

1990-92 - "In the housing crash of the early 1990s house prices fell 20 per cent between 1989 and 1993." - The Times

This happened against a backdrop of inflation and interest rates that rose as high as 15% - "average prices fell by an inflation-adjusted 35 percent from their peak in 1989, according to data from property services firm CB Richard Ellis" - Reuters

Not even in boom/bust Ireland, could a 20% nominal, 35% real drop in house prices be considered a "small price decrease".

No doubt there will be some on here who would be happy to see rampant inflation, because they could flatter themselves that their 3 bed semi is still worth half a million.

But to quote Bass Reeves, they should be careful what they wish for.

I bought my first house in 1982 as a 4th year apprentice
    3 bed semi for 24500 pounds
    Borrowed 18k at 16.5 %
    Lads now complain about 3 or 4 % mortgages lol

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭RANIA

100,000 mortgages with BOI are on a Covid break till Sep.

Not many will be able to resume payments in Sep.

But if you have lost your job ate you not very unlikely to sell your house, knowing the bank won't give you another even smaller mortgage? Will people not just not pay and stay put?

Borrowed 18k at 16.5 %

...but we now live in a completely different world of high asset price inflation and low wage inflation, these situations simply cannot be compared

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Borrowed 18k at 16.5 %

How many 4th year apprentices do you think can buy 3 bed semi's today?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement