Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Official Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Internet acting up sorry if late Emmet McNamara wil stay all day long in the Derby 40/1

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭famagusta

Lads, Paddys and Boyles are now guaranteeing prices for multiples all day in all shops. They are obviously trying to increase turnover after the auld virus. Great news for us though... while it lasts!

Normally I would be doing a bit of study a day or two ahead, but with all the rain I feel it's a waste of time.
    I don't know if it's raining much in England, but out of the six meetings over there in the next two days not one of them
    has soft in the description.

Hopefully it does rain or keeps raining so come the weekend will at least have an idea, in advance, of conditions underfoot.

The going: out of all the reasons for backing a horse - going, course form, current form and lesser ones like trainer/jockey form,
    1st time in a handicap, gear applied for the first time, 1st/2nd run after a wind-op, goes well after an absence, change of surroundings
    ie new trainer, horses that go well at a particular time of year, or in season/with foal if they're fillies or mares etc, etc.. ;
    for me the going is paramount and is always in the top three reasons for backing a horse, very often in the one position.

Could do with some of the all weather tracks hosting a meeting or three..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,396 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Normally I would be doing a bit of study a day or two ahead, but with all the rain I feel it's a waste of time.
    I don't know if it's raining much in England, but out of the six meetings over there in the next two days not one of them
    has soft in the description.

Hopefully it does rain or keeps raining so come the weekend will at least have an idea, in advance, of conditions underfoot.

The going: out of all the reasons for backing a horse - going, course form, current form and lesser ones like trainer/jockey form,
    1st time in a handicap, gear applied for the first time, 1st/2nd run after a wind-op, goes well after an absence, change of surroundings
    ie new trainer, horses that go well at a particular time of year, or in season/with foal if they're fillies or mares etc, etc.. ;
    for me the going is paramount and is always in the top three reasons for backing a horse, very often in the one position.

Could do with some of the all weather tracks hosting a meeting or three..

Pìssing down all day here In Cheshire.

Pìssing down all day here In Cheshire.

:( Same here in the midlands in Eire.

Ta for the info. Will look at the map of England to see whereabouts Cheshire is to try and get some sort of an idea of surrounding areas/tracks.

Might have a look tomorrow and Thursday at the racecards with a view to finding a few on Friday - will be allowing for softer going than what will be in the description/s; unless I see a lot of good to soft or good to soft-soft in places I'll be taking all that good or good to firm going description with a pinch of salt :p

I think I'll just see what the weather is like here tomorrow and at the tracks on the TV tomorrow as well. I've little to no interest in backing at Irish meetings generally where most of them are probably on the soft side of good or yielding - yielding to soft in places; so it makes no difference to me if they have an up to date ground report.

Too much crookery here :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Darain.

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Darain.

Looks worth his price tag - 3.5 Million pounds is serious money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Looks worth his price tag - 3.5 Million pounds is serious money.

Absolutely. I'd say that win tonight has repaid every penny of the price tag.

Absolutely. I'd say that win tonight has repaid every penny of the price tag.

It's early days yet. Definitely a group 1 star in the making. Probably about 1/3 that he'll not earn his fee back in prizemoney during his racing career.

It's what comes after his racedays are over that counts with those kinds of readies.

I'm no judge but I feel he'll win several mid distance group races, maybe even a few Ascot Gold Cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

It's early days yet. Definitely a group 1 star in the making. Probably about 1/3 that he'll not earn his fee back in prizemoney during his racing career.

It's what comes after his racedays are over that counts with those kinds of readies.

I'm no judge but I feel he'll win several mid distance group races, maybe even a few Ascot Gold Cups.

More like 1/1000

• Advertisement

More like 1/1000

That's a bit harsh :pac:

Even if he stays in Europe he'd have a squeak.. Some serious prizemoney in Japan, UAE and America if and when he travels cross the oceans.

Granted this is all predicated on bullishness owing to his cost and recency bias with regards to the manner of his victory.

But to this poster he's going to be mentioned in the same breath as Yeats and Sea The Stars in about in the next 2-5 yrs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

There are less than 20 European horses in the history of the sport to earn more than 3.5 Million in their careers. I would say the true odds are just a little closer to 1/10000 than 1/3

Well I'm no odds compiler :pac:

I don't generally care about how horses fare in their racing careers outside of a punting perspective.

There are of course exceptions and - speaking strictly flatracing here - only about two come to mind that raced at a mile and beyond over the last 10 - 15 years that I would want to watch and win, even if I lost a bet myself.

Those two are Sea The Stars and Frankel.

I'm hoping the abovementioned is another.

There is the likes of Enable but she gets allowances. Also Stradivarius and Yeats but they are more long distance types.

So proper middle distance thoroughbreds is where it's really at for me.

I guess Frankel never pulled up too many trees beyond a mile which leaves Sea The Stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

1/3. Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

It was a 3yo Novice Stakes. I mean he could be anything but I'd certainly be waiting a couple of runs before even contemplating comparing him to the F or S words.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

could win a few gold cups after 1 run....seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Have any of the Irish trainers got the nickname Duckie??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Percy switched to GE.

Might actually get a decent prep now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

ASOT wrote: »
    Percy switched to GE.

Might actually get a decent prep now.

Interesting if GE can eek some improvement out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Opening verse 18.10 tipp has been contesting premier handicaps and listed races and is in a handicap off 78 today. She ran a great race last time out when a mile out the handicap. She's up against a field full of none that seem too obviously well treated. Ground is a bit of a concern but 22s is massive

• Advertisement

I thought Zoom Call was big at 8s here in Sligo. Seemed fancied enough first time out but travelled well and will improve.

Edit - you'd obviously like to see some market confidence in a Cooper shot and there's a drift, but still! :)

Nearly nabbed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Thursday at Tramore 1915 I'm on Charlottewells e/w...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

300-1!!!!! :eek:

maximo31 wrote: »
    300-1!!!!! :eek:

Dunno what's more surprising - a 300/1 winner, or the fact that there was a horse available at that price in an 'ordinary race' (mainly joking) :pac:

Only in the last 5-10 years have horses regularly gone off in all sorts of 'egg and spoon' races at greater than 100/1, to my mind anyway. It used to be only in the quality group races that there were often rags available at 150/1 plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Dunno what's more surprising - a 300/1 winner, or the fact that there was a horse available at that price in an 'ordinary race' (mainly joking) :pac:

Only in the last 5-10 years have horses regularly gone off in all sorts of 'egg and spoon' races at greater than 100/1, to my mind anyway. It used to be only in the quality group races that there were often rags available at 150/1 plus.

He wasn’t even the rank outsider. Think there was another that was 500/1.

No day thread but going for Alpine Star here in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Race of the season coming up.

Alpine for me too

Winner looks a serious tool.

• Advertisement

Fancy Enable today.

Advertisement