Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Cinema getting started

• 04-08-2020 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭

Considering getting some kind of home cinema system but the amount of different set ups and information out there can be a bit difficult to get your head around for a complete newcomer.

I've got a 75" Phillips Ambilight 4k TV. It has only 3 HDMI ports - hooked up to it I have a Sky Q Box, a PS4, and then various other games consoles and a Raspberry Pi hooked up to the final HDMI slot through a switch adaptor. The PS4 is the only 4k input right now, but I fully expect to get the new set of games consoles coming out later this year.

So gaming is a big use case for me. I'm not an audiophile or cinema buff. I won't be turning the volume up particularly high as the neighbours will hear through the wall. I won't be watching uncompressed Bluray movies, only things on Sky, Disney Plus and Netflix (we do have 1GBps internet though so streaming services are high quality)

What I do want is something that ups the sound quality over what the TV has, and I'd like surround sound as I imagine it has practical improvements when playing games and hearing stuff behind you. Ideally I'd like to run everything through a box so I'm not messing around with HDMI switches so much, but nothing that would introduce latency. Ideally I'd want to keep it simple with wireless speakers rather than running cables everywhere too. I'm not particularly price sensitive, within reason.

Would anyone recommend a good starting point?

Comments

Advertisement