Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Government looking to force landlords to upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Says commercial properties

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Varik wrote: »
    Says commercial properties
    read the article

Says: “ Landlords with residential lettings could have to choose between upgrading to a minimum BER and compensating their tenants for higher heating bills under what is termed a 'cost balancing arrangement'.”

So in the same week they are proposing a rent freeze, they propose this. Shows they haven’t a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭Varik

ted1 wrote: »
    read the article

Says: “ Landlords with residential lettings could have to choose between upgrading to a minimum BER and compensating their tenants for higher heating bills under what is termed a 'cost balancing arrangement'.”

So in the same week they are proposing a rent freeze, they propose this. Shows they haven’t a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

read the article

Apparently the tenant vote is stronger. The landlord's are easy targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

Should the standard not be the same as council house standards required under EU directives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

mickuhaha wrote: »
    Should the standard not be the same as council house standards required under EU directives.

so council houses are not very high BER. What is the council standard ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

so council houses are not very high BER. What is the council standard ?

Minimal rental standards should be the same across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭The Student

https://m.independent.ie/news/environment/landlords-could-be-forced-to-retrofit-their-properties-under-new-proposals-38758892.html

I like this quote from the minister, ah no landlords will not welcome having to spend thousands more on their properties.

Improved properties will be welcome for tenants and landlords alike because they will result in improved living conditions, better health outcomes and enhanced asset value. The environmental impact will be significant, with lower energy bills and lower emissions."

if this is forced in I will be leaving the sector. I refuse to upgrade properties until I can recoup the costs and the landlord protection is improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Mitzy

if this is forced in I will be leaving the sector. I refuse to upgrade properties until I can recoup the costs and the landlord protection is improved.

I doubt you will be the only one. The sector is hemorrhaging one off landlords at the moment and this will be the final blow to many I expect.

Maybe that's the plan. Force small landlords to sell up. Larger landlords or buyers will move in and buy. Easier to make large landlords to comply with these sort of regulations then.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

This will force a lot of landlord's to sell what they have, because there's no profits in it now.

Its loose loose for one off landlord's, win win for the vultures..

Id say there's going to be a lot of anxiety on the road this morning if these misfortunes were listening to the news, sucked into the money in bricks and mortar delusion.

Anything that sounds like easy money isn't....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

100% I will follow suit.
    I have a well built 2006 house. Timber frame, easily heated (it was my PPR for 12 years) and up to current standards. Flew through the recent Inspections by the LA also.

I maintain it well, I look after the tenants in place since 2015.
    If I'm forced to put any significant money into it, i'll sell.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

"consultant suggested as an option" does not mean "government looking to" - at least not directly

This is effectively unimplementable and if they did bring it in and figure out a way to enforce it it would have an even more severe impact than the bedsit ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Meh, paper never refused ink! That just sounds like a think tank, like possible Budget proposals. None of this has come to pass. As the FULL article states they are looking at ideas and this is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

Yep, I'd say it's to get landlords to sell. More houses on the market for the renting population, and decreases the number of landlords who are getting away with not declaring rental income. Large vulture companies are easier to regulate than the man on the street with an extra house or two.

CPTM wrote: »
    Yep, I'd say it's to get landlords to sell. More houses on the market for the renting population, and decreases the number of landlords who are getting away with not declaring rental income. Large vulture companies are easier to regulate than the man on the street with an extra house or two.
    That would be cuckoos. Vultures buy and sell on!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Yet another thread where people are wishing for large institutional Landlords. You really couldn't make this stuff up.

How is a LL supposed to upgrade an apartment btw? Other than replace the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

Pretty sure the sky high rents at the moment would cover your costs.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

guyfo wrote: »

The sky high rents are being driven by large REITs targeting luxury rentals. The actual rents being charged by 'legacy' LLs is much lower as can be seen by the RTB figures. Regardless there is very little liquid cash in renting and therefore people will simply sell up in many cases pushing more people into €2000 a month luxury rentals, but hey at least they wont have to run the heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

we have an 70's bungalow which we have got from an F to a c2 i seriously doubt i can do much more to it without tossing it and rebulding it.

tenants always say how easy it is to heat

(certainly a lot lot easier than my 19 century property :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Yet another thread where people are wishing for large institutional Landlords. You really couldn't make this stuff up.

How is a LL supposed to upgrade an apartment btw? Other than replace the windows.

They can insulate internally or have the entire block upgraded with external insulation with the management company agreement. Improve the heaters, lighting, water heater etc..

It is possible just not very practical or easy.

I have already upgrade my property when the grant system for insulation came in as it was less restrictive. Originally it was by household so the property having 3 flats meant 3 grants. They changed it to per property. It was actually cheaper then than getting my own house done.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Windows may not be easy to do either because they would have to look exaxtly the same as all the others in the block.

Windows may not be easy to do either because they would have to look exaxtly the same as all the others in the block.
    Not exactly. We have a stipulation - white, that and the common sense of owners. Most replaced windows look very similar.

CPTM wrote: »

Are vultures/cuckoo funds really interested in single properties that are not up to the regulations.

I thought they only want Multi unit developments.

Are vultures/cuckoo funds really interested in single properties that are not up to the regulations.

I thought they only want Multi unit developments.
    Multiples and that has a place as well in a normal functioning rental market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭The Student

What happens when the tenant is not paying rent for a year and cant evict them
    and even if and when you do get them out you dont see any money for the months they were there but you are left to pay the mortgage. Is the "rent" still covering the costs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I've been very critical of the RPZ in the past due to the way in which one landlord is empowered to charge a much higher rent than the landlord of an identical neighbouring property for no reason other than the fact that they had been taking the piss in the first place with rent hikes that created the need for the RPZ legislation.

If you're going to to do rent control, do it right. Create an index of rent in a €/sq.m and add in a BER adjusment, all of this information is included in RTB registrations.

Restructure the tax on rental income to be based on percentiles of this index to hurt the cohort of landlords who lead the charge to higher rents.

Sky high rents, with 52% of that rent going in taxes. It’s the government or are making the money

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Sky high rents, with 52% of that rent going in taxes. It’s the government or are making the money

That's what the plan all along was, they've the best actuaries in the world...

Fool's and their money are easily parted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

15-11-19:
    I suspect you will see more investors leaving the market to avail of the cgt exemptions and escape the onerous landlord/tenant legislation.

5-11-19:
    Yes previous generations were able to rent and save to buy, but this was in times when the population was smaller, the rental standards were lower. The Govt is playing to the populist vote of trying to house people but not via the state which is one of the reasons the small private landlords are leaving the market.

24-10-19:
    The result landlords leave the market, a property that was housing for example four adults is sold to a couple as their first property. So now we have two less bed spaces to rent. So in a time where supply is not meeting demand the Govt forces some landlords to leave the market and as a result a reduction in bed spaces.

16-10-19:
    Using your sentiment of all landlords will eventually leave the market then the same can be said for tenants who either buy a property or are housed by the State.

20-9-19:
    Have you ever asked yourself if being a landlord was easy money why are individual landlords leaving the market in their droves.

29-7-19:
    With the ongoing anti landlord stance and the constantly changing "goal posts" expect to see increasing numbers of landlords exiting the market.

Getting back to the topic of the thread landlords will continue to leave the market because of the taxation and the govt approach to them. Will be interesting if they change there approach following the release of these findings from the RTB. 2019 figs will be most interesting.

30-5-19:
    On the contrary with the numbers of landlords leaving the market I would suggest that the policy is working. I would however urge caution to the Govt. Unless they review the treatment of private landlords they risk more leaving the sector to be replaced by institutional landlords.

15-5-19:
    This was initially designed to catch unregistered landlords for tax purposes. The Govt know there are landlords out there not registered for tax and are afraid if they go after them they will exit the market leaving more people looking for accommodation.

10-4-19:
    We already have a large amount of protection for tenants and you now want more. What exactly do you think will happen if you bring rent caps in. Private landlords will just leave the market and tenants will be left at the mercy of institutional landlords.

25-10-18:
    Why do you think small landlords are leaving the sector if it was easy money?

11-10-18:
    There are both good and bad tenants and landlords. What you find is that those of us who actually abide by the rules get mixed with those who don't. The term Landlord is toxic these days, you would swear you were the devil himself. Unless both bad tenants and landlords are driven from the sector you run the risk of only having bad landlords and fair landlords like myself (at least I consider myself a fair landlord) will leave the market because of the anti landlord stance and legislation.

5-10-18:
    Based on my observations and those in the media small landlords are leaving the market and are not being replaced. If the laws of economics were to work in the normal fashion then there would be an increase in landlords entering the market rather than a decrease.

3-10-18:
    Option 2 will allow purchasers compete with landlords on future purchases. As it stands current renters will never be able to save a deposit and will be stuck renting forever. If landlords leave where will the existing tenants live when the property is sold due to the anti landlord stance.

22-9-18:
    Keep up with the anti landlord stance and see how many landlords leave the market.

4-9-18:
    Landlords are leaving the sector because of the tax charges and the anti landlord stances the govt have taken. Prsonallt I would not trust the govt as they will change position whenever it suits them. I think this maybe a little to late for a lot of landlords. The number of ex rentals going onto the sales market is quite high.

19-4-18:
    Based on whats being discussed on boards expect an increasing number of landlords leaving the sector. This will do nothing other than take bed spaces out of the rental market making it even more difficult to find accommodation.

5-4-18:
    In some instances you are seen as "fill in" money but not always. Landlords might take a longer term view if the Govt stopped interfering in the sector. A property is a long term business venture but the constant changes the Govt is making not least the Anti Landlord stance they have adopted is one of the main reasons landlords are leaving the sector.

22-3-18:
    I would have to agree with you on this. Expect more landlords to leave the market.

9-2-18:
    I certainly can!

Suffice to say expect an increased exit from the market if any additional taxes/charges are levied. I would rather let me relatives live rent free in the property than pay anymore tax. I am being crucified with tax and all the costs associated with being a landlord.

22-12-17:
    Expect it to get worse. There are a lot of investors who bought in 2011 & 2012 who can avail of the exemption of capital gains tax after 7 years. These investors are only waiting to exit the market.

3-11-17:
    Maybe if the govt treated the small landlords like the REITS then they would not be leaving the sector.
    Exactly. Good news does not sell papers. This is exactly why landlords are leaving in their droves. And I will be one of them as soon as my current tenants decide to leave. I will be sorry to see them go but I am not willing to take a risk on new ones.

Would you ever just get on with it then?

Advertisement