Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tree stump left after tree felling

Options
  • 05-12-2019 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭

I am not sure this is the correct forum for this query but the county council cut down a lob sided tree on the footpath outside the house and they left a big unsightly stump behind. Would anyone know do they usually come back another day and grind this down and remove it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I think they're obliged to come back and remove the stump by whatever means is the most appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

They came back and dug out the stumps on our road

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how much of a stump did they leave behind?
    i've heard of cases of them leaving a stump of 3 or 4 foot, the local explanation was it was safer to do this than one of one foot tall as it was more visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Our roadside tree was felled in Storm Ophelia ( 2017?). I notified the council and the debris was cleared within days but an 18inch stump was left. I messaged them a few times since and eventually said it was a trip hazard. It was removed about two months ago by way of chainsaw of trunk and grinding down of roots. Now I will message them to say I would like a replacement, hopefully next tree planting season in March. I would prefer the Council replace the tree as we planted the original one 38 yrs ago and was not the healthiest one from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭billyhead

The stump is a bout 3-4 foot. I have been told that they have to wait for between 1 years to 3 years for the root to degrade:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

It will degrade a lot quicker with stump removed. Our stump was sprouting new growth. Perhaps there needs a time lapse from when stump/roots are dealt with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

billyhead wrote: »
    The stump is a bout 3-4 foot. I have been told that they have to wait for between 1 years to 3 years for the root to degrade:mad:

You were told a lie ... keep onto them as the stump can be ground down straight away. Who told you that?

Advertisement