Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The €3,000 per month luxury welfare apartments

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I’m starting to think why don’t I just stop paying tax and go it alone. Start my own government and write my own proclamation.

They are taking the absolute pizza these days. Surely they should spend 800 000 on a guilotine.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭winter2019

This is insane, they’re literally 10 metres from the door of dundrum shopping center. 300 metres from a luas stop. Every amenity on offer on their doorstep.
    How can they council justify this ? I’ve watched these being built. They’re extremely high end and well finished apartments.

The working man and woman are the fools in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Fcucking depraved. I Iive in this area. Used to rent an apartment nearby with a mate that are now over two thousand a month !!! They have enough bloody council land in the area. Is this April first ? Because I thought it was the 30/11/19!!! So on a three k apartment, their “ rent “ will be 150 a month ?! Would cover the bloody management fee alone , which of course they don’t pay!!

Will the council employ people to wipe the asses of people living there too ?

I take it the poor working fools working in Dundrum , will pay to commute on the **** transport here. While the council tenants can swan off to Dundrum town centre , buying **** with the free money they get. What a life of stress!!! Guaranteed income , luxury apartments...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

getting one of those apartments for 50 per week or whatever it is...the equivalent of winning the lotto

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

That's the Fine Gael way. Give public money to private entities and own nothing instead of investing the money and acquiring assets for public ownership.

Far too many landlords in Leinster Housu influencing public policy for their own benefit.

• Advertisement

This is a real two fingers to the working hard pressed people in dun Laoghaire rathdown. Shows how far removed the council are from reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I’d say these funds have a lot of shell companies who invest in them.

I’d say finding out who these owners were would bring down a government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

winter2019 wrote: »
    300 metres from a luas stop.

Meanwhile, working people are commuting from Wexford.

That's the Fine Gael way. Give public money to private entities and own nothing instead of investing the money and acquiring assets for public ownership.

Far too many landlords in Leinster Housu influencing public policy for their own benefit.

How many people getting this lottery win are fg voters? Non. And fg said they’d look after the early risers ? ive a feeling its the early risers paying for this obscenity. I now truly understand why there is a need for such an obscene rate of marginal tax rate over a pittance of an income !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Crazy decision to do this in the first place, and after that craziness, even more crazy to sign up to a deal that will cost more to rent over 25 years that it would cost to just buy outright.

Deal should be looked at with a fine tooth comb to see if there are any conflicts of interests anywhere.

• Advertisement

Meanwhile, working people are commuting from Wexford.

utter insanity

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭PeasantHater

This is completely unacceptable, I'm trying to buy a property about 1km from this development, which, after the life of the mortgage is going to work out at over 800k.

How is it right that the majority of untermensch that will be housed here can bang out a load of kids and have 3k a month rent essentially for free????

My wife and I would love to have kids but due to the housing situation we currently can't afford to do so, might have to wait a few years until we save up enough.

I can't stand this swamp of a country that allows pond life to live off the hard workers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Am I reading this right ?
    Social housing at a cost of 632k a unit , obviously that’s an average so some of these could be 1million !
    Yes equivalent of winning the lotto !
    Were some fools in this country !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I don't get the maths. These sold for 632,000 a unit (55m/87) and are now being leased for 3,000/month, which is 36,000/year, over 25 years which is 900,000/apartment...?

Why wouldn't the council have been able to buy them outright initially?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There should be actual protests by workers at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Idbatterim wrote: »
    How many people getting this lottery win are fg voters? Non. And fg said they’d look after the early risers ? ive a feeling its the early risers paying for this obscenity. I now truly understand why there is a need for such an obscene rate of marginal tax rate over a pittance of an income !!!

They don't care who ends up living in them. It's who gets the money that counts.

8-10 wrote: »
    I don't get the maths. These sold for 632,000 a unit (55m/87) and are now being leased for 3,000/month, which is 36,000/year, over 25 years which is 900,000/apartment...?

Why wouldn't the council have been able to buy them outright initially?

The other question is are these high end apartments the type that should be purchased for welfare recipients at all?

I'd argue no. Grossly unfair in my opinion.

They’re actively deleting posts from anyone who comments on their Facebook post announcing this.

They’re delighted to announce.. would turn your stomach.

“We are delighted to announce the delivery of 87 new, A-rated #homes in #Dundrum. These homes are being provided under the terms of an Enhanced Long-Term Lease Agreement.

Further information: http://ow.ly/jfpV50xnTNF“

• Registered Users Posts: 20,890 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Bet you'll still have the left alliance playing the poor mouth on people's behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Not everyone on the housing lists are non-working.
    I'd love to see if there are any stats/breakdown of who is on the lists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭randomspud

Some country we have.

Declare yourself and your scatter of children homeless and get put up in a lovely hotel free of charge until we can sort you out with a luxury flat that you pay a pittance for every month.

It bonkers that people aren't taking to the streets about this nonsense.

randomspud wrote: »
    a luxury flat that you pay a pittance for every month
    a pittance taken from the free cash you collect in the post office every week.

anything got for nothing won’t be minded either!

After 5 years in college and 10 years working in a good job could u consider looking for a 25 year mortgage for the ordinary person . That’s a total of 40 years at least working for something of that grandeur .

And more people just have to get pregnant , here’s the keys !

Just unbelievable why we employ people to oversee spending our money like this !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭randomspud

a pittance taken from the free cash you collect in the post office every week.

Christmas bonus for them next week as well!

I've never once got any kind of extra money from my job in the nearly 20 years i've been working there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Earthsnotflat

What people? Some are just well enough off so don't care, others working poor (those 'fortunate' enough to earn above all welfare threshold who get no support even if their income is being eaten by high cost of living) so no time and energy for this, and the rest welfare recipients who weather working or not are topped up by benefits so no interest in changing status quo.
    That's very frustrating but I can't see what can be done personally other than emigrating, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

I genuinely cant believe this...

Please do like myself and report it:

https://www.ombudsman.ie/making-a-complaint/make-a-complaint/

It is better than nothing

neil_hosey wrote: »

There’s probably no one accountable like the printer !
    And like overrun on children’s hospital!

Some country we have.

Declare yourself and your scatter of children homeless and get put up in a lovely hotel free of charge until we can sort you out with a luxury flat that you pay a pittance for every month.

The Margaret Cash thing opened a lot of people's eyes to the absolute pee take that is the welfare system.

It's a national scandal against workers in the country.

If you are renting or paying your mortgage in this area you have every right to be furious.

It's not the social housing in itself - it's the luxury nature of it combined with the location and the cost.

It's another belt in the face to hard pressed workers and gravy for welfare recipients.

It is immoral and it is wrong.

• Advertisement

neil_hosey wrote: »

Thanks for this. Going to fill it out shortly. Like I said , I live in this area. I know working people living out of garages etc and this **** gets rubbed in their face ? Those councilor rats , I’ll post up the email address here shortly. I think it’s worthwhile taking out paid ad in paper or on social media in the area to highlight this scandal and put the councilors names on it

Advertisement