Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

old loyalties, reconsideration.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Stoner wrote: »

I still remember my friend laughing when he saw how you had to stop the tape deck on the spectrum.

yeah having to mash the keys together because there was no dedicated stop button, totally forgot that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,794 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've heard it said the c64 is a better machine but the spec cy had the better games

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've heard it said the c64 is a better machine but the spec cy had the better games

Not really.

The C64 had everything going for it, bar the resolution, which was mostly lower than the Speccy.
    When the Spectrum was shifting things about on screen, usually in some clever colour/mono graphics work, it was very impressive.

But the smoother scrolling and sprite handling as well as the SID chip doing sonic duties made the C64 amazing.

I had the Speccy originally but got the C64 much later and loved it, but never had the childhood connection others did.

But, considering rivalries
    NeoGeo Pocket Color trounces the Gameboy Color

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Spectrum vs C64 is a dead heat

Was it though?

C64 came with it's own tape deck AFAIK.

Speccy you had to purchase it separate before the 128k+

The amount of games on C64 compared to speccy

I'm sure there's tons more reasons the C64 was superior

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

limnam wrote:

Built in joystick ports, no need to map different interfaces
    Speach in games

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Quigs Snr wrote:
    Megadrive won the next round for me. Mostly for Mortal Kombat and Micromachines, whilst my brother went SNES for Mario and Street Fighter.

Just on that.

I loved micromachines in the MD.

I think I've 6 different micromachines games, I love the carts with the extra two joypad ports for 4 player

However the 4 player via sharing a controller on the SNES was great fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,794 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Micro machines was on the SNES.

And as for mortal kombat, it was never a good game.

Stoner wrote: »

I think I've 6 different micromachines games, I love the carts with the extra two joypad ports for 4 player

Ah yes,
    Micromachines 98 Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament with the Jcart.
    The only game I still have CIB from when i was younger.
    I seem to remember you could use 4 pads with 8 players.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,392 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Micro machines was on the SNES.

No J cart though so immediately inferior :D

o1s1n wrote: »
    No J cart though so immediately inferior :D

Better version as well discounting the j-cart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

limnam wrote: »
    Was it though?

Originally the C64 tape deck had to be purchased separately, on top of the considerably more expensive bread bin, and if it fupped up, you had to buy another expensive datacorder from Commodore, which again, much more expensive than standard. A Spectrum will load from virtually any cassette player you have/had in the house. I know which I'd prefer.

Oh, and pedant mode on, You had to purchase it separate before the PLUS 2. The 128k toastrack, or 128k+ still took any tape player you might want.

I'm sure there's kilograms more reasons why the Spectrum is superior to the c64. :pac:

Honestly though, I'd happily have both now. Lots of great games for both, terrible games for both, but as a youngster, unless you were lucky to have parents who were a bit flush, the Speccy was THE machine, games cheaper too. Class war comrade, the speccy was the machine of the masses and Eastern bloc and Brasil, Spain and Portugal.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Originally the C64 tape deck had to be purchased separately, on top of the considerably more expensive bread bin, and if it fupped up, you had to buy another expensive datacorder from Commodore, which again, much more expensive than standard. A Spectrum will load from virtually any cassette player you have/had in the house. I know which I'd prefer.

Oh, and pedant mode on, You had to purchase it separate before the PLUS 2. The 128k toastrack, or 128k+ still took any tape player you might want.

I'm sure there's kilograms more reasons why the Spectrum is superior to the c64. :pac:

Honestly though, I'd happily have both now. Lots of great games for both, terrible games for both, but as a youngster, unless you were lucky to have parents who were a bit flush, the Speccy was THE machine, games cheaper too. Class war comrade, the speccy was the machine of the masses and Eastern bloc and Brasil, Spain and Portugal.

For me the speccy's rubber keyboard was the major attraction :pac:

I've a feeling most C64 users got into the console late once the C64 price had dropped to reasonable levels where it could compete with the speccy. The early 80's were all about the spectrum as the price was far better than the C64. I know I got my C64 xmas 90 or 91.

For me the speccy's rubber keyboard was the major attraction :pac:

Dead flesh as they say, weird how it never caught on more. Such a usable keyboard*

*May not be true.

I've a feeling most C64 users got into the console late once the C64 price had dropped to reasonable levels where it could compete with the speccy. The early 80's were all about the spectrum as the price was far better than the C64. I know I got my C64 xmas 90 or 91.

Console? Wash your whore mouth out. ;)

The C64 was a computer, as the wiki amusingly puts it, one of the top two best selling 8 bit computers of the era in the UK.

Or as I'd put it, the second best selling computer, the 2nd best, the 2nd best.........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

BITD my cousin swapped Eternal champions for Gunstar Heroes with his neighbour :D

To be honest Eternal Champions was a very good game. Not that Gunstar Heroes isn't, but as a kid, I'd have chosen EC 10 times out of 10 over Gunstar. I played Eternal Champions again recently and it wasn't just nostalgia googles either, it is a solid beat em up.

Homelander wrote: »
    To be honest Eternal Champions was a very good game. Not that Gunstar Heroes isn't, but as a kid, I'd have chosen EC 10 times out of 10 over Gunstar. I played Eternal Champions again recently and it wasn't just nostalgia googles either, it is a solid beat em up.

Maybe but we HATED it when we were kids.
    Also we didnt know about 6button pads (we were 9) :rolleyes:

It's not bad.

But it's not Gunstar Heroes.

Master of the Universe

Don't forget Alien Soldier. Everyone always forgets Alien Soldier :(

(still better than Gunstar Heroes IMO!)

I could never get into Alien Soldier. It seems to flow great once you know the bosses but if you don't it can be a slog until you get better. I also find it really stressful that you need to keep weapons topped up using the counter move.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I never enjoyed Gunstar, though I now own it... and I still don't enjoy it!

My MD hosted, mostly, the likes of Virtua Racing, Thunderforce III and IV, as well as Road Rash/2/3.
    Over the years more shmups and more goodness has been bought, even in this era of Everdrives on every street corner there's still a delight to be had with a tangible cart of some classic, or series.
    It's probably my favourite 16 bit console of them all, doesn't mean I don't love the Snes but the MD just has some mix of the Japanese/American/European content that the Snes didn't attract.
    I imagine it is down to the Amiga software devs making the jump more easily to the MD, bringing Worms and Chaos Engine over pretty quickly.

Master of the Universe

I could never get into Alien Soldier. It seems to flow great once you know the bosses but if you don't it can be a slog until you get better. I also find it really stressful that you need to keep weapons topped up using the counter move.

Yeah it's one of those games you just need to spend a bit of time with and learn the weapons system until it becomes second nature. Once you do it's really an incredible game. With all the bosses you can almost think of it as a weird 2d shmup/Dark Souls mashup :D

I haven't played it properly now in a few years. If I remember correctly, before I even started playing, I'd change the control setup to strafing mode immediately as the default. Then make sure you always have the lance weapon (sometimes in both slots) as it makes minced meat of bosses.

The dash attack is also super important too. if I remember correctly, it massacres bosses if your charge bar stays full and flashing.

Kind of want to give it a go now this evening. Used to almost be able to finish it on one credit, probably won't even get passed the first boss now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Snap. 1990 for me although a rich friend had one since 1985 that came with some compilation called softaid that we eventually wore out the tape on.

Master of the Universe

That actually makes sense as my cousin got a Speccy around 89/90 as a hand me down. The original owner must have upgraded to a c64 :D

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Snap. 1990 for me although a rich friend had one since 1985 that came with some compilation called softaid that we eventually wore out the tape on.

Softaid was out on the three big machines at the time, the C64 and the Speccy.
    It was a great collection of games, well worth owning.
    Due to its charity based nature it was the least pirated cassette on those systems!

Brilliant line up on the host systems

Spectrum
    • Spellbound
    • Starbike
    • Kokotoni Wilf
    • The Pyramid (video game)
    • Horace Goes Skiing
    • Gilligan's Gold
    • Ant Attack
    • 3d Tank Duel
    • Jack and the Beanstalk
    • Sorcery

C64
    • Gumshoe
    • Beamrider
    • Star Trader
    • Kokotoni Wilf
    • China Miner
    • Gilligan's Gold
    • Fred
    • Gyropod
    • Falcon Patrol
    • Flak

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Softaid was out on the three big machines at the time, the C64 and the Speccy.
    It was a great collection of games, well worth owning.
    Due to its charity based nature it was the least pirated cassette on those systems!

Brilliant line up on the host systems

Spectrum
    • Spellbound
    • Starbike
    • Kokotoni Wilf
    • The Pyramid (video game)
    • Horace Goes Skiing
    • Gilligan's Gold
    • Ant Attack
    • 3d Tank Duel
    • Jack and the Beanstalk
    • Sorcery

C64
    • Gumshoe
    • Beamrider
    • Star Trader
    • Kokotoni Wilf
    • China Miner
    • Gilligan's Gold
    • Fred
    • Gyropod
    • Falcon Patrol
    • Flak

Ah.. gumshoe was great. And fred although surpassed by rick dangerous later was great fun too.. shame i could never jump that last quicksand pit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

This is a...bit :D of a funny one for me.

Long story short, I grew up with a Commodore 64...and as a kid I thought it was pure and utter cr@p. A stance on which I made a 180 degrees turn when, as an adult, I discovered just how much of a revolutionary machine it was and for how long it remained significant in a market that, by nature, moves very quickly.

The reasons for my childhood stance were pretty much two:

- Software availability: in Italy, you'd find "compilation tapes", 100% pure pirate stuff, with 10-20 games sold by newsagents for pocket money (average price around what would today be 5 Euro). They were pretty much the only source of games - "big box" games were sold in computer and toy stores, but almost nobody bought them - we simply didn't know the difference. Obviously, the compilation nature of these pirate tapes made it so that simpler, single-load, small games were over-represented. In brief, muck. Bigger games were often modified and/or butchered to fit the tape with 9 other games. Have a look here if you're curious about these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1xuaC4jEx8

- Culture: see, in primary school pretty much nobody had a computer and there was little to no talk about "videogames". Then the other kids started getting Nintendo, Sega and Amiga hardware; A minority even had access to MS-DOS PCs. So when talk about games started spreading, we were already in the dawn years of te C64 (1990-1994) and every time...pretty much everyone made it a special task to relentlessly sh1t on my C64.

And that's it - the poor Commodore was pretty much the worst ever in the eyes of 10-years-old-me.

One very representative moment of all the above came when in 5th grade, circa 1989, a friend tells me he absolutely needs to show me this phenomenal Formula 1 game his dad had on their PC (IIRC it was a 286, Olivetti of course!). So we go to his office, my friend fires up Accolade's Grand Prix Circuit...and it IS phenomenal indeed! The graphics! The "realism"! Cars that actually look like the real ones (at least in the selection screen...)! Qualifying and a real race with positions!!!

I was mesmerized...but also really sad, my "sh1tty" C64 could never, ever, ever play a game like that. I went home, loaded Pole Position with its generic cars, generic tracks and no actual race, and despaired at how hopeless it was.

What I didn't know back then was that the same Grand Prix Circuit had a Commodore 64 release, which you couldn't find on the pirate newsagent tapes due to its complex multi load nature.

What I also didn't know was that the C64 version was actually the BETTER of the two - a bit slower, sure, but not that far off graphically, with much better sound and most importantly, features that were completely missing in the PC version, such as different colours cockpits depending on the player's car and bumps on tracks...

...and separate to that.. on the C64 Rick Dangerous, The Last Ninja, Turrican, Microprose Soccer, Action Biker, Jump Man (anyone remember that?), creatures, impossible mission, boulderdash, ik+, bubble bobble, new zealand story, rainbow islands, mayhem in monsterland, rtype, zak mckracken etc..

Spectrum was great, but it was just a tesco value C64 if you ask me. (Although of course as a collector i dont discriminate and have several flavours of all of them)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Was it though?

It’s really a close call between the spectrum and the c64.

I’ll put it this way.

If you told me I could I could only have ever played one machine and I had to erase one from my gaming life then I would give up gaming.

Both computers had magic. Both exposed my generation to a wonderful world of fun. And both exposed a generation of future IT professionals into what the future could hold.

And btw some Tesco value products are quite nice.

Although I’d consider the spectrum to be Lidl value

The Oric-1 was Tesco cheap beans :D

• Advertisement

Yep, reminds me of trying Barbarians on the spectrum having played IK2 on the Atari ST

On another note, my first company car was a Lexus IS200 in 2000.

I drove the new car for a week, had to drive my old 96 Astra up to a buyer.

I got out to see what was wrong with the car, thought the hand break was jammed on it was so slow

Going back down a level seems like a bigger jump that going up one as they say.

The two experiences were identical.

As was playing command and conquer again after a 3 year break. It turned in Minecraft graphics

Advertisement