Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catatracts and oclular pressure

• 21-07-2019 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭

I went for an eye test on Friday and they found cataracts in both my eyes and pressure in my left eye, have an appointment with my GP in two weeks, getting headaches a lot. I am 47 , should I be worried. Is the surgery painful? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,190 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

alie wrote: »
    I went for an eye test on Friday and they found cataracts in both my eyes and pressure in my left eye, have an appointment with my GP in two weeks, getting headaches a lot. I am 47 , should I be worried. Is the surgery painful? Thanks.

I presume the surgery you refer to is to remove the cataracts? if so,
    I had cataract treatment three months ago and am waiting to have the other eye done. I had option of either local or general anaesthetic and opted for general. I had absolutely no pain or discomfort in my eye whatsoever after the surgery and was able leave the hospital after a few hours with no need anymore to wear glasses.

I take it you are also being referred to an ophthalmologist who examine your eyes in more detail and explain the procedure to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Thanks so much, The GP will have to refer me, hopefully wont be waiting too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭holliehobbie

Very surprised you were offered a general for a procedure that takes minutes! I had one cataract removed (local anaesthesia) last year. The easiest recovery with no pain whatsoever. And I had all 4 wisdom teeth extracted, 2 c-sections, root canal, TAH and parathyroid surgeries so no stranger to painful operations! The anaesthesist did give me some IV sedation which wears off quite quickly. I'm having the other eye done in a few months.

Very surprised you were offered a general for a procedure that takes minutes! I had one cataract removed (local anaesthesia) last year. The easiest recovery with no pain whatsoever. And I had all 4 wisdom teeth extracted, 2 c-sections, root canal, TAH and parathyroid surgeries so no stranger to painful operations! The anaesthesist did give me some IV sedation which wears off quite quickly. I'm having the other eye done in a few months.

I have Nuclear Sclerosis Cataracts, Not sure what they are.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭holliehobbie

Nuclear sclerosis is the most common type of cataract.

• Advertisement

Nuclear sclerosis is the most common type of cataract.

Yes very common in over 60,s , not so much and to be as severe as mine in people in their 40, s

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

It depends on the complexity of the surgery - not all cataract ops are created equal. My surgeon recommended GA.

Recovery in my case was fine but you do have to follow aftercare instructions to the letter. It is very easy to get complacent and for complications to set in.

I had cataracts from a young age (some people do).

Advertisement