Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GSM Line Fault HKC

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I use a three sim in mine rather than the HKC app. I’ll keep an eye on it and see if it happens again, as others have posted, if we could turn off the beeping it wouldn’t be that much of an issue as it has happened 3 times in 2019 according to my texts and about 4 times in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭mckildare

This has started to happen again recently after a long peaceful break. Only a few so far but getting more and more. Have noticed Eir working in the neighbourhood so wonder if that has something to do with it.

"No signal" status in the GSM module through the comms menu. Probably needs a firmware update at this stage anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,637 ✭✭✭✭altor

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I use a three sim in mine rather than the HKC app. I’ll keep an eye on it and see if it happens again, as others have posted, if we could turn off the beeping it wouldn’t be that much of an issue as it has happened 3 times in 2019 according to my texts and about 4 times in 2018.

You can turn off the line monitor in the GSM options.
    Only problem with this is you never know if its gone down.

mckildare wrote: »
    This has started to happen again recently after a long peaceful break. Only a few so far but getting more and more. Have noticed Eir working in the neighbourhood so wonder if that has something to do with it.

"No signal" status in the GSM module through the comms menu. Probably needs a firmware update at this stage anyway?

That would be down to the service provider of the sim you are using.
    Have you tried using a vodafone sim in the unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Hi guys, I have a HKC award fitted around 4 years ago. Getting a GSM line fault. Forgot to top up the mobile. I have since topped it up and it's still flashing. Honestly I'd like to disarm the GSM altogether. We never use it and it's hassle trying to remember to top it up. Any idea why mine is still flashing. Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Advertisement

Hi guys, I have a HKC award fitted around 4 years ago. Getting a GSM line fault. Forgot to top up the mobile. I have since topped it up and it's still flashing. Honestly I'd like to disarm the GSM altogether. We never use it and it's hassle trying to remember to top it up. Any idea why mine is still flashing. Thanks in advance for any advice.

To disable you would need engineer access.
    Go into engineer mode, communicators, GSM and disable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 andyroid

Had my first ever GSM line fault after many years without an issue (using the SecureComm service). It started on the morning of the 24th Feb, and the alarm panel has displayed the fault ever since. But, it just seems to have started working again, i.e. fault cleared, everything back to normal.

Anyone else have a similar experience recently or is it just an isolated case?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

andyroid wrote: »
    Had my first ever GSM line fault after many years without an issue (using the SecureComm service). It started on the morning of the 24th Feb, and the alarm panel has shown displayed the fault ever since. But, it just seems to have started working again, i.e. fault cleared, everything back to normal.

Just got the same tonight, think I got one last year as well but it corrected itself within an hour or so.

Cant log into app either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

There is an issue currently with the GPRS communication on the Eir mobile network, that maybe the primary network that your communicator is on.

I take it that your communicator is not also connected to your Wifi ?

Had my first ever GSM line fault after many years without an issue (using the SecureComm service). It started on the morning of the 24th Feb, and the alarm panel has displayed the fault ever since. But, it just seems to have started working again, i.e. fault cleared, everything back to normal.

Just got the same tonight, think I got one last year as well but it corrected itself within an hour or so.

Cant log into app either

Eir have had issues the last few days so more than likely it has been connected to that network.
    Issue with a few which has fixed itself today also.

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »
    There is an issue currently with the GPRS communication on the Eir mobile network, that maybe the primary network that your communicator is on.

I take it that your communicator is not also connected to your Wifi ?

No its not, still not back though.

No its not, still not back though.

For some reason the system is staying connected to the Eir network even though this networks GPRS is not working correctly.

If you can down power and power back up the alarm, battery and mains, it will automatically do a rescan of the networks in your area.

altor wrote: »
    For some reason the system is staying connected to the Eir network even though this networks GPRS is not working correctly.

If you can down power and power back up the alarm, battery and mains, it will automatically do a rescan of the networks in your area.

Don't want to touch the alarm box, if I hit the power going to alarm and then switch back on will that be the same?

Don't want to touch the alarm box, if I hit the power going to alarm and then switch back on will that be the same?

No as you would need back up battery disconnected for a full down power.
    You may need your installer to do this for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 andyroid

Eir have had issues the last few days so more than likely it has been connected to that network.
    Issue with a few which has fixed itself today also.

Thanks to you and others who have replied and shared your thoughts and experience on this matter. I have had no further issues since the line fault disappeared the night I posted. It was however out for almost an entire week, which seems pretty poor.

I was surprised to learn about a system dependency on a single mobile network. It was my understanding that these GSM-SC cards were using "World Data Sims" that would freely join whatever network was available. So I would have expected if a line fault persisted for more than a specified time when connected to a particular network, that there would be some logic embedded within the card or panel that initiates a scan for another network, and attempts to connect to that instead, and so on until a connection is restored.

Thanks to you and others who have replied and shared your thoughts and experience on this matter. I have had no further issues since the line fault disappeared the night I posted. It was however out for almost an entire week, which seems pretty poor.

I was surprised to learn about a system dependency on a single mobile network. It was my understanding that these GSM-SC cards were using "World Data Sims" that would freely join whatever network was available. So I would have expected if a line fault persisted for more than a specified time when connected to a particular network, that there would be some logic embedded within the card or panel that initiates a scan for another network, and attempts to connect to that instead, and so on until a connection is restored.

Yes it usually does but for some reason the Eir Network stayed up and the panel would stick to the strongest signal it was seeing even tho GPRS was down on Eir network.

GSM line fault for the last 6 days, now this morning everything OK and can log into App.

GSM line fault for the last 6 days, now this morning everything OK and can log into App.

Thanks for the update.

They are trying to port everyone away from the Eir network as still some issues with them.

Thanks for the update.

They are trying to port everyone away from the Eir network as still some issues with them.

Ya cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Mic-12345

Iv had this for about 3 or 4 months. GSM line fault every morning.
    Recently the alarm would actual go off at random times and say "GSM line tamper"

Had to get the original engineer to turn off the GSM line feature. Will likely just cancel the sim contract with HKC.

• Advertisement

Mic-12345 wrote: »
    Iv had this for about 3 or 4 months. GSM line fault every morning.
    Recently the alarm would actual go off at random times and say "GSM line tamper"

Had to get the original engineer to turn off the GSM line feature. Will likely just cancel the sim contract with HKC.

That will stop the system looking for the line dropping.
    Did the engineer say what the signal was like in the area using the sim provided?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,557 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Did you resolve this, driving us nuts, every few days for past 6 weeks or so, we get a gsm fault at all hours of day and night and it just clears once you silence alarm. Alarm is 6 years old and never had any issues except having to replace main battery.

Advertisement