Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying Apartment Tallaght Square area

Options
  • 24-06-2018 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I am looking at buying an apartment near the tallaght square. Anyone know if the area is good or bad? Any issues with the apartments or surroundings.

Any advice, much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

Softies wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking at buying an apartment near the tallaght square. Anyone know if the area is good or bad? Any issues with the apartments or surroundings.

Around the square is pretty okay imo. Some blocks are better than others. I don't like Tuansgate, but I do like the ones near the Luas/Library. I've been in a few and they're well laid out too. You might want to have a look in Tallaght Village too, there's some nice apartments there, New Bancroft Hall I think the name is.

Edit: the vast majority of Tallaght is fine, but a fair few would avoid the Jobstown/Fettercairn/Killinardan areas, but there's little to no apartment blocks in these areas anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Softies

Thanks. I am more looking to be closer to the Luas, like the belgard square.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

The surroundings of Belgard Square are basically all people coming and going to the Luas/Square shopping centre/hospital/bus stops. It would be fairly busy but I don't think much people hanging around for the sake of hanging around if you know what I mean. Transport links are obviously excellent with Luas and at least 7 bus routes serving varied parts of South Dublin e.g. 75/76 and taking different routes into city centre 77a/54a/65 and over to the North side 27.

Im terms of amenities Tallaght has everything. At The Square you have Tesco, Dunnes, lots of restaurants and clothes shops, cinema is good and there are other retail areas nearby plus Aldi and Lidl both close. Civic Theatre is nice, library is great, Tallaght Stadium is close by and you will hear the events from Belgard Square but maybe the apartments themselves are sound proofed against this. Lots of sports clubs and gyms and a few leisure centres around.

My best advice would be to head to the area at various times of day on different days and see what kind of people are hanging around.

As for the specific apartments themselves I have no experience but they certainly look bigger and nicer than others in the area

@Qrt Why do you not like Tuansgate, friend of mine lived there which seemed ok.

@CashQ & @sugarman thank you so much. Does give me a good relief knowing area is ok and yes aware of the noisy pub which got close as mentioned a friend of mine lived in Tuansgate and mentioned it too.

I never considered the Village, must look into it. Appreciate you all replying back, enjoy the sunny weather ��

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Catlady76

Softies wrote: »
    Hi,

I owned an apt in Broadfield Hall which is across from the library, the area is grand you have all of the amenities, you do get some groups hanging around down outside the library but usually security move them off. The restaurant is also there and does have an outside area but its not that noisy. When I lived there ( sold it in 2017 ) a bar / restaurant was open where Peachtree is now and we never got one nights sleep hence why I sold it and moved on but in general the area is well maintained by Comer property management and the people who live in the apts are grand, lots of families and professional people. I would steer clear of West Tallaght and stay down the end near the Luas. I am not a fan of Tuansgate myself but that is just because how they look and the location of them. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 10 briano1979

Hi everyone,

I'm in the same boat as Softies and have already taken a look at a few apartments in the area.

Have also stayed in the area for a few days at a time to get a feel for the place.

Has anyone any opinion on Losset Hall or Aengus Hall?

Saw two nice apartments in there which looked decent so interested in people's experience of them, especially of neighbours and the likes.

Likewise, based on some of the posts here, is the area generally okay if getting a bus into town after 11 PM on a Saturday evening or coming back late from the airport on the Luas after the Airhopper has stopped running?

Thanks in advance!

Also, if anyone has experience or opinions of Abberley Square, that would also be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

briano1979 wrote:
    Also, if anyone has experience or opinions of Abberley Square, that would also be gratefully appreciated.

No idea on the apartments themselves, the area is busy, right beside the Square Shopping Centre and Village, lots of traffic passes on the Belgard Road, lots of people walking through the area to and from the Square Shopping Centre. Faces a 24hour McDonalds and the Garda Station so I imagine it can be busy overnight too. Right beside the Abberly Court Hotel/Pub which has a beer garden close to the apartments. I could be wrong but I think the hotel is used as temporary accommodation for homeless families, kids play outside it a lot. Street drinkers around the area a lot too. I could be painting a negative picture there but that's my impression of the area having walked by a lot over the past year, and having grown up in Tallaght and seen this area change a lot.

Cash_Q wrote: »
    No idea on the apartments themselves, the area is busy, right beside the Square Shopping Centre and Village, lots of traffic passes on the Belgard Road, lots of people walking through the area to and from the Square Shopping Centre. Faces a 24hour McDonalds and the Garda Station so I imagine it can be busy overnight too. Right beside the Abberly Court Hotel/Pub which has a beer garden close to the apartments. I could be wrong but I think the hotel is used as temporary accommodation for homeless families, kids play outside it a lot. Street drinkers around the area a lot too. I could be painting a negative picture there but that's my impression of the area having walked by a lot over the past year, and having grown up in Tallaght and seen this area change a lot.

Thanks so much Cash_Q! I'll take a closer look and maybe stay in the hotel overnight to get a better picture.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Abberley is not open to hotel guests as the rooms and nightclub have been converted to a family hub for SDCC. I'd imagine it's less noisy than when it had an active nightclub although there'd be noise at different times now

The bar is still open

L1011 wrote: »
    The Abberley is not open to hotel guests as the rooms and nightclub have been converted to a family hub for SDCC. I'd imagine it's less noisy than when it had an active nightclub although there'd be noise at different times now

The bar is still open

Thank you so much @L1011 ! This is great to know and I'll keep it in mind.

Take it you have no insights on Aengus Hall by the Square?

Looked at apartment there in October as mentioned above and it was being rented at the time. Looked really nice and price went from 215K to 199K as owner trying to make quick sale.

It has 24 hour security too but wondering if you had heard of any gotchas as that price for the location makes me a bit suspicious! 😀

Sorry guys to ask for your advice on (hopefully) one last one but has anyone any opinion or experience on the Priors Gate apartments?

Saw one for sale on DAFT which, although pricey, looked really nice with a great view of the mountains from the balcony.

It is about 15-20 minutes walk from the Luas and associated bus stop which is a pain but near Westpark gym and 27 bus stop so still not bad.

I've also heard one review say they are the best apartment block in Tallaght so keen to see if anyone agrees.

Thanks for all your help so far - it's been greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

briano1979 wrote: »
    Sorry guys to ask for your advice on (hopefully) one last one but has anyone any opinion or experience on the Priors Gate apartments?

Saw one for sale on DAFT which, although pricey, looked really nice with a great view of the mountains from the balcony.

It is about 15-20 minutes walk from the Luas and associated bus stop which is a pain but near Westpark gym and 27 bus stop so still not bad.

I've also heard one review say they are the best apartment block in Tallaght so keen to see if anyone agrees.

Thanks for all your help so far - it's been greatly appreciated!

I think they’re meant to be grand. Definitely liveable. The village is a bit dead but nothing overly bad, a lot better since Iceland and the adjacent apartments were completed. Of course you’ve Dominic’s too if you ever need cheap biscuits.

The 65 is a handy bus. It’s the most direct way into town, but infrequent. It’s due to get a lot better with BusConnects too.

Thanks so much @qrt!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Anyone has an advise about Virginia Hall by any chance? Is it safe to live there? Is it noisy during the evening/night? Would be much appreciated!!

Advertisement